Settlement/shrinkage cracks

Members online

Borris123

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice on hairline cracks that have developed recently on my new build. The attached photo shows a crack running from top left of ground floor window to corner of first floor sill above it. This is on the front elevation and an almost identical crack pattern has developed on the opposite end of the elevation between two similar windows (I've included a picture of the full elevation for some perspective). The house was plastered in August 2019 but the cracks only became evident during the very warm dry spell we had during lockdown in April/May. No cracks anywhere else on the building, just the front elevation :( Painter has said he can address these but I'm in two minds as to whether I proceed with this or chip off the render and start again. Some have said that it should have been meshed, which it wasn't. Any tips or recommendations very welcome. Thanks!
James
20200719_121930.jpg

Attachments

• 20200802_112216.jpg
    20200802_112216.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 225
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice on hairline cracks that have developed recently on my new build. The attached photo shows a crack running from top left of ground floor window to corner of first floor sill above it. This is on the front elevation and an almost identical crack pattern has developed on the opposite end of the elevation between two similar windows (I've included a picture of the full elevation for some perspective). The house was plastered in August 2019 but the cracks only became evident during the very warm dry spell we had during lockdown in April/May. No cracks anywhere else on the building, just the front elevation :( Painter has said he can address these but I'm in two minds as to whether I proceed with this or chip off the render and start again. Some have said that it should have been meshed, which it wasn't. Any tips or recommendations very welcome. Thanks!
James
View attachment 52224
Looks pretty shocking finish in my opinion looks like it’s been finished soaking wet with all those crazy shite swipe marks almost looks like it’s been dragged floated was it done in winter ?

Wtf kind of finish is that more to the point! That’s gonna look like dogshit when painted rough as assholes

Looks pretty shocking finish in my opinion looks like it’s been finished soaking wet with all those crazy shite swipe marks almost looks like it’s been dragged floated was it done in winter ?
Beat me to it utter shite lol how f**k people let um get away with it :ROFLMAO:

Hi everyone,

James
View attachment 52224
Plus your side bit that ain’t rendered looks like it’s been built with thermolite blocks I wouldn’t like to render on top of that with sand and cement anyway , way to much suction you’d be better off with a silicone based render

As a minimum should be meshed at stress corners of windows

Thermalites lol

Can someone explain to me why general public, builders, developers spend a fortune on land and building the house and then the most important step to make it look good corners are cut? Will never understand it.

Can someone explain to me why general public, builders, developers spend a fortune on land and building the house and then the most important step to make it look good corners are cut? Will never understand it.
Cause the fancy telly more important in cinema room

Was done in early August 2019.

Plus your side bit that ain’t rendered looks like it’s been built with thermolite blocks I wouldn’t like to render on top of that with sand and cement anyway , way to much suction you’d be better off with a silicone based render
Side bit will be stone cladding.

No intention whatsoever to cut corners?! Own land and simply opted for a local plasterer who was recommended to me.

Hi everyone,

James
View attachment 52224
That is truly horrific.

Thanks Kasper. There's still a lot of fill to go onto the site so where the render currently finishes will be well below the finished street/footpath level.

OK, who's set up a second account for a wind up?

Hi everyone,

James
View attachment 52224
Check the cracks and see if the blocks have cracked or just render first !