Some advice needed

Members online

Mos

Hello guys & Jess

Hope everyone's managed to dodge Corona thus far.

I'm back cos I need some advice. This is the final room in our house that, despite moving in 4 yrs, i just never got round to sorting. Basically been a dumping ground for the whole house.
However, found out there's an addition to family on the way in August so the missus has decided it's gonna be a nursery. Anyway managed to clear the crap out, actually ended up selling some of it on eBay cos the dump is closed.

So now it's time to get this decorated. Underneath the wallpaper was this textured paint finish, its peeling off without too much fuss, but it's taking some of the skim coat underneath off.

I need a a good -standard finish and it needs to be robust enough to cope with a bit of rough and tumble being the kids room. It'll be wall-papered once the walls have been sorted out and made nice n flat.

The lath ceiling I plan to have overboarded with some 37.5mm insulated board and have it skimmed all by a Spread.

Should I:

1. Hack it all off & have it d&d and skimmed

2. Just hack off the loose skim back to where it's sound and patch in with some easifill?

4. Pay the Spread to reskim the walls?

5. Glue 25mm Kingspan to the ceiling and then overboard with tapered edge pb, fill, sand smooth, paint.

3. Sell my 5 bags of multi on eBay?

If you suggest no. 2- what primer or stabilising product should I use to ensure its a lasting finish?

The bit behind the radiator is really shot. The base coat has blown too, so I'd need to hack all that off back to brick, but it'ss small enough (and inconspicuous enough) for me to personally, at my skill-level, make good again using bonding coat and multi.

Also, any theories on those almost symmetrical cracks in the plaster splaying outwards underneath the big window?

Thanks v much

Attachments

• IMG_20200508_180035.jpg
    IMG_20200508_180035.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 196
  • IMG_20200508_180047.jpg
    IMG_20200508_180047.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20200508_175627.jpg
    IMG_20200508_175627.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20200508_175959.jpg
    IMG_20200508_175959.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20200508_175648.jpg
    IMG_20200508_175648.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20200508_180011.jpg
    IMG_20200508_180011.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 186
  • 15889620005603143253013782456867.jpg
    15889620005603143253013782456867.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 166
  • 15889620401331410559756190027985.jpg
    15889620401331410559756190027985.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Hello guys & Jess

I'm back cos I need some advice. This is the final room in our house that, despite moving in 4 yrs, i just never got round to sorting. Basically been a dumping ground for the whole house.
However, found out there's an addition to family on the way in August so the missus has decided it's gonna be a nursery. Anyway managed to clear the crap out, actually ended up selling some of it on eBay cos the dump is closed.

So now it's time to get this decorated. Underneath the wallpaper was this textured paint finish, its peeling off without too much fuss, but it's taking some of the skim coat underneath off.

I need a a good -standard finish and it needs to be robust enough to cope with a bit of rough and tumble being the kids room. It'll be wall-papered once the walls have been sorted out and made nice n flat.

The lath ceiling I plan to have overboarded with some 37.5mm insulated board and have it skimmed all by a Spread.

Should I:

2. Just hack off the loose skim back to where it's sound and patch in with some easifill?

5. Glue 25mm Kingspan to the ceiling and then overboard with tapered edge pb, fill, sand smooth, paint.

If you suggest no. 2- what primer or stabilising product should I use to ensure its a lasting finish?

The bit behind the radiator is really shot. The base coat has blown too, so I'd need to hack all that off back to brick, but it'ss small enough (and inconspicuous enough) for me to personally, at my skill-level, make good again using bonding coat and multi.

Also, any theories on those almost symmetrical cracks in the plaster splaying outwards underneath the big window?

Thanks v much
What’s happened to the spreads you used before??

5 bags of multi you say:buitre::buitre::buitre:

Lol, actually bought for a full skim of the entire room a few days ago when Selco reopened! It's disgusting what they're going for on eBay at the minute, i was lucky enough that my mate was gonna order some for a job and added an extra 5 on for me.

Now that the room is finally empty and its going to be the little one's room I would take the opportunity to have the job done properly I would take it off back to brick and get the ceiling overboarded and skimmed aswell like you say then decide if you want it d&d or floated

Reactions: Mos
What’s happened to the spreads you used before??

He's damaged his shoulder painting his house and his mate was in isolation when I rang earlier, but he said gear was impossible to find anyway...that's when I wanted the entire room reskimmed. But if can get away with just some easifill and a trowel i can save myself the hazard of randoms coming and going to the house and also the mess of plastering. There's also a corner desk that's been scribed to walls really tight, really well actually, and that won't fit back easily if I have walls reskimmed.

The cost, i think he said about £300, not really an issue, just want it done right so I don't have to worry about it for next 15yrs at least.

He's damaged his shoulder painting his house and his mate was in isolation when I rang earlier, but he said gear was impossible to find anyway...that's when I wanted the entire room reskimmed. But if can get away with just some easifill and a trowel i can save myself the hazard of randoms coming and going to the house and also the mess of plastering. There's also a corner desk that's been scribed to walls really tight, really well actually, and that won't fit back easily if I have walls reskimmed.

The cost, i think he said about £300, not really an issue, just want it done right so I don't have to worry about it for next 15yrs at least.
:oops:
300 for all that??? :oops:

I'm thinking that straight overskim
Mos is up north

Hello guys & Jess

Should I:

Thanks v much
Just saw number 3. Go for number 3

The cracks under the window are down to water in the cavity condensing and trickling down through a gap in the window cill..

There's a great big whopping difference between where the inner leaf and outer leaf stop (outer leaf is more closed in), so the reveals splay out. Great big gaps everywhere. Really shitty work. Was there no expanding foam 15yrs ago when these were fitted?

Do you think I should rip off the architraves and reveals and make it a square finish, any pros/cons?

The cracks under the window are down to water in the cavity condensing and trickling down through a gap in the window cill..

There's a great big whopping difference between where the inner leaf and outer leaf stop (outer leaf is more closed in), so the reveals splay out. Great big gaps everywhere. Really shitty work. Was there no expanding foam 15yrs ago when these were fitted?

Do you think I should rip off the architraves and reveals and make it a square finish, any pros/cons?
The cracks are thermal stress not internal freezing , another reason to thermal board that wall

Going all out now, ripping the loose stuff back to brick, new windows to come, insulation boards to fill the gaps in the reveals.

The brick and mortar underneath is really bad, I'm surprised my house is still standing.

Too big a job for me and a bag of easifill, will sadly have to keep the multi-finish to use, lol, but anyway, the existing skim coat is not so good, it's falling away easily.

The base coat is ok except over the wooden lintels where its fallen off.

Should I hack all of it back to brick or leave the 70% basecoat which still adheres well? Is that gonna save the spread any time or does it just add complications?

Thanks as always.

Attachments

• IMG_20200514_165548.jpg
    IMG_20200514_165548.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20200514_165538.jpg
    IMG_20200514_165538.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20200514_165532.jpg
    IMG_20200514_165532.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20200514_165522.jpg
    IMG_20200514_165522.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20200514_165518.jpg
    IMG_20200514_165518.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 119
Going all out now, ripping the loose stuff back to brick, new windows to come, insulation boards to fill the gaps in the reveals.

The brick and mortar underneath is really bad, I'm surprised my house is still standing.

Too big a job for me and a bag of easifill, will sadly have to keep the multi-finish to use, lol, but anyway, the existing skim coat is not so good, it's falling away easily.

The base coat is ok except over the wooden lintels where its fallen off.

Should I hack all of it back to brick or leave the 70% basecoat which still adheres well? Is that gonna save the spread any time or does it just add complications?

Thanks as always.

'Damaged shoulder' you have been through a few spreads now Mo! We have all used this one a few times!

Regarding the room just a quick tip if you are insulating the ceiling...try to make sure it's well sealed and the the roof space is well ventilated...estimated on cost for the works by pro spread £1800-£2100 Good Luck!

• Useful