Skimming done recently

Members online

What's the point of subbing out I don't get it
If you can't do the work what's the point of getting it trying to get someone "good" in ..no "good" plasterer is going to work for someone else..sorry but I think it's crazy.
Plasterers are lone wolfs or 2 ,never seen a pack of 4 or more that are loyal.
What are you on about you prat?
It's called running a business!!
A lone wolf isn't a business!!
There's 8 of us on the go at the minute in 3 gangs and it's like that most of the year.
A lad came on and f**k*d up a couple rooms that's all
It's on a small site so no hardship.i also know the builder so his decorator can sort it
How is that crazy?
What is crazy is buying a machine to skim Granny Smiths artex ceiling

Last edited:
If you want to expand and earn decent money its wat uve got to do Vince..im just not trying at min had 4 different gangs since aj plastering and not 1 of them have churned out nice work..

If you can't do the work what's the point of getting it trying to get someone "good" in ..no "good" plasterer is going to work for someone else..sorry but I think it's crazy.
I do subbying and my own jobs aswell. It's a good middle ground and less headaches. I've made good money subbying on price, but I must admit I'm trying to phase out the subbying and do more my own stuff. Depends what type of work you prefer aswell, a one man band can contain domestic work on his own but you can't deal with a decent size site on your own.

Didn't mean to upset anyone,just seems more stress to me than it's worth a good plasterer is in my opinion only going to work for some one else if they have no work maybe that's why bobby and kitchy keep getting these rubbish one's that's all I meant lad's.

Didn't mean to upset anyone,just seems more stress to me than it's worth a good plasterer is in my opinion only going to work for some one else if they have no work maybe that's why bobby and kitchy keep getting these rubbish one's that's all I meant lad's.

You haven't upset me!!
It's a forum

You haven't upset me!!
It's a forum
If I didn't have my 2 dogs I would be more than happy to come down Devon and work for you bobby and think you do well to keep things ticking along,it can't be easy,my mate does the same as you and ends up with similar scenarios as you and kitchy , all the best with finding someone.

When you're juggling day to day stuff with a business, its easy to take you're eye off the ball - as long as crap work is picked up sooner rather than later, then it demonstrates that the main man has a bit of pride in his output - I know some firms that would still crack on and try to get away it!

Domestically using subbies is a non-starter. I'm not getting some plank in to do work in my name who might do a s**t job and tarnish years of good reputation beacause I want to earn a few quid off the back of it. No thanks, there's 3 of us if we can't do it and punter wont wait for us they can get someone else. Decent lads I know would want the lions share of the price for doing my work anyway so getting good lads isn't economical.

Site work, aye I can see scope for it there.

:fuckyou:
I work for someone else and my finish is mint
20150123_131412.jpg

Not always so, I have subbies that for me that are good spreads. They don't like working for them selves as there not keen on all the hassle that goes with it,they turn up on my sites go home on a Friday paid straight away off me, that's it done, no chasing money up etc, that is how they like it.

Sorry mate , obviously we now found the name of the culprit who did the op job..:rolleyes:
TPF members are encourage to post pictures to encourage debate and show case the skills of this dying art form :chica: But unfortunately think you may be barred in the near future :rebotando:

It'll dry straight.
The secret is to only mix up a little bit at a time.
Screenshot_2016-07-20-17-38-37-1.png

What are you on about you prat?
It's called running a business!!
A lone wolf isn't a business!!
There's 8 of us on the go at the minute in 3 gangs and it's like that most of the year.
A lad came on and f**k*d up a couple rooms that's all
It's on a small site so no hardship.i also know the builder so his decorator can sort it
How is that crazy?
What is crazy is buying a machine to skim Granny Smiths artex ceiling

I'm fairly similar, but I accept its not for everyone, equally a pal of mine works on his Todd domestically, doesn't make fortunes but makes a good living and likes it that way. I started on my Todd and built from there, as I get older I've expanded and make my living employing others and running a business. It's always best to make money using your head rather than your hands.

I'm fairly similar, but I accept its not for everyone, equally a pal of mine works on his Todd domestically, doesn't make fortunes but makes a good living and likes it that way. I started on my Todd and built from there, as I get older I've expanded and make my living employing others and running a business. It's always best to make money using your head rather than your hands.
I could be wrong ,but i do remember a post that you said you pay your guys in the winter months ? respect to you and thats why you have a team today ,works both ways

I could be wrong ,but i do remember a post that you said you pay your guys in the winter months ? respect to you and thats why you have a team today ,works both ways
I pay my 2 on the books during winter yes, and my subbies do internals or bits outside for us.
We don't really get winters any more , all seasons seem to merge into one, were full out until Christmas,it's Just Jan and Feb that are lean.

Decorator sort it. If it were me, Id be pva grit then either tight coat of bonding then skim or just skim straight onto grit. At a guess, alot of f**k**g about there for a decorator
Why in earth would you put bonding over a skimmed room?
It's rough in some of the corners so a bag of easy fill and a few hours will sort it!!

Must admit I'm with bobski on this 1..some people go over top sometimes with bad skimming pics saying oh there's no way id take money id re skim the lot blah de blah..few sheets of sandpaper with a pad and a hand scraper and a bag of easi fill sorts it..and a wage deduction..aslong as it gets sorted its no biggy..skimming is the easiest thing to sort that's why most people just stick to skimming as its the easiest of easiest jobs

That's y dont like other people boarding for us etc..a dotted kitchen that's miles out or a load of f**k*d up skirting lines or reveal margains not the same or heads or reveals dotted on the piss..now there's a ball ache in sorting s**t like that

That's y dont like other people boarding for us etc..a dotted kitchen that's miles out or a load of f**k*d up skirting lines or reveal margains not the same or heads or reveals dotted on the piss..now there's a ball ache in sorting s**t like that

Totally agree there, and then the kitchen fitters try blaming the spread because the units and work tops don't fit......stupid feckers

I must start taking pictures of the local housing trust patching, that's mint compared to some I've seen@theplasterman, been to one today where they have just bonded a hole in the ceiling, no board , not even a bag thrown in it, how the hell they got it to stay up is beyond me.

I must start taking pictures of the local housing trust patching, that's mint compared to some I've seen@theplasterman, been to one today where they have just bonded a hole in the ceiling, no board , not even a bag thrown in it, how the hell they got it to stay up is beyond me.
The old newspaper trick or a ripped bag thrown into the hole..done it plenty of times

The old newspaper trick or a ripped bag thrown into the hole..done it plenty of times
Expanding foam seems to be popular

I got told off for taking photos of the plastering work when I worked for housing people... laughable at best