Someone tell me why .. Nela s/f and refina plastic

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajdbuild

Don't get on with the nela sf but get on with refina plastic ??

problems I have with nela - rides over bumps ,leaves tiger stripes

with refina plastic don't get any of that same timings used and there both flexible trowels and nela should be better if anything .

i always 1st trowel with mt to make sure it's nice and flat and by then its quite firm for either trowel to go over and do its magic but with the nela I wouldn't get bumps at this stay but tiger stripes .

my plastic trowel has a nice rounded edge to it ..bit worn in if you like and 2nd trowels the work brilliant pretty much finishes it.
but the nela would drag and tear and strip the surface .

.........you'll get more bumps trowelling with plastic than a s/f unless its a non foam backed refina plastic blade :RpS_thumbup:

your on your gear too late with a s/f if your getting tiger stripes

i dont understand all the problems with trowels, if your a plasterer , you should be able to use any trowel, some prefer a certain make and style, but its getting a bit mad now, with all the questions regarding how to use this and that etc.... I got a new 16x5 mt the other day by mistake, and used it on a job, walls trowelled up nice, and i dont even use mt... did trowel up well tho..

Fair point. I get no problems with my mt never have ..but never get that same confident finish with others . Sorry il stop posting about the trowels if its annoying you

I don't think I can buy another fancy trowel ..I was taught by a old school always used stainless same finish same way every time .he would probably say its all aload of rubbish

Fair point. I get no problems with my mt never have ..but never get that same confident finish with others . Sorry il stop posting about the trowels if its annoying you

doesnt annoy me pal, its just getting a bit much... stick with the mt if it works for you, but the s*p*r*lex is worth using...

I have never bothered with all these new trowels all I use are 13 and 11 inch carbon trowels. Used them style trowels for past 20 years and never had a problem so don't see the point in changing.

Il just put it down to a phase I'm going through when I say I'm getting bumps n tigers its not really bad but I got OCD my hole life's revolves around work I have no hobbies don't go out drinking just got a moaning mrs at home moaning cos I work to much .jeeez I need to get a life

Im old school too mt for most things but got caught up in the hype when joined here and bought the s*p*r*lex which is great ive not tried the plazi or speed skim i got yet but will stick with mt and s*p*r*lex now because there seems to be something new all the time its like choosing between x box or ps2 ! one always seems better than the other if you read the hype ! and a bit expensive to have to many different toys just sitting in van waiting for a turn to do the same job.

Ajd dont let the flex BEAT YOU! try getting your 2nd coat tight as anything then flatten @10 min intervals gradually opening up your trowel then 2 final crosses works a treat for me! Also board finish in my opinion is better as your not waiting round each to there own !throw the eze spat in and theres another thread lol

Im old school too mt for most things but got caught up in the hype when joined here and bought the s*p*r*lex which is great ive not tried the plazi or speed skim i got yet but will stick with mt and s*p*r*lex now because there seems to be something new all the time its like choosing between x box or ps2 ! one always seems better than the other if you read the hype ! and a bit expensive to have to many different toys just sitting in van waiting for a turn to do the same job.
Not that expensive really mate ,not like a x box or ps2 :RpS_wink: and if trying something new out,makes your day easy and more productive then it,s got to be worth a try ,from an old trowel hand :RpS_blushing:

Agree they all probably make things a bit easier and maybe quicker/better by i tiny amount more or they wouldnt sell, its just as soon as you get one then another claiming to be even better comes out so where do you stop to give what you just bought a chance to shine ?

dont worry about marra, Cassie has just broke his leg in another thread but carried on, Its probably smarting alittle bit that's why he's being tetchy...........................oh, and he wears white work pants..................between you and me i reckon he loves it up the gary............:RpS_wink:

Don't get on with the nela sf but get on with refina plastic ??

problems I have with nela - rides over bumps ,leaves tiger stripes

with refina plastic don't get any of that same timings used and there both flexible trowels and nela should be better if anything .

i always 1st trowel with mt to make sure it's nice and flat and by then its quite firm for either trowel to go over and do its magic but with the nela I wouldn't get bumps at this stay but tiger stripes .

my plastic trowel has a nice rounded edge to it ..bit worn in if you like and 2nd trowels the work brilliant pretty much finishes it.
but the nela would drag and tear and strip the surface .

Why should Nela be better ?

No that's marketing.. Makes you think the object you already have is inferior when it's worked well for generations
Not really mate ,i use a speedskim from time to time ,and find it makes life easy on a large area ,i also have a g4 for rendering which makes life easy ,time does move on

I dunno cos there metal and bit stiffer? You a fan of plastic fantastic are ya?

well if everyone else is using the trowel and finding ok I should beable to . I think that 9 times out of ten the walls don't go in perfect because you have to put it on a bit thicker there to get over that and you got that many metres you catch it wrong and the mt can get over any problems thicker plaster ,pimples ,stripes every walls different it dosent go smooth all the time .plastering isn't hard it's coping with the problems to get over it .any one can skim a bit of plasterboard ,re skims are what makes a plasterer .when its summer plaster finishes quicker in the winter it hangs so timings change . Basically if I did a re skim and it went all ****** up I could leave it and give it a good seeing to with mt and it'd be fine . Everyone's different never every plasterer does it a different never met anyone that does it my way .... The nelas a bit like that song .......my minds tellin me noo but my body my bodayyy tellin me yehhhh ...I don't wana hurt nobody oooo yeeeeeh

Wat it is with me is I got taught by a one man band brilliant rep then I left him and went on my own and I've never plastered with any other decent spreads .so all I know is this one kinda finish which when painted is bang on but these other trowels close it in it finished when its still wet .so I need to work with decent spreads that got good reps and reassure me that its ment to look like that .i had one guy work for same age as me but he banged the plaster on so thin and finished it so wet you have scrim showing and when it dried fuk me u needed to fill **** loads

The s*p*r*lex if used properly leaves a flawless finish, 20140830_151633.jpg
This photo was a lounge done by me using a s*p*r*lex.

This photo is an identical room in an adjacent plot done by another 'plasterer' who I know for a fact also used a s*p*r*lex to trowel up with.
Don't think its necessarily always. the trowel.
20140830_151843.jpg

Ur one looks good mate the other one looks messy .i have used the nela on the bottom half of a 4 bedroom house and it all got painted and looked sweet but it was re skim and it was the 1st time I used it and I got caught out on a wall that was right near the front door and had the sunlight shine through when the sun light was off it it was fine . Spose I gotta keep going with the nela and become one with it ,know what it's thinking , take it bed with me ,read it bedtime story's etc and il get there . I did think it was brilliant at the start its just that little hiccup that swayed me spect if I used it on plaster board to start with which goes off better than reskim I wouldn't be like this

To be honest, and I'm one of the worst, we all, that's if you've got anything about you anyway, get far to hung up about what are finish looks like. The question that needs to be asked is what do the walls and ceiling look like when it's painted. After all the painters go in with their rollers and put orange peel on top of our work. We could just leave a flat surface and what difference would it really make? I think that we get a bit ocd trying to get the job done so we can look at it and feel proud that we've done it, long may that continue by the way or we are well and truly in the dog dodo.
Perhaps it's time to think about ourselves a little bit and look for ways of making our job, probably the most physically demanding in the construction sector, as easy as we possibly can. After 35 years and many aches and pains I love some of this new kit that's making my life easier and I've still not tried them all. What's the best, the ones that work for you

Wise words thank you mate I need to chill out ..my work is good and because of my attitude and commitment I have a good reputation and loads of builders down my end want to use me .im all booked up next year with 3 big new builds each a million plus so I have got to keep it happy medium but without taking it home with me .some people on ere may read what I write and think wtf is he for real but I've always got work non stop but its because of my attitude and strive for machine finished work

I dunno cos there metal and bit stiffer? You a fan of plastic fantastic are ya?

well if everyone else is using the trowel and finding ok I should beable to . I think that 9 times out of ten the walls don't go in perfect because you have to put it on a bit thicker there to get over that and you got that many metres you catch it wrong and the mt can get over any problems thicker plaster ,pimples ,stripes every walls different it dosent go smooth all the time .plastering isn't hard it's coping with the problems to get over it .any one can skim a bit of plasterboard ,re skims are what makes a plasterer .when its summer plaster finishes quicker in the winter it hangs so timings change . Basically if I did a re skim and it went all ****** up I could leave it and give it a good seeing to with mt and it'd be fine . Everyone's different never every plasterer does it a different never met anyone that does it my way .... The nelas a bit like that song .......my minds tellin me noo but my body my bodayyy tellin me yehhhh ...I don't wana hurt nobody oooo yeeeeeh

No far from it, I just don't like all the bum licking that goes with Nela it's like some sort of cult going on

No far from it, I just don't like all the bum licking that goes with Nela it's like some sort of cult going on
I was a bit like you gps ,but I've gone full circle and brought a 11" nela premium ( tried the mt for past couple of years and was never really happy/comfortable with it) so decided it's back to basics ( always use to use an 11" tyzack) and so far so good.but know where your coming from

No far from it, I just don't like all the bum licking that goes with Nela it's like some sort of **** going on
You meant "cult" didn't you mate?? Don't get me wrong I can't stand the trowels and all the hype that goes with them. I'd have a Ragni before that lot!!!

You meant "cult" didn't you mate?? Don't get me wrong I can't stand the trowels and all the hype that goes with them. I'd have a Ragni before that lot!!!

what you use... bet its a mt ?? and its stainless... probably a 16'' ??

what you use... bet its a mt ?? and its stainless... probably a 16'' ??
Its "Mystic Meg" yup i do use a Marshall town 16" xtra lite but not been offered an all expenses paid trip to the US for doing a video using the trowel like you have you jammy shite!!! :RpS_mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.