slowing down setting time

Status
Not open for further replies.

christ

Private Member
i am new to plastering and slow at applying it.  I have been reserching ways to slow down setting times to make easier for my self,  the information i have found says to add viniger,  can anyboby tell me if this is correct or can give me any infromation about this subject..  much appreciated? christ

alrite mate ;)to be honest a dont think theres much you can do to slow the setting time the only thing a can think of is to make your mixes wetter but not that much that its slopping all over and off your hawk the thing is with experience you,ll get quicker n that kind of thing wont even be an issue get use to doing small areas first till you have the confidence to tackle bigger walls ;)

another thing aswell always check the date on the side of the bag n give the walls atleast 2 coats of 5-1 pva cos it stops the water getting sucked straight into the walls ;)

Tend to agree but I don't thin wetter mixes slow it down that much.
My advice would be to get used to the normal setting time.
As you're applying keep an eye on what you've done. you can always flatten it a bit then carry on laying on.

maybe just hit one wall at a time? or maybe 4 coats of pva to remove any trace of suction from the wall, the bond-it stuff should help...
italian bloke i know lays on with a two handed trowel about 2 feet long, gets a wall on in less than a quarter of the time..., flattens it off same way too...then trowels up with a little 9" trowel, you can slow down a bit when youve got it on and flat...

i am new to plastering and slow at applying it. I have been reserching ways to slow down setting times to make easier for my self, the information i have found says to add viniger, can anyboby tell me if this is correct or can give me any infromation about this subject.. much appreciated? christ

some use lime putty

I've heard about using lime putty too but never tried it. Apparently it affects the impact strength of the plaster (so i'm told!) Anybody tried this? Is it any use?

Mix a match box of bi carbonate soda in your multi to slow down setting time.. thats what i got told neva tryed it so dont know how well it works

bigsegs said:
maybe just hit one wall at a time? or maybe 4 coats of pva to remove any trace of suction from the wall, the bond-it stuff should help...
italian bloke i know lays on with a two handed trowel about 2 feet long, gets a wall on in less than a quarter of the time..., flattens it off same way too...then trowels up with a little 9" trowel, you can slow down a bit when youve got it on and flat...

where do u get 2 handed trowels from??

SkyZOO said:
i am new to plastering and slow at applying it. I have been reserching ways to slow down setting times to make easier for my self, the information i have found says to add viniger, can anyboby tell me if this is correct or can give me any infromation about this subject.. much appreciated? christ

i must have be on drugs or something..... ha ha

All you can do it make it wetter as suggested earlier,there are probs doing it this way as you seem to put the gear on thiner also you drop a lot more.
Speed will come with practise.Now the winter is coming you get a bit more time with the mix if theres no heating on in the house.

Yea ur right Mur,that would make a lot of difference,no more hanging about and pacing up and down,doing ur nut ;D

Yeah it would be nice.......but image how many people would try doing the job themselves if they had more working time???

bi carbonate soda defo works. turns 2 hour sets into bout 3 n half hours though. very time consuming. my kid bro used to do it when he first started

if you want to slow a set down on a domestic i just turn off the rads in the room im working.Or if your a bit slow on the trowel and your chasing your sets dont put as much on and do a exta set in your day.With the extra set keep it small and add some dirty water with it to send it off depending how late its getting.I would,nt get in a habit of adding something to slow it down. in time you will get your pace up.Also dont sit around to long waitng for it to pick up try to flattening when its still wet and then have your cuppa

As said above dont slow the set else thats all you will get use to try doing more smaller sets.

I have heard of adding Vinigar before also plastisizer to the mix.

Does it have to be diet lemonade church?

Well mate only found out this cause my lazy labourer mixed up a stiff bucket couldn't be bothered to get some clean water so poor some of his drink in the bucket and re mixed it , took about 3hrs to finish , never told me what he had done till we were driving home , maybe any fizzy drink will do ???

I've heard a handfull of board adhesive works to slow the set down, never tried it so I dont know.

There really should be no need to slow the set down,just take on what you can handle.
If you really need to slow things down ie large staircase wall in 4 bed detach on ur own thats gotta be done in one hit . Then just mix up a bit pissy or mix the hell out of it with the mixer...the more you mix it up the longer it will last (board finnish / multi )

skimmin2day said:
There really should be no need to slow the set down,just take on what you can handle.
If you really need to slow things down ie large staircase wall in 4 bed detach on ur own thats gotta be done in one hit . Then just mix up a bit (french word)y or mix the hell out of it with the mixer...the more you mix it up the longer it will last (board finnish / multi )

have to disagree the more you mix it up the quicker it sets its called over mixing.

flynnyman said:
skimmin2day said:
If you really need to slow things down ie large staircase wall in 4 bed detach on ur own thats gotta be done in one hit . Then just mix up a bit (french word)y or mix the hell out of it with the mixer...the more you mix it up the longer it will last (board finnish / multi )

have to disagree the more you mix it up the quicker it sets its called over mixing.

I have to agree, I even mix it a bit longer if it's only a small hit to send it of quicker.

skimmin2day said:
Lack of inexperience skimming, Trust me, it goes quicker mate !!.

Status
Not open for further replies.