Single skin garage wall damp

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

28kennedy

I plasterboarded and skimmed the internal walls of my garage about three years back and one of them is suffering with damp and causing unsightly marks and basically make the plaster and boards soggy. I'm going to pull it all down again but how do I remedy it?It's just a room a use as I gym but I like it looking clean and tidy rather than exposed or painted brick. It is a single skin wall.

you need to look to see where the damp is coming from first...

Have a look round the external walls and see if any soil is backed up against the walls look for leaky gutters etc :)

Others may have better suggestions :)

Danny

PS welcome to the forum

Welcome Kennedy, as Danny says find the source of the moisture before treating the walls.

I would clean it all off and tank it with vandex then plaster with sand and cement waterproofer, nice neat float finish

to convert a single skin garage to regs you must stud the wall out to create a cavity, breathable membrane on the back of the stud, kingspan in the stud, visqueen the front before you plasterboard and skim.

Single leaf water will pass through bricks if they get alot of rain on them anyway as they arent waterproof so maya lad be no visable problem to find,check external pointing for cracks,joints not filled correctly first.
Flat roof? Check roof for splits in felt,fascias ,gutters for damage,possible rubbers on unions etc.
A lad reckons he sorted his damp by mixing sbr and cement neat mixed together as a paint two coats opposite directions,says cured his damp,cheap and easy,dot and dab foil,insulated boards

It's single skin it's always gonna get cold and what your getting is cold spots where the dabs are, Batton with roof battens at 600 centres, Kingspan straight over the top which will give you 25 mm air gap between then board straight over the top.

Welcome Kennedy, as Danny says find the source of the moisture before treating the walls.
I've looked on the outside and there's no obvious holes or anything that suggests excess water will come through . I think it's a case of it being single skin and it being inevitable that moisture will come through. I just wanted a way to deal with it as much as possible. I don't expect a perfect solution (it's only a garage after all) but I wanted the best possible solution considering the circumstances.

It's single skin it's always gonna get cold and what your getting is cold spots where the dabs are, Batton with roof battens at 600 centres, Kingspan straight over the top which will give you 25 mm air gap between then board straight over the top.
Would you put a membrane between the batons and the wall?

You could use a tanking slurry then dab insi boards on top then skim it...................as another option

I did a Chapel of Rest that was suffering from the same problem. Bedded some damp down on silicone to keep it from moving about. And built a stud work off that independent of the existing wall. Then 50mm kingspanned in between it all and put 27 mm thermal laminate board over the top with some air vents in and skimmed it up. Came out lovely, and cured the problem.

Well if you want to save money, metal stud, board and skim.

You could tank it but if its not really for habitable use then why bother.

And if you have electrics in there, make sure that you don't have metal back-boxes or they will be attracting condensation, then rust, then danger - shocking really :RpS_scared:

The single skin will soak up water then pass through, If I was going to convert a single skin garage I would stud it out and insulate.

Status
Not open for further replies.