Skimming not good!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian shaw

Hello guys, does anybody no what's up with our skimming? We mix it as normal in a rhino tub with a reffina mixing drill. Normal water out of tap with multi finish. About 6 month ago it started and is still going on. The skimming is like jelly on the board when it comes out of the tub. It looks like the water is sitting on top of it and it goes off pretty quickly. It's very strange. The skim doesn't even stick to the hand board properly. Been plastering over 15 years now and can't hit the nail on the head with this one. Any ideas? The odd mix is bearable but mostly crap! Any info would be great.

Hello guys, does anybody no what's up with our skimming? We mix it as normal in a rhino tub with a reffina mixing drill. Normal water out of tap with multi finish. About 6 month ago it started and is still going on. The skimming is like jelly on the board when it comes out of the tub. It looks like the water is sitting on top of it and it goes off pretty quickly. It's very strange. The skim doesn't even stick to the hand board properly. Been plastering over 15 years now and can't hit the nail on the head with this one. Any ideas? The odd mix is bearable but mostly crap! Any info would be great.

I've had stuff similar to that in Eire, mine wouldn't go off however.
Very similar though in the fact that it looked like the water was almost about to run out of it on the board (hawk!?) and was almost 'putty-like', the slightest tilt of the board and it would be off.
Summing it up it was god awful muck

are you adding water later to the mix . re if the mix was to stiff this sometimes has this effect on the plaster

Very similar though in the fact that it looked like the water was almost about to run out of it on the board (hawk!?) and was almost 'putty-like', the slightest tilt of the board and it would be off.
Did you send it back

Try mixing different ie slower mix up the plaster thinner use a taller tub ! Just a stab in the dark though pal

Had this happen a few months back and I realised it was because I was using a bucket I'd had for well over 6 months

Got a new bucket then it stopped

What condition is your bucket in pal?

I had this last week! Put it down to a bad batch, went off so quick!!!
Picked up some new bags for a different job and was fine again!

These posts always make me laugh if in doubt blame bg, never had any problems that you guys speak of.

These posts always make me laugh if in doubt blame bg, never had any problems that you guys speak of.

Well aren't you blessed.

I suppose on contact with gypsum with batch numbers etc, they send a rep out offering free 'gifts' as an appeasement with an apology just for the sake of it.

A
this happens to us to mate! Horrible

Tried this mate
Try mixing different ie slower mix up the plaster thinner use a taller tub ! Just a stab in the dark though pal
tried this mate. Still does it. Skimmed a semi out with horrid stuff but 1 day it was mint, back to normal then boom back shite again to finish Job off, strange!

Had this happen a few months back and I realised it was because I was using a bucket I'd had for well over 6 months

Got a new bucket then it stopped

What condition is your bucket in pal?
New tubs every week mate, lads puncher them all the time. Not that.

The skimming sometimes hits the plaster board and after 5 seconds peels if ya go over it. Unreal! We have tried, different drills, whisks and tubs. Slower mixing on slow speed, tried just high speed and even filled buckets of water couple of days before and kept them warm thinking it was Icy water out the tap. My poor lads kept getting the blame at 1 point until I had a go.lol. 1 job did it then the next didn't until half way through it. Crazy. At 1 point I wanted to pack it in as I'm on price work and thought if this don't change I'm not fighting for the rest of my life. Help me!!!

Is it all on boards? How long have the boards been up for? I find if boards have been up for a long time the plaster reacts different, sometimes it sucks right in and other times it hangs for ages

I had a problem with a batch of bags back in April, both coats started tearing when still very wet, had to just leave it and re-skim the next day. The plaster was almost going furry, I suspected it was full of that crap Uni-Finish, rung British Gypsum and they just blamed the PVA, accused me of having the windows open and were really unhelpful, even when I get a good bag now it still seems to tear more than it used to on the second trowel.

There too busy making and marketing Magnetic plaster and not giving a hoot about the bread and butter stuff, if they had a real competitor in the market things would change.

Same here bud. Both multi and board finish is crap. Sumtimes you get few good bags. Am not enjoying skimming at the moment :( but looks fine when painted that's all that matters

I used that uni fin afew days last week and no tearing, back on multi today and the odd tear hear and there but nothing that I couldn't sort [emoji16]

Status
Not open for further replies.