silver sand

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo71

Im sure I saw a post somewhere on here that mentioned using silver sand for external rendering. Is that right? Just wandering how it differs from soft sand regardz cracking. I've not done too much rendering but I only use plastering sand , am I missing a trick?

Im sure I saw a post somewhere on here that mentioned using silver sand for external rendering. Is that right? Just wandering how it differs from soft sand regardz cracking. I've not done too much rendering but I only use plastering sand , am I missing a trick?

@Olican would answer as he's fan of silver sand - I use them to run / cast in moulds but have'nt tried that with render.

That is true ; I do love the silver sand. Its all I use these days as the plastering sand down our way is too inconsistent. Silver sand and Lime is lovely to rule, rub and sponge. brings a beautiful finish every time :RpS_thumbsup:

same as the old boy , used it with white in shower rooms and on fire place surrounds any thing else is a waste

its a very good decortive finish and no not expensive , used with white under the right down lighting looks nice in a shine bright like a diamond type way

So, just to clarify, it's just a finer sand, is it washed? Does it shrink and crack? Obviously not or you wouldn't use it. Answered my own question!

It's used with lime putty for a finish coat...

I'm not sure...but if as superspread says if it is pit sand then it may have a high clay content, this would rule and rub up lovely in a cement render but come back the next day and there will be cracks all through it!

i think that the wires are getting crossed here . we have silver sand available from some pits what we use with white cement.
there is also lime mortar which is sand mixed with lime at 6 to 1. premixed at the pit.

Yea pitt sand and silver sand are different...silver sand has a very low clay content if any, but is more expensive than your standard washed rendering sand.

Pitt sand should be avoided, it's yellow.

Been rendering with fine silver sand and hydrated lime for about 15 years around Devon, many properties on sea front and harbourside. No cracks yet :RpS_confused:

It's used with lime putty for a finish coat...

I'm not sure...but if as superspread says if it is pit sand then it may have a high clay content, this would rule and rub up lovely in a cement render but come back the next day and there will be cracks all through it!
Didn't say pit sand but sand that u. Buy with kiddies garden toys

That is true ; I do love the silver sand. Its all I use these days as the plastering sand down our way is too inconsistent. Silver sand and Lime is lovely to rule, rub and sponge. brings a beautiful finish every time :RpS_thumbsup:
yeah the sand down here is gritty and shite really I tend to use silver sand

No its not the same as kiln dried its lovely to use it rubs up really well. Most red sand down round here is a bit gritty and as olican says inconsistent

you have to know the quality of sand from your local pits. some are good for rendering some to soft or to sharp.

o

Interesting that. In London silver sand is generally used for concrete finishing/ repair. It's very very fine, maybe it's different to silver sand in Devon ?
The stuff in London would deffo crack if used on externals

o

Interesting that. In London silver sand is generally used for concrete finishing/ repair. It's very very fine, maybe it's different to silver sand in Devon ?

No it's quite different down here, not too fine. There is a slightly coarse texture to it, nothing at all like kiddies play sand. It binds really well and seems to be really durable. There's about 30 odd properties in Torbay that are 10-20 metres from the sea that I have done with silver, not a crack to be seen...

....yet :RpS_unsure:

o

You See a lot of bad render round here and a big cause of it is the sand, a very experienced spread off here contacted me a while back telling me he had to return 6 tonne of plastering sand to jewson, another load got sent back to Travis. I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as the likes of Rigsby, plasterjfe or yourself but experience has taught me that poor sand leaves a poor finish not matter how well you rule&rub . Anyway enough about sand, what's this about wife with best norks award :RpS_w00t:

You See a lot of bad render round here and a big cause of it is the sand, a very experienced spread off here contacted me a while back telling me he had to return 6 tonne of plastering sand to jewson, another load got sent back to Travis. I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as the likes of Rigsby, plasterjfe or yourself but experience has taught me that poor sand leaves a poor finish not matter how well you rule&rub . Anyway enough about sand, what's this about wife with best norks award :RpS_w00t:

No Oli, your work looks 1st class, in London we have to buy from the big suppliers or Indians so choice is limited. I was thinking that even if the 'norks' weren't that good they should be posted up anyway :RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.