sorry pva again

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1

sorry to keep bringing pva up bust still causing me agro
had to re skim some walls in a kitchen,filled some holes with bonding pva d the walls with week pva water mixture let it dry (3 hours) felt dry ? put another coat on a bit stronger let it go tacky then spread on it got 1st coat on then it started to crack anr when i put second coat on it all just slid about HELP ! not the first time and its doing my head in as well as costing me money (time) i use wickes pva not the waterproof one is this the problem ?.

mate of mine said he just puts one of neat ish coat of pva on then when it goes tacky he goes striaght on it is ths sound ?

If it's cracking then you ain't killed the suction. Assessing and controlling the suction is an essential skill for plastering. Two coats of PVA dried between coats and another let go tacky will deal with almost any wall.
Splash the wall with water. If it disappears straight away then it needs something drastic. When You've PVA'd it and let it dry splash it again and the water should sit on the surface for a while.
Alternatively use Wickes bonding Agent. It's dry in three hours and never caused me a problem.

make the first coat the thick of coat of pva, lets say 1:3 let that dry completely
then apply the second alot thinner say 1:6 it should go tacky quite quikly.

the plaster sliped because the pva was to thick on the second coat

I bet if you touched the first coat around the cracks it would also have slid. The key is not to panic. Just let the first coat pull-in so it doesn't slide and then mix up and put second coat on. And remember, although skimming is two-coat work if needs be just put a third on.

I had this exact problem on saturday, but IO noticed it after my first coat when I was giving it a trowel, fortunately the second coat went on perfect and had no problems, but like Macky suggested I would've just had to put a third coat on if I needed to but thank god I dodn't because I was fed up by the end of it (just seemed like one problem after another lately) :'(

av stopped assin on with ratios a just add a bit water so its a little runny works for me!!!

just do what the PvA instuctions tell you, the tub I have at the momment says 1 sealing coat of 5/1 when dry add 1 coat of 3/1 apply plaster while tacky this is the guidline for your average walls on a re skim

i havent done many re skims over the last 15 year or so i am doing one saturday I have been for a couple of hours today to seal the walls and beed up, the walls seem decent so i am going with what the instructions say a problem I have is the walls have some deep hairline cracks all over, well bigger than hairline but not big enough to rake out, but they ars solid walls so I have just neat unibonded the craks

you domestic guys have I done right?

yes pug I was going to do this but there was far to many, so I neat unibonded the cracks and troweled over them with a touch of skimming so should be ok for tommorow you think it will work?

Got any fibre mesh tommy,if so bed the mesh in the first scim coat,then lay in a bit thicker than normal and finnish as per ,no cracks and it seems to go off quicker.

yes pug I was going to do this but there was far to many, so I neat unibonded the cracks and troweled over them with a touch of skimming so should be ok for tommorow you think it will work?
we can't get them all can we! ive done jobs and thought it's ok i'll scrim the cracks and then i gypbond it and i can't find the fookers!
my mate had a job a reskim on p/board and he had unibond etc ready, when he turned up the chap had sanded all the plaster off the walls back to the board ;D
he hasn't got a driving license so he couldn't get some scrim and ended up cutting back the joints on the board and filling them with scim and touch wood he hasnt heard back and this was a while ago

wow you domestic guys have a hard time, first re skim on old work i have done in years and years forgot how much harder it is, a st forward sitting room @37m, walls good all but the cracks but made the job no harder

Friday 3 hours preparing room, floor coverin sealing coat of PVA,chimmney breast and window beeded up, go to B&Q to get 5 bags of Multi

Sat 8.15 coat up with PVA, 4 batches, took 4bags exactly, thought it would be an easy day so never took the boy mixer got home 4.30 shattered harderst day I have put in in years

its took me best part of one and a half days to re skim 37m of decent walls, on new board work I could have done it myself in 4 hours

think the boy will be with me next re skim I do

I've stopped putting 2 coats of PVA on most re-skims etc as too time consuming waiting for second coat to go tacky. I use one coat of around 3:1 and slosh it on. I tend to PVA whatever needs skimming before I get anything else out the van (apart from dust sheets  ;)). Once I've put the beads on and scrimmed any cracks the walls are ready.

I can hit whichever walls I want to, depending on what's left in the bucket. If the PVA has dried before I skim it, it makes no difference. As long as the wall has that PVA sheen to it there ain't no problem.

I haven't encountered any problems doing it this way and with just one coat of PVA the plaster pulls in a bit quicker and I can get a set done a bit quicker without waiting around. Works for me  :)

I've stopped putting 2 coats of PVA on most re-skims etc as too time consuming waiting for second coat to go tacky. I use one coat of around 3:1 and slosh it on. I tend to PVA whatever needs skimming before I get anything else out the van (apart from dust sheets  ;)). Once I've put the beads on and scrimmed any cracks the walls are ready.

I can hit whichever walls I want to, depending on what's left in the bucket. If the PVA has dried before I skim it, it makes no difference. As long as the wall has that PVA sheen to it there ain't no problem.

I haven't encountered any problems doing it this way and with just one coat of PVA the plaster pulls in a bit quicker and I can get a set done a bit quicker without waiting around. Works for me  :)

Atlast someone else who does what I have been saying for a long long time, one coat of pva is all you need (95% of the time) two coats is a waste of pva money and more importantly my time thankyou lee

Yea but on some surfaces like bone dry red brick before plastering its advisable to put 2 or 3 coats on before rendering...obviously depending on how quick you are and size of surface area.

Yea but on some surfaces like bone dry red brick before plastering its advisable to put 2 or 3 coats on before rendering...obviously depending on how quick you are and size of surface area.
If its bone dry brick before plastering gyprime i find is best you can dilute it and get 600m out of a tub, as for render a pre rend is best HP12 or Weber rend aid

WHAT! we was talking about re-skims not float and set

anyone who's reading this who's interested in plastering you should always go over pva when it's tacky ...............this is what sticks it to a wall with no key , you cant give a wall one coat of pva and skim it while its tacky because it will pull in too quick  :p

anyone who's reading this who's interested in plastering you should always go over pva when it's tacky ...............this is what sticks it to a wall with no key , you cant give a wall one coat of pva and skim it while its tacky because it will pull in too quick  :p

I can assure ive been doing this over ten years with one coat of pva (95% of the time) never had any problems come backs or anything like that, one coat of roughly 3,1 is all it needs, as for it pulling in too quick, experience tells you what walls will pull in too quick which i give two coats of pva but hardly ever.

The only problems I've had with PVA over the years is plaster dragging across the wall 'cos the second coat still ain't gone tacky and I got too impatient. That's my own fault I know, but I haven't had ANY problems using 1 coat of PVA.

As for pulling in too quick, I still find myself waiting around after using 1 coat of PVA. Self praise is no recommendation but I can lay on very quickly and then flatten off almost straight away. Get second coat on and job's almost done :)

Status
Not open for further replies.