Soundboard... is it worth the money?

PaulKersey

Hi there,

Long story short, Walls are 2course brick, but can hear neighbours tv/music even on a low-ish volume. Going to have a reskim soon & Just looking at some possible soundproofing systems for the living room.

I have seen a system online called Soundboard4, which you can just use hammerfix screws to fix the board over your existing wall. There about £66 per board. 30mm thick. I don’t mind paying that amount, but just wanted to see if Anyone used any of these or purchased any? If so is it worth the lay out?.

Thanks

Attachments

• 8736269C-D33E-4369-B9CA-B146A2DD9317.jpeg
    8736269C-D33E-4369-B9CA-B146A2DD9317.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 311
  • CD529D95-E96E-4F15-82E8-7F0A240D0DEF.jpeg
    CD529D95-E96E-4F15-82E8-7F0A240D0DEF.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 320
Hi there,

Long story short, Walls are 2course brick, but can hear neighbours tv/music even on a low-ish volume. Going to have a reskim soon & Just looking at some possible soundproofing systems for the living room.

I have seen a system online called Soundboard4, which you can just use hammerfix screws to fix the board over your existing wall. There about £66 per board. 30mm thick. I don’t mind paying that amount, but just wanted to see if Anyone used any of these or purchased any? If so is it worth the lay out?.

Thanks
I wouldn't fix them to the wall kind of defeats the purpose as there's a physical connection between the wall and the board, what you want to do is have no connection to the original wall.

Hi there,

Thanks

Ive fitted some for a customer, but he’d already bought them. Piece of piss to fit. Probably don’t perform miracles but good if space limited.

air gap and ‘isolated/floating’ wall better like a recording studio, but depends on type of floor and other factors .

Ive fitted some for a customer, but he’d already bought them. Piece of piss to fit. Probably don’t perform miracles but good if space limited.

air gap and ‘isolated/floating’ wall better like a recording studio, but depends on type of floor and other factors .
Mass and isolation, not to mention the frequency which is most problematic.
High frequencies have shorter waves and are more reflective and lower frequencies have longer waves so they can travel much further so they can pass through physical boundaries.

Mass and isolation, not to mention the frequency which is most problematic.
High frequencies have shorter waves and are more reflective and lower frequencies have longer waves so they can travel much further so they can pass through physical boundaries.

correct

Makes no difference if you have a suspended timber floor, start from the ground up, sound resonates through voids
What if you had a dense rubber between floor and board and the same at all solid joints ie in a picture frame mode , the double sound board with the rubber in-between if fitted with foam insulation would be better than a hammer fix ?

Got a customer wants this

On party walls 3 bed terraced house
It's got lath ceilings been artexed , he's spent 3 days removing most of the highpoints and wants overskim ( they're f**k*d ) doesn't want to reboard with joist void rockwooled , some people know how to budget a build lol

I’ve put some on party walls on my house. Walls were hacked back to brick, floated with hardwall and quick skim coat on. Left to dry then primed with SBR then stuck on 15mm soundbloc with acoustic adhesive.

I’ve put some on party walls on my house. Walls were hacked back to brick, floated with hardwall and quick skim coat on. Left to dry then primed with SBR then stuck on 15mm soundbloc with acoustic adhesive.
The issue I have is the weight , at 41 kg for 1200 square it's a lot of mass

Hi there,

Thanks
SAY AGAIN MATE?

There are so many variables with sound proofing wheat I normally say is I can install it but won't guarantee it will improve sound resistance. You have the issue of flanking noise etc.

There are so many variables with sound proofing wheat I normally say is I can install it but won't guarantee it will improve sound resistance. You have the issue of flanking noise etc.
What kind of a sound proofer are you?

I’ve used soundboard a few times, not a lot, so all I can go off is feedback from those few who were pleased with it

I thought I read on here somewhere that you can get an adhesive foam for soundboards that help with the whole sound travelling through solid stuff?

I’ve used soundboard a few times, not a lot, so all I can go off is feedback from those few who were pleased with it

I thought I read on here somewhere that you can get an adhesive foam for soundboards that help with the whole sound travelling through solid stuff?

Using this today... Customer wants 25mm. Batten fixed to party wall then 1 layer of standard pb with dB fixed over to top... My question is, won't the fixings from the batten help transfer sound through the wall? I suggested a stud wall Built in front (1 inch away from wall) with rockwall insulation then thr 2 sheets of board but he was worried he'd lose too much of the room.