Skim over existing plaster, what to do on existing angle beads?

adelast

Hi everyone!
On renovating my guest room I am planning to skim the walls.
While the paint seems to be okay (meaning is not falling down) the plaster beneath is really below standards, there are scratches and bits, so I'd like to skim over it.
I have some blue grit at home, and I plan to put it on current walls to give a better key and start the job but, as this is the first time I skim a wall, I am wondering: what to do on the existing angle beads?
:dunno:

I plastered recently on plasterboards and on older walls with no plaster in, so in that case I just put an angle bead and made my corner, but what about in this case where an angle beads already exist?

Do I have to put one not op of it or just skim over?
:scratch:

Thanks in advance

Hi everyone!
While the paint seems to be okay (meaning is not falling down) the plaster beneath is really below standards, there are scratches and bits, so I'd like to skim over it.
I have some blue grit at home, and I plan to put it on current walls to give a better key and start the job but, as this is the first time I skim a wall, I am wondering: what to do on the existing angle beads?

I plastered recently on plasterboards and on older walls with no plaster in, so in that case I just put an angle bead and made my corner, but what about in this case where an angle beads already exist?

Thanks in advance

Depending on how bad the walls are you could just coat the walls with easifil and then get a sanding block and sand them....

Will be a bit more controlled and you wont have to worry about beads

Last edited:
Depending on haw bad the walls are you could just coat teh walls with easifil and then get a sanding block and sand them....

Hey Danny, I'll give a look at that product as I never worked with it, thanks for the suggestion! As I need to fix some small cracks (I'll v shape them and put some filler and tape on top of them), do you think that this product will cover those too? Or it will be too thin?

Stick new beads on over the top, use abit of multi mixed up to bed them on, make sure you put a coat of pva on before you put beads up
Many thanks for your suggestion Nash, yes, if I'll proceed this way I'll be sure to use two coat of PVA 3:1 with the second coat being tacky (y)

Hey Danny, I'll give a look at that product as I never worked with it, thanks for the suggestion! As I need to fix some small cracks (I'll v shape them and put some filler and tape on top of them), do you think that this product will cover those too? Or it will be too thin?

Many thanks for your suggestion Nash, yes, if I'll proceed this way I'll be sure to use two coat of PVA 3:1 with the second coat being tacky (y)
Just be sure to use a level to make sure they are square. Good luck

Depending on how bad the walls are you could just coat the walls with easifil and then get a sanding block and sand them....

Sack easy fill and get the knauf stuff

Easifil will be fine but any fine fill will be good :D

When teh Multi finish shortage was happening i had a few walls to sort and easifil and I even used spray paint and misted over the easyfil so I knew I had sanded it back enough... (like you would do with car body work :D

lights in all directions and take your time :D

Or do what a few do on here....

put your skim on 4mm thick and then sand back down to the 2mm....

Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance
Hi Smoothie

Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance
What option did you go with in the end mate? I'm in the same situation now.