Sometimes 125mm ain't enough - suggestions for a decent 230mm angle grinder?

MakeItSmooth

Not strictly plastering-related, but anyone got any experience of a really good 230mm angle grinder?

I'm not looking to spend Hilti money, but looking for a fairly decent one.

Currently considering this:

www.ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Metabo-W22-230Mvt-4007430268433-240V-230Mm-Large-Angle-Grinder

Truth be told, I'd prefer one with variable speed, but I haven't yet found a variable mains-powered one. Variable isn't totally necessary but the extra control would be nice to have.

I'm looking for 230v, not cordless.

Cheers for any suggestions (y)

I’ve bought a couple of cheaper ones in the past (Macallister etc) and they burn out/ don’t work as well as a medium - high quality ones. 90% of my power tools are Dewalt but they didn’t have a 240v 9” grinder in stock so got a Makita and I can’t fault it. It’s night and day compared to the cheaper ones cuts through flags smoothly as opposed to rattling your arms loose with the budget. Hope this helps

Inherited a cheapo make and to be fair it lasted well but where the spindle is pressed in at the head it came loose in the end
So,…. Got a Makita so far great

It’s night and day compared to the cheaper ones cuts through flags smoothly as opposed to rattling your arms loose with the budget.

With the 115/125/150mm grinders, I've found the same thing. Fein grinders have way less vibration than DeWalt's DWE4206 grinder, even though I previously liked the DeWalt.

Don't know for sure, but I suspect Fein may be machine-cutting their spiral drive and crown gears from solid steel, as opposed to (I presume) DeWalt and many others using moulded sintered metal for theirs, to save costs. I'm mostly referring to 115/125mm grinders in relation to that. 230mm grinders may more commonly have machined billet gears, to cope with the increased loads.

With the 115/125/150mm grinders, I've found the same thing. Fein grinders have way less vibration than DeWalt's DWE4206 grinder, even though I previously liked the DeWalt.

Don't know for sure, but I suspect Fein may be machine-cutting their spiral drive and crown gears from solid steel, as opposed to (I presume) DeWalt and many others using moulded sintered metal for theirs, to save costs.
The Dewalt 18v 4” grinder is smooth but eats the batteries

Dewalt tools have generally improved in recent years. But most of their range suffer from vibrations. They don't have that polished finish the likes of makita, panasonic and milwaukee have.

Grinders though, at 9", bosch, milwaukee and dewalt are good and maybe makita a tad better.

The daddy though, is the metabo for me.

The Dewalt 18v 4” grinder is smooth but eats the batteries

Haven't tried their cordless (although I am on their 18v platform). Don't get me wrong, the Dewalt DWE4206 is a great little grinder for £65, and I really liked mine. It doesn't vibrate much. I was just surprised when I bought a Fein to replace it and noticed how much quieter and smoother the Fein is. Maybe 20-25% difference, but it's definitely noticeable.

at 9", bosch, milwaukee and dewalt are good and maybe makita a tad better.

The daddy though, is the metabo for me.

Yeah, I'll be going for the Metabo I linked in the 1st post, unless someone can show me something better for ideally no more than £200, because I'm aware of Metabo's reputation for bullet-proof angle grinders (the German-manufactured ones, not the farmed-out Chinese models. I need to actually check that the model I linked is German-made or I won't consider buying it).

Odd how I haven't seen a (mains-powered) variable speed option (from any manufacturer) in the 230mm/9" segment.

I’ve bought a couple of cheaper ones in the past (Macallister etc) and they burn out/ don’t work as well as a medium - high quality ones. 90% of my power tools are Dewalt but they didn’t have a 240v 9” grinder in stock so got a Makita and I can’t fault it. It’s night and day compared to the cheaper ones cuts through flags smoothly as opposed to rattling your arms loose with the budget. Hope this helps
you wont fault any makita stuff

Everyone I’ve talked to that has Metabo tools has rated them highly, if I hadn’t already got as much Dewalt cordless I’d of went with them. But what’s their batteries like that’s what put me off Makita the batteries are not as good as Dewalt

Everyone I’ve talked to that has Metabo tools has rated them highly, if I hadn’t already got as much Dewalt cordless I’d of went with them. But what’s their batteries like that’s what put me off Makita the batteries are not as good as Dewalt

As I said, Metabo farms some of their tools out to China (I vaguely recall Fein are guilty of this, too, for some models), which is a shame because they're undermining their great reputation in the industry.

PREMIUM high-horsepower motors with serious power reserves under load (in excess of stated figures) and real overload capability, require plenty of copper in the windings, high tolerance armature balancing, high accuracy commutator machining, and high quality (both design and components) electronics.

Whenever a sub-contractor wants to penny-pinch, you can guarantee that the first thing they'll probably do is try to sneakily skimp on the copper windings.

That 230v 5" Fein grinder I mentioned has really impressed me with how gutsy it is under load (diamond cup grinding, with a shroud). Bloody hell, the thing just powers through when other grinders would go up in smoke, or at least slow down so drastically that they're hardly worth using. That kind of performance shows me that the reason the Fein weighs a ton is probably because it's got a boatload of copper in the windings. It's made me appreciate that for high-load operations (cup-grinding with an angle grinder being an ideal example), it is worth paying for a German-made motor. The Germans don't mess around with their motor windings.

Regarding Makita batteries, I know what you mean - for the most part, I have a lot of respect for Makita's tools, but they really let down a lot of trades with their bad batteries, 5yrs or so ago. A few people have told me since then that Makita star batteries are now on-par with competitors, but I don't know how true that is. I suspect it probably is true because Makita must've lost a lot of business from that cock-up, and wouldn't want to keep losing customers.

Metabo tools that use CAS batteries (not all of their tools did, the last time I checked) have one of the very best quality battery platforms in the industry. If Metabo didn't have such a mixed bag of cordless tool offerings, and if all their cordless tools were made in Germany (which not all of them are), then I'd happily jump to the CAS platform.

I use a Fein MultiMaster OMT and their batteries only work for Fein units, which is a pain, but there you go. They recently announced that they will be migrating over to the Bosch battery platform, which I understand considering that they have co-developed the Starlock blade fitment system with Bosch. I also understand it from the point of view that Bosch do make decent battery packs (Festool's proprietary battery packs are manufactured by Bosch, too). However, I still think it's a foolish move for Fein when they could've gone with the CAS platform, which loads of highly-respected German powertool manufacturers have joined.

Last edited:
As I said, Metabo farms some of their tools out to China (I vaguely recall Fein are guilty of this, too, for some models), which is a shame because they're undermining their great reputation in the industry.

PREMIUM high-horsepower motors with serious power reserves under load (in excess of stated figures) and real overload capability, require plenty of copper in the windings, high tolerance armature balancing, high accuracy commutator machining, and high quality (both design and components) electronics.

Whenever a sub-contractor wants to penny-pinch, you can guarantee that the first thing they'll probably do is try to sneakily skimp on the copper windings.

That 230v 5" Fein grinder I mentioned has really impressed me with how gutsy it is under load (diamond cup grinding, with a shroud). Bloody hell, the thing just powers through when other grinders would go up in smoke, or at least slow down so drastically that they're hardly worth using. That kind of performance shows me that the reason the Fein weighs a ton is probably because it's got a boatload of copper in the windings. It's made me appreciate that for high-load operations (cup-grinding with an angle grinder being an ideal example), it is worth paying for a German-made motor. The Germans don't mess around with their motor windings.

Regarding Makita batteries, I know what you mean - for the most part, I have a lot of respect for Makita's tools, but they really let down a lot of trades with their bad batteries, 5yrs or so ago. A few people have told me since then that Makita star batteries are now on-par with competitors, but I don't know how true that is. I suspect it probably is true because Makita must've lost a lot of business from that cock-up, and wouldn't want to keep losing customers.

Metabo tools that use CAS batteries (not all of their tools did, the last time I checked) have one of the very best quality battery platforms in the industry. If Metabo didn't have such a mixed bag of cordless tool offerings, and if all their cordless tools were made in Germany (which not all of them are), then I'd happily jump to the CAS platform.

I use a Fein MultiMaster OMT and their batteries only work for Fein units, which is a pain, but there you go. They recently announced that they will be migrating over to the Bosch battery platform, which I understand considering that they have co-developed the Starlock blade fitment system with Bosch. I also understand it from the point of view that Bosch do make decent battery packs (Festool's proprietary battery packs are manufactured by Bosch, too). However, I still think it's a foolish move for Fein when they could've gone with the CAS platform, which loads of highly-respected German powertool manufacturers have joined.
All their li ion batteries for the last 10 odd years are the very same fitment as the CAS systems.

I have some that are the early li ions and they're all the same.

Collomix, eibenstock, rothenburger etc etc.

All their li ion batteries for the last 10 odd years are the very same fitment as the CAS systems.

I have some that are the early li ions and they're all the same.

Collomix, eibenstock, rothenburger etc etc.

Metabo may have started including LiHD CAS batteries with all their powertools now - been a while since I checked, but last I checked, quite a few of their tools were still being sold with old-style packs, not LiHD.

Fitment-wise, you make a good point.

By the way, I didn't realise Eibenstock and Rothenberger were compatible with Metabo batteries long before the CAS LiHD platform was created, so you've taught me something, there (y)

Anyway, back to 230v 230mm/9" grinders, I'm still all-ears for suggestions ideally sub-£200, and ideally with variable speed.

Metabo may have started including LiHD CAS batteries with all their powertools now - been a while since I checked, but last I checked, quite a few of their tools were still being sold with old-style packs, not LiHD.

Fitment-wise, you make a good point.

By the way, I didn't realise Eibenstock and Rothenberger were compatible with Metabo batteries long before the CAS LiHD platform was created, so you've taught me something, there (y)

Anyway, back to 230v 230mm/9" grinders, I'm still all-ears for suggestions ideally sub-£200, and ideally with variable speed.

what you using it for? 9” grinder is something that I only use occasionally

It's a hell of a list.

Loads of top brands, like scangrip lights, mafell (some of the best carpentry powertools available), rokamat who do the render power float too.

Tbh a lot of gear that i don't use on a daily basis I just hire! Yes maybe a bit dearer but always top quality gear and it don't take up unwanted space in van or garage and if anything goes wrong it's a quick change no hassle!

what you using it for? 9” grinder is something that I only use occasionally

A few weeks back, I was levelling an old uneven seam on a mate's concrete kitchen floor using a 125mm grinder (a new section had been badly added, about 20years ago, when they'd extended the kitchen). The 125 grinding cup worked well enough, but it was a bit like trying to plaster an entire wall using a midget trowel, so I told myself it was time I bought a bigger grinder for when random jobs like that crop up. Also useful for cutting paving slabs and bricks, if needed.

smoother makes a good point about hiring, but given that a decent 9" grinder will cost no more than £130-200, I think I'd feel like I was throwing money into thin air if I hired instead of just bought one. If we were talking about £500 or more for occasional use, I'd probably just hire.

Them angle grinders are lethal ..
Them fuxin kick backs ..... get a stihl saw
09987241-8805-417E-85AE-6B1DBE286301.gif

Not strictly plastering-related, but anyone got any experience of a really good 230mm angle grinder?

I'm not looking to spend Hilti money, but looking for a fairly decent one.

Currently considering this:

www.ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Metabo-W22-230Mvt-4007430268433-240V-230Mm-Large-Angle-Grinder

Truth be told, I'd prefer one with variable speed, but I haven't yet found a variable mains-powered one. Variable isn't totally necessary but the extra control would be nice to have.

I'm looking for 230v, not cordless.

Cheers for any suggestions (y)
I've had one of these for some years and have cut both steel and sandstone slabs without any issues. I'd buy another without question if mine were to need replacing.
Screenshot_20211030-224644.png

no response
That grinder will not plunge enough to cut /brick /pavers / in link is what you need./or if you have the stihl stuff , they do a battery saw. (maybe you can use your batteries)
Never would sharpen anything with a grinder it needs to be on a bench
Accident waiting to happen )