Skim over artex

Members online

Hi I'm new to this I need to skim over artex ceiling is it best to use thistle bonding then 2 coats of multi I saw on YouTube about using a super mix what is this

Overboard it if the customer wants it cheap as skimming then its on their back talk them into overboard

Listen it's easy artex whatever if ya got a day in the job and ya in no rush! Tight coat of skim let it go flatten go for a breakfast come back tight pva 1 coats of finish it's no longer than 4 hrs job done! This job is as easy as you need it to be, if ya a decent spread there's a way round everything

Listen it's easy artex whatever if ya got a day in the job and ya in no rush! Tight coat of skim let it go flatten go for a breakfast come back tight pva 1 coats of finish it's no longer than 4 hrs job done! This job is as easy as you need it to be, if ya a decent spread there's a way round everything
Done it loads but there is just one time it will fail.
Nothing like doing a job again for nowt.

Problem with artex ya never know what gone on behind it! Always better to board I got caught out a while ago gear went on lovely then it started peeling n sagging everywhere!! They say it covers a multitude of sins! ....very true lol

I've had a few were they got coving up n boarding not a options at the time n that changes when it goes to s**t lol! But experience tells me to warn them the worst case scenario these days

Sorry guys can't board it coving in situ
Cut a square out just so you can see what's behind! Thing is when you pva and it soaks through could be anything going on underneath! The fact is back in the day when they were covering stuff up with artex they put it on then finish with whatever pattern and there's no impact or pressure involved unlike when skimming

In that case make sure you warn the customer about the potential risks especially if there’s traffic above.
I’d probably take off high lumps with a scraper, use a blue grit or make sure you do your first pass of skim when pva is tacky. But don’t rush to put second coat on leave it a bit. May even need a tight 3rd coat. But careful don’t put too much weight on it!!!

In that case make sure you warn the customer about the potential risks especially if there’s traffic above.
I’d probably take off high lumps with a scraper, use a blue grit or make sure you do your first pass of skim when pva is tacky. But don’t rush to put second coat on leave it a bit. May even need a tight 3rd coat. But careful don’t put too much weight on it!!!
Jesus Christ they haven’t got cars, buses and lorry driving over the top of their ceilings

I hope artex comes back we got a lot to thank them boys for !!! In fact I salute artexers from back in the day if it wasn't for u lot I wouldn't of earnt half the dollar! Bring it back bring that worst patterns you can create....I'm ready for ya!!!

I have skimmed over more artex ceilings than I care to think about... I very rarely had to bond them out and if I did I would just overboard...

Whenever I quoted for overskim I would always warn the customer that if it failed then it was their problem as sometimes it cannot be avoided :D Only had a few fail on me and every time the customer has picked up the bill :D

I hope artex comes back we got a lot to thank them boys for !!! In fact I salute artexers from back in the day if it wasn't for u lot I wouldn't of earnt half the dollar! Bring it back bring that worst patterns you can create....I'm ready for ya!!!

All I did for years was skim artex ceilings :D That was it...lol

If you thinking of bonding from what you’ve seen on YouTube I’d say pass on the job full stop

Not being funny but most plasterers pissed off with YouTube T***s
(P.s I don’t mean you I mean the ones making the videos)

Last edited:
Red-Flage-Warning.gif

Fair enough apologies

Just board over if it’s that thick you feel you can’t get over it with skim,

Anyone with balls would say the coving has to come down if they thought it needed or walk

There was also a day when ceilings were pulled down as standard....I hope toolstation start doing metre screws soon!

Fair enough apologies

Just board over if it’s that thick you feel you can’t get over it with skim,

Anyone with balls would say the coving has to come down if they thought it needed or walk
I know lots out there that don't seem to think coving is in our game:sorprendido3: a bit like floor screeding.... Wet trade!!! Not dib n dob! Or is it dot n dab:sorprendido3:

Hi I'm new to this I need to skim over artex ceiling is it best to use thistle bonding then 2 coats of multi I saw on YouTube about using a super mix what is this
Nooooo Never Put Bonding on a Ceiling to much weight with 3 coats. if anything chuck a few handfulls of bonding in your first coat to get over artex just make sure you let it go almost dry before you 2nd coat