Soot stains

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigfella

Alright boys & girls is there anything I can put on a chimney breast to stop soot stain coming through before skimming, customer had a plasterer do up stairs and he sealed the chimney before but it's still bleed through?

Can't do much because fancy coving just re skim but didn't know if there was something I could paint on? Would a stain blocker work?

Done this before....hack off,membrane and replaster or dab on boards and skim...costly but effective..but many go for other cheaper,come back price:rolleyes:

Belt and braces job this one soot is hygroscopic (I think that's the word) it keeps sucking up water in the atmosphere and reactivating. Just skimming will reactivate it. Maybe a hit and miss vent in the chimney if it is redundant. Salt inhibitor etc.

I normally bleach solution with a wire brush then sbr over then put a sand an cement scratch cost with sbr in let it dry for a couple of days then your good to go worked for me in the past

Zinsser 123 in red can, when dry put a coat of plasprime or equivalent on it, have done this several times after it was specified by an architect.

Status
Not open for further replies.