Skimming over torn plasterboard paper

JonnyBoy31

Not a plaster here but looking for a bit of advice here, don’t want to get a bloke round and completely waste his time if it isn’t in the right state for him and having sleepless nights worrying if these walls are f**k*d. Got an old place and currently in the middle of doing it up. 2 of the rooms have had the wood chip wallpaper applied directly to the plasterboard and it’s impossible to remove without taking the top layer of paper off (Don’t worry, haven’t used a steamer to do this). This has left the brown paper (seems more like cardboard) layer which has been torn and skuffed in the process, but none of the grey plasterboard centre has been exposed.

I’m just wondering if okay to skim over like this? Is there anything else I need to do? Will it still leave a good finish?

I’ve attached some pictures to give you an idea of the state of the walls and the paper tears. Can’t really have the boards replaced as the rooms are massive and it would be the ceilings and all, just don’t have the budget for it. Cheers for any help in advance guys

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    738.5 KB · Views: 1,465
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    815 KB · Views: 1,367
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4,942
Bet that took some scraping .would it not of been easier to reboard it ???

Bet that took some scraping .would it not of been easier to reboard it ???

You have no idea mate that picture is just a small section, lets just say I haven't needed to go to the gym for 2018 so far. If it was just 1 or 2 walls I would of had it reboarded, but it was two 4x3m rooms including the ceiling, wanted to save some costs where I could so didn't mind removing it myself as long as it could be skimmed afterwards.

Done quite a few like that, prep the board,,, then I would skim it with bonding then finish plaster,,, bonding should obliterate that board paper that's lifted.

Not a plaster here but looking for a bit of advice here, don’t want to get a bloke round and completely waste his time if it isn’t in the right state for him and having sleepless nights worrying if these walls are f**k*d. Got an old place and currently in the middle of doing it up. 2 of the rooms have had the wood chip wallpaper applied directly to the plasterboard and it’s impossible to remove without taking the top layer of paper off (Don’t worry, haven’t used a steamer to do this). This has left the brown paper (seems more like cardboard) layer which has been torn and skuffed in the process, but none of the grey plasterboard centre has been exposed.

I’m just wondering if okay to skim over like this? Is there anything else I need to do? Will it still leave a good finish?

I’ve attached some pictures to give you an idea of the state of the walls and the paper tears. Can’t really have the boards replaced as the rooms are massive and it would be the ceilings and all, just don’t have the budget for it. Cheers for any help in advance guys
Hi Jonny, I’ve done plenty of jobs like this over the years mate. My advice to you is just rub all the torn plasterboard areas with sandpaper to get it flat, then pva it all and skim. Jobs all in the prep mate! (y):coffe:

Bit like @Cockney1 says but I'm more of a Bond-IT guy.
If you can't steam/soak it off, you won't be able to skim it off so just go over it.

Sounds like you're getting someone else to skim it? If so, might be best get them round and explain that you'll do the grunt work but check with them just what they want.

Boards aren’t that expensive

It was more the costs of labor to put up 2 new ceilings, and 6(?) walls, and then then the skim job afterwards.

Cheers for all the replies though lads, sounds like the jobs still good and a plastered room I might still have! Just got to get the last bit of the paper off, I'll give it all a quick sand down and then get the professional in to see if its all good for him to skim. I'll leave the PVA/bonding bit until hes been and see if he wants to do that himself or get me to do it.