Self teaching

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essex

What's everyone's views on self teaching yourself I've just acquired a unit which I can I can plaster the hell out of...can't get work with a plasterer courses seem too over rated so all the info is on here and the web so could I self teach? Practice makes perfect as they say

Yea really good thanks mate was a good enjoyable day and he was honest about how much work he had and that he really couldn't afford to take me on at the moment... I really enjoyed and appreciated the guys time and help I'm hoping a few more guys will have me along but understand it is tough but hopefully someone will take me eventually :) till then ill have a go meself and ask on here if I have questions...how's work for you fatarm? Hope ya well

self teaching lacks the delicate critique of your usual dour plasterer...you need some one to tell you if the application and end result is correct or not..

Last edited:
I understand what you mean but I suppose at the moment I'm working with what I've got to be honest...which is no prospect of a labouring job no college till September a £1700 course which I don't think is worth it...and the Internet and the forum...so at the moment I feel practice is maybe my best route till a oppurtunity in one shape or another in the plastering feild comes up

Yea really good thanks mate was a good enjoyable day and he was honest about how much work he had and that he really couldn't afford to take me on at the moment... I really enjoyed and appreciated the guys time and help I'm hoping a few more guys will have me along but understand it is tough but hopefully someone will take me eventually :) till then ill have a go meself and ask on here if I have questions...how's work for you fatarm? Hope ya well
Good you enjoyed it and you might get more out of him?the boy I'm workin for
Has enough to keep us goin fir now, but we've been busier:RpS_thumbup:crack on with the self teaching ,ask questions on here,some good guys here, a bit like a TPF. plastering course..:RpS_biggrin:good luck to ya, your exploring all avenues.

Yea the guy said I can come along as and when he has the work which is great :) unfortunately were expecting a few days of snow hopefully may hear from him or some other avenues I've tried over next week or two...glad your doing ok and thanks for being supportive tends to be alot of reasons why alot of methods to learn aren't good but not much support on methods you want/are trying...but I will carry on eventually I will get there :) thanks for replying :)

Just keep your head up mate ,and do what your doing by keeping your name in the frame :RpS_thumbsup:

I wouldn't self teach. You need someone to tell you where you are going wrong. I was self taught in a way as an apprentice. First 18 months not being allowed on the tools then got put with a guy in his last 6 months before retirement. When he retired I just carried on with what knowledge I had. The miserable old buggers I worked with only told me where I had gone wrong so I had to learn all the wrong ways leaving only the right way left.

They couldn't stand youth those who I worked with. But I had the good fortune to watch as well.

If you have a problem getting plasterers to let you observe then you can always pay them to let you get involved. Get a spread to teach you by paying him to. Sounds a bit weird I know but most trainees want to be paid to learn. Thats ok if you make your teacher money but otherwise what's the point?

Learn some of the basics from someone who knows their stuff. Get the fundamentals right and then start practicing. No point in practicing something until you know the basic technical side of it. Check out Tommy walshes guide on youtube. Sounds daft but his vids are really good!!!!

I've heard it all now fair play there's some idiots out there, listen to rigsby he's spot on 90 percent of learning early days is watching

agreed, I always watch other spreads, you never know the way they do it may be easier/faster/better etc, but you first have to know the basics and that takes time to learn

Yeah I wouldn't self teach...

I practiced a lot, I reboarded my parents garage a few times and that helped a lot with speed and getting angles right etc but you still need the guidance and coaching of a pro plasterer...

I admire your dedication if you can keep that up then you will finds someone....

Have you thought about offering to labour for free for plasterers and all they need to do is sort your lunch out and pint at the end of the day? I use to work a lot for people for nothing just so I could see what was going with the trade...

The other that you need to be conscious of is that a local plasterer wont be interested in helping someone who he is going to have to compete with in the future.... Not sure how to get round that problem but something to consider

Danny

Essex you can practice floating with just sand and lime then once you have completed an area and you are happy just knock it off re'mix and start again.Also post some pictures of your work up on here and we can have a laugh....oops .....i mean give you some pointers and some constructive comments.

if you have been around plasteres and feel you know the basics but lack the confidance to do it alone you could try and generate some work and when you get it call up a local plaster and split the work between yo meaning he will get work he wouldnt have other wise nd you will learn from him.... its kind of how i did it

www.primeplastering.info

if you have been around plasteres and feel you know the basics but lack the confidance to do it alone you could try and generate some work and when you get it call up a local plaster and split the work between yo meaning he will get work he wouldnt have other wise nd you will learn from him.... its kind of how i did it

www.primeplastering.info

Lol That was my business model :)

I use to sell hard and get high prices and was able to bring someone in that could do it :) I also learnt on the way as well... the trouble is the rates now are quite low... so you still may be working for little but still its a way in :)

Danny

Essex you can practice floating with just sand and lime then once you have completed an area and you are happy just knock it off re'mix and start again.Also post some pictures of your work up on here and we can have a laugh....oops .....i mean give you some pointers and some constructive comments.

We had to use sand and lime at college. A bit raw so I took my own feb mix.

Good idea though. Do it in two coats to start with and then go onto one 8mm scratch coat.

Thank you all for comments :D yea I'm trying the work for free angle lately did get a day with a guy he even covered my fuel which was a massive help...I am going to keep trying plasterers as I'm eager :) I understand what you are saying about needing someone to show you the right way and I'm sure at some point I will get an oppurtunity by someone somehow...

thanks all

even just pissing about taking gear off you (handboard) hawk and dolloping it on again will help no end :)

Good luck

Practice makes perfect................5 yr apprenticeships aren't too common these days.

Get competent as a trowel hand and learn as you progress

but how can you teach yourself if you dont know the correct procedure to start with.
and theres a reason why apprenticeships arnt common place these days as ive moaned about in other posts.

Yea I understand what you mean Danny cheers :) owls I can see your point unfortunately to find a plastering apprentiship I think I'm dreaming in this job climate...but iwill find someone to teach me just don't know who and when lol...

If you do get someone who might be interested in training you and taking you on as a trainee then something to consider.

Most people who contact me for an apprenticeship only tell me what they they want. I want to be a plasterer. I want you to teach me everything you know. I also of course want paying well for the privilege of taking in all your knowledge.

What in return for all this can you offer back?

Sell what you can offer in return for all the training and don't lie! Keep to your side of the bargain. Remember one day you may become your tutors competition or work for his competitors. So think? whats in it for him? What can you do to make it worth his while?

There are enthusiasts out there who love to teach. I used to be one of them but timewasters and back stabbers knocked it out of me. It took 20 years years to take effect though.

Good luck Essex and you will always find advice on here if you need it.

On another point do BG or who ever they are now still make the white book? The white book was a technical manual for all of British Gypsums systems. If Essex could get a copy of todays equivalent if there still is one and study it that would give him the theories.

You can get the white book off amizon it does cost a bit maybe some one on here's got one to sell?

If you do get someone who might be interested in training you and taking you on as a trainee then something to consider.

Most people who contact me for an apprenticeship only tell me what they they want. I want to be a plasterer. I want you to teach me everything you know. I also of course want paying well for the privilege of taking in all your knowledge.

What in return for all this can you offer back?

Sell what you can offer in return for all the training and don't lie! Keep to your side of the bargain. Remember one day you may become your tutors competition or work for his competitors. So think? whats in it for him? What can you do to make it worth his while?

There are enthusiasts out there who love to teach. I used to be one of them but timewasters and back stabbers knocked it out of me. It took 20 years years to take effect though.

Good luck Essex and you will always find advice on here if you need it.

On another point do BG or who ever they are now still make the white book? The white book was a technical manual for all of British Gypsums systems. If Essex could get a copy of todays equivalent if there still is one and study it that would give him the theories.

yes they still produce one bi-yearly i think it is, as they still send me one out as im still on there mailing list.
ive also had loads of lads with me come for days here and there to have ago with machine rendering, i had a fella recently off here come with us,and he found it worth while.

but how can you teach yourself if you dont know the correct procedure to start with.
and theres a reason why apprenticeships arnt common place these days as ive moaned about in other posts.

The basics in handling a trowel is not exactly a mystic art - my point being that - that in learning to handle the basics, it will give him the ability to jump in with a crew, whereby he can refine those basic skills which can then be developed into more advanced plastering skills. Not for a minute suggesting that he would become a competent spread via self teaching

Thanks people ill have a browse on amazon later and try to find it :) rigsby I see your point but can I offer him except that once he has trained me ill stay with him to help him re coup money back off me...

thanks people for help and advice

Status
Not open for further replies.