skimming or smoothing out external wall

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millardus

Hi all

A newbie here, so I'm after advice. I bought a 1930's terraced house 5 months ago, and I want to spruce up the front of it. I've attached a photo of the external wall, I *think* the bobbly surface is called stucko, is that right?

If so, what options do I have to get this plastered or skimmed, what I want is for it to be smooth so I can paint it and have a better appearance.

Also, for a job like that considering it is just 1 wall effectively, how many hundreds of pounds could we be talking about?

Cheers for any advice folks
Scott

Attachments

• External wall.jpg
    External wall.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 368
Cool, cheers flynnyman. So, skimming is the term then, cool. Am I right, is the stuff on there at moment called *stucko*?

You reckon there is any need for scaffolding? I hope not, I mean it's only a first floor thing, but with HSE and stuff I have no clue what's expected nowadays!

I was takin the poss about skimming that's for internals, it looks like tyrolean you have two options either hack off and redo or depending on the paint that's on it you may be able to go over the top, it could be done off a tower by the looks of things. Nobody will give you a price over the forum you will first just need to mention where you are and you will receive PM messages. I would advise if you was to go with one of the members have a look at his or hers previous posts to get an idea if they know what they are talking about.

If I knew how long that piece of work should take, I'd set a budget for it based on a fair hourly rate for a plasterer and materials. I know nothing about the level of work required, but considering it's at most 3m *3m for the surface area, it looks like something that you could do in half a day if you knew what you were doing. I don't know if the tyrolean needs to come off though, and if it does, how long does that take. Also, it's at a first floor height.

Anyway, I'd be happy with £200-250 if that'd be a good job done and half a day to a days work for 1 bloke. I could then paint straight after if it was dry enough.

If I knew how long that piece of work should take, I'd set a budget for it based on a fair hourly rate for a plasterer and materials. I know nothing about the level of work required, but considering it's at most 3m *3m for the surface area, it looks like something that you could do in half a day if you knew what you were doing. I don't know if the tyrolean needs to come off though, and if it does, how long does that take. Also, it's at a first floor height.

Anyway, I'd be happy with £200-250 if that'd be a good job done and half a day to a days work for 1 bloke. I could then paint straight after if it was dry enough.
250 seems dear to me, I reckon you could get that done for 150 all in. Towers are cheap nowadays . . .

Well if the price was fair, then my 3 neighbours may well also fancy getting their fronts done at the same time, it's be exactly the same job, the tyrolene is just better on some fronts than other.

So, if I can get a decent quotes for 1 job, and then a slightly discounted one for 4 jobs, I can put it to my neighbours. But anyway, I deffo want my front *smoothed* over if possible.

If your working out hourly rates that are fair then going for a discount for 4 of them this makes it unfair? I also think you guestimate is rather low ....

Anyway, I'd be happy with £200-250 if that'd be a good job done and half a day to a days work for 1 bloke. I could then paint straight after if it was dry enough.[/QUOTE

Hi, as we are now at the end of this football season can you please ask your child to select their player of the year. They should base their choice on who has impressed them the most over this season. Can they please select a 1 st, 2 nd & 3rd choice. It will be 3 points for 1 st choice, 2 points for 2 nd choice, 1 point for third choice. Once all votes are in the player with most points Is the players player of the year! Please reply ASAP to avoid the players discussing their choices with each other.
Cheers, Stuart

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.