Should Asbestos Artex Be Removed Licenced Contrators?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handyman

Rather than overboard/skim ect. should homeowners be adviced to have Asbestos Artex removed by Licenced Contrators, with the view if at some future date they were to drill through (hang picture hooks etc,) they may in at risk ?

Yes but at a grand a ceiling they won't :RpS_wink: The only time ive seen them removed is on insurance work when there's been a fire or flood & if tested positive for asbestos then licensed contractors will come in & remove it & the insurance pays for this. All my ceilings are artex & contain asbestos but I'm not paying up to £10,000 to have them all removed before I board them :RpS_thumbup:

i know this sounds like a stupid question but if the texture is really thick and spiky, won't your boards be all over the place if you overboard...still need to scrap first?

Its a con artex aint harmful it contains asbestos but not the harmful stuff that kills you, the scary thing that i was told by a structual engineer was not to over board ceilings as it can causes extra stress to the joist's especially on old property's and i have over boarded hundreds of ceilings :RpS_unsure:

maybe that would make sense for upper floors that have joists that don't support floors, but downstairs they're loads stronger.4

never heard of anyone having any comebacks for overboarding, at least I haven't had any touch wood. perhaps the odd screw or nail will pop, but i've never heard of a whole ceiling failing

No i havent but in all fairness i never really gave it any thought until i was told by a structural engineer but i suppose they just work on theory.

Yeah I've seen overboarded bedroom ceilings sag a bit before but the ceiling joists where 3x2 spanning nearly 5metres :-0 whereas downstairs there designed to hold all the weight of the floor above & everything in it, plus people walking about & shagging on beds, floors, cupboards.. etc. :RpS_biggrin: Some joists in old houses can be 8x2 8x3 9x2 9x3 spanning 3m 4m 5m so another layer of boards on these I can't see would make much difference at all. I suppose it all depends on joist size & span if it's an 8x2 joist spanning 3m it would take some weight for it to sag.

Also the trouble being most people put all there crap into the loft me being one of them, one of my ceilings is sagging in one of the bedrooms but i have put a stud wall up separating a room for an extra bathroom but the ceiling is still a nice bulging shape with heavy artex on it so i was going to just bond it and skim it aint going to be the flattest ceiling in the world but i think i can live with it i did want to put a mf ceiling in but the mrs wont let me lose part of the height its 2.8 high now so losing a bit wouldnt matter to me but the mrs seems to think it will.

lads would like some advice if yous would be happy to share some. Iv recently went out on my own and scrape down a considerable amount of artex was wonderingif the right thing to do is get it tested or just coat the lot in bonding and skim it. was lookin at the price of asbestos testing kits but dont know if the punters would pay the amount it takes to get it professionaly removed. I would realy apreciate some advice thanks . Danny

ps to the guys over boarding ceilings . they will fail in time better to rip them down and re sheet them . better that than doing the whole job twice ken wit am on aboot like

ps to the guys over boarding ceilings . they will fail in time better to rip them down and re sheet them . better that than doing the whole job twice ken wit am on aboot like

You're trying to tell a bunch of grannies how to suck eggs mate, which isn't the best way to get them to answer your question. So I'm out.

Why would they fail? Am I being r******d here??????

If your screwing in to the joists and cutting the boards to size then I just can't see why there is a issue. If you just going in to larths then I could see a issue with that

first choice you sound like you are quoting text books that have been given to you on a course. O maybe you've just been talking to Spark 2010 tooo much

but dont know if the punters would pay the amount it takes to get it professionaly removed.

I would say most people wouldnt even dream of paying the cost to have it professionally removed. Asbestos is everywhere in older houses. So long as its in good nick and left alone its fine. How often does the average homeowner actually drill into the ceiling apart from the odd light fixture anyway. Just cover it over.

You're trying to tell a bunch of grannies how to suck eggs mate, which isn't the best way to get them to answer your question. So I'm out.

i think that should be the answering system now.

firstchoiceplasterers, your wrong, ur a dick, im out

Yes but at a grand a ceiling they won't :RpS_wink: The only time ive seen them removed is on insurance work when there's been a fire or flood & if tested positive for asbestos then licensed contractors will come in & remove it & the insurance pays for this. All my ceilings are artex & contain asbestos but I'm not paying up to £10,000 to have them all removed before I board them :RpS_thumbup:
This is the second job in 2 months where both customers have just brought their houses and all the ceilings were tested and they paid to have them removed!!!!

I probably test at least one ceiling a day of which Id say 50% come back as positive.

Chrysotile asbestos was used in some texturing materials all the way up to the year 2000. To take a ceiling down you have to be at least be an unlicensed contractor.

Ill hold my hands up as I used to scrape and pull down ceiling that were patterned on a daily basis. Now as customers get clued up is it really worth it. All its going to take is for one to do a search on the internet and then get in touch with a no win no fee solicitor and you’re screwed.

To take a sample from the ceiling you have to be trained and its to be sent away in a certain manner.

Just remember the people you work for who don’t want to pay the money to get rid of there textured ceilings would most likely have your pants down if they thought they might gain from it.

Cynical maybe .......been there yes

Rather than take the ceilings down there is another way which is to encapsulate the ceilings, this is also common practise with Marley tiles that also contain asbestos. But again to do this you have to be an unlicensed contractor at least

No the customer would just have to get an air test to show how many asbestos particles are in the air, along with a solicitor be hard to fight.

And its not just asbestosis, it can also cause lung cancer and mesothelioma (yes I did have to check the spelling)

''Damn it Jim Im a surveyor not a doctor'', but from what I remember asbestos gets traped in the lungs when inhaled and this can lead to asbestosis over a period of time. Mesothelioma is when the fibres work there way through the lung into the blood stream and this can kill you in two years. Theres a lot less cases but none the less not nice.

So if you dont want to catch nasties always cover up to either scrape ceilings or bag dirty ladies

Good advice, there has also been cases of workers going back home and hugging there children who have also become ill from the contaminated clothing. Scary s**t.

Talking to a woman today who has been nursing for 25+ years and she reckons she has seen dozens of people die through asbestosis and all but ONE of them was a heavy smoker......................

Talking to a woman today who has been nursing for 25+ years and she reckons she has seen dozens of people die through asbestosis and all but ONE of them was a heavy smoker......................

I used to drink with manager of an asbestos stripping firm and he said that he had to give all his lads a written warning telling them that if they were smokers it would multiply by at least four the effects of any asbestos they came into contact with. He then said you obviously know that it's the same with your trade and dust inhalation don't you? Luckily I've never smoked but my old man and two of his brothers did and their lungs are ******, my dads lungs are currently working at only 34% capacity. So if you think wearing dust masks is G** think on especially if you're a smoker.

Quote.." i was told by a structual engineer was not to over board ceilings as it can causes extra stress to the joist's especially on old property's and i have over boarded hundreds of ceilings."
You can use 9.5mm boards to over baord a ceiling. Using 9.5mm is less weight on the joists so less stress on the joists.

Quote.." i was told by a structual engineer was not to over board ceilings as it can causes extra stress to the joist's especially on old property's and i have over boarded hundreds of ceilings."&nbsp;<br>You can use 9.5mm boards to over baord a ceiling. Using 9.5mm is less weight on the joists so less stress on the joists.&nbsp;

Quote.." i was told by a structual engineer was not to over board ceilings as it can causes extra stress to the joist's especially on old property's and i have over boarded hundreds of ceilings."
You can use 9.5mm boards to over baord a ceiling. Using 9.5mm is less weight on the joists so less stress on the joists.

9/5's are lighter than 12.5's, i like youre thinking mate

Status
Not open for further replies.