Site work.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeT

Morning all,how many of you prefer site work to domestic? I've done a few domestic jobs alongside others and must say it seems so much hassle keeping the place clean. I'm beginning to think that site work is the direction I may go.

I prefer domestic,that way I know all the prep work(drywall,bonding, pva etc)is completed to a high standard that way there is no compromise on the quality of my plastering quality over quantity:RpS_thumbup:

Morning all,how many of you prefer site work to domestic? I've done a few domestic jobs alongside others and must say it seems so much hassle keeping the place clean. I'm beginning to think that site work is the direction I may go.
Domestic the way forword it's only hassle to clean up if u don't take that extra time on prep! Either way if your a tradesman you should leave a tidy job site or domestic as it leaves a good image of yourself in either situation especially on domestic as that's what gets you the recommendations that lead to further work :RpS_thumbsup:

I'm just learning the trade myself in my second year of college so wouldn't call myself a tradesmen just yet and although my work is getting better I'm still not the cleanist but I'm working on it. Sometimes look like I have rolled in the stuff lol .

Everyone's gotta start somewhere bud so persevere it all comes with experience and a little bit of common sense I personally never went to college but worked with my old man for 10 yr who was old school so learned a hell of a lot. There's probably a lot of guys on here like me speed and knowledge comes with time unfortunately there's no short cuts in our game :RpS_thumbup:

site work is usually a bit rougher than domestic, harder physically... but easier skill wise.. ( waits for the onslaught ) ..lmao

^^^ As above George. domestic work is all about being clean and tidy.If you cover a few dust sheets in blobs of multi well hey. Most will come off once dry in a skip on a job.I think you will be better off on domestic work George until you really feel confidant in your ability to do site work. Not a dig mate just think it will be better for you as start:RpS_thumbup:

I would rather scratch a tramps balls and lick my fingers clean then spend my days reskimming artex ceilings.
pricing shitty little kitchen and bathroom patch up jobs, and doing extensions for cowboy builder's who know feck all about quality but everything about trying to save a quid.
Personally ill take the site price work anyday over that hell.

If you wanna have a short life as a plasterer that's what site work will do to ya.

I know domestic spreads in there thirties that are fooked, I also now piece work spreads at the wrong end of their sixties still going strong.
Longevity in plasterers probably has more to do with genetics and lifestyle general fitness levels then the type or even quantity of work you do everyday.

I would rather scratch a tramps balls and lick my fingers clean then spend my days reskimming artex ceilings.
pricing shitty little kitchen and bathroom patch up jobs, and doing extensions for cowboy builder's who know feck all about quality but everything about trying to save a quid.
Personally ill take the site price work anyday over that hell.

I give a tramp a bottle of gin once......

Never scratched his balls tho

over the years i have done both site work and domestic work what is now my sole employment.
the problem with site work is not the work but the idiots that they employ to run the sites. building work is a practical job and they put the most unpractical person in charge. to earn a good wage on a site you need to be fit and at the top of your trade.
on domestic work you need to know how to charge, it must be spotless, you need to know how to get over problems,you need a large customer base, you have to give up your time and be able to communicate with people. you need to be able to wear a lot of hats, the job i done to day with my son, remove cove, overboard the ceiling, float a couple of patches, skim ceiling, pva and skim walls with picture rail and chair rail, fit gyproc cove. we stopped for 10 mins. completed at 3.30.
i choose domestic work because i get paid 3 or 4 times a week. no stoppages, no aggro, you are in charge of the works, not sharing a half inch tap with 20 other people. we can pick and choose our jobs.

Last edited:
I agree with every word of @scottie5 's
I'm 49 now but still prefer to turn out 60-70m2 of high quality skimming on a new build rather that do half or less area on domestics.
My old man was still labouring on himself well into his sixties and I'm not talking about just skimming but F&S with S&C, hodding upstairs even on three storey houses.
On @cassie 's point. I've seen at least as many rough domestic spreads as site ones.

Last edited:
I know domestic spreads in there thirties that are fooked, I also now piece work spreads at the wrong end of their sixties still going strong.
Longevity in plasterers probably has more to do with genetics and lifestyle general fitness levels then the type or even quantity of work you do everyday.
Thanks mate :RpS_biggrin:

Cheers guys your input has been most helpful, just going to take it day by day and see what happens. I'm going to try scratch a few tramps balls and see how it makes me feel. Perfect timing they have been drinking all day so will be sparko on the bench. Might even slip them a finger or two.

I'm 50 in December and can still knock out 80-100m2 a day mixing for myself, give me site work anyday

Site work/new build all day long.i hate dealing with clueless customers and them ringing me after 7 in the evening to ask stupid questions.
I charge a fair/decent rate so don't have to work like a slave to earn a crust

I think it's the other way around.i take on guys that do domestic and they are useless and to slow

site work has no need for bothering about floor coverings,architraves etc, so yes its faster, usually skimming new boards and large areas, but generally not the standard of domestic in my view.. done both mate over the years, and domestics ..you have to be neater..

More chancers in domestic imo. Any sitework I've ever done the standard has always been checked. Where as domestic you have cowboys leaving all sorts of shite. Proper site spreads are a different breed. Domestic lads say oh you cant do xxm2 a day its impossible bla bla bla. Get a decent site spread and theyll do it.

I agree, but if Im doing a new extension..ie. new boards/no carpets etc, its great.. you dont get that on domestics, and ive seen some shite on sites ? to be honest it would bore me. same old everyday..

How do you all clean your dust sheets up on the domestic work? Give it a good beating and shaking then to the washing machine?

Use tarps. Waterproof and they actually stop dust going through rather than just becoming clogged with the stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.