Second coat of bonding

ste25

Hello
I used some bonding plaster today to bulk a hole out ready for a bit of skim problem is i put the first coat on keyed it ready for second coat of bonding but didn't get the chance as i had to rush out so was wandering is it possible the give it a second coat of bonding the day after if so what would the preparation be?
Thanks

Hello
I used some bonding plaster today to bulk a hole out ready for a bit of skim problem is i put the first coat on keyed it ready for second coat of bonding but didn't get the chance as i had to rush out so was wandering is it possible the give it a second coat of bonding the day after if so what would the preparation be?
Thanks

as jess says PVA it and go again :D

if you cant be bothered to wait too long before coats British Gypsum have something called Bonding 60 :D It goes off in 60 mins :D

Its not a problem, just damp down/wet the first coat you put on, with a spray then brush on a drop of pva, then fill it out with another coat of bonding right away.

as jess says PVA it and go again :D

if you cant be bothered to wait too long before coats British Gypsum have something called Bonding 60 :D It goes off in 60 mins :D
What colour are they? (the bags). I think I'm getting that in standard Bonding coat bags. Used four bags recently and had to go like the clappers and scrape all me tools and tubs afterwards. Bags are in date and off a fresh pallet from Travis Perkins.

Used some 60 yesterday its workable for about 30 minutes if that helps

DD27BC28-29FB-40F3-BA37-6BDC12952606.jpeg

I suppose the fact that plasterers don't use much cement these days has opened up a market for this Bonding 60.
Now as I remember it from the mine tour, BG have to put stuff into all the gypsum plasters to slow down their setting. So does that mean that BG are charging more for putting less of something into the Bonding?
Would we all be surprised if this were true?

What colour are they? (the bags). I think I'm getting that in standard Bonding coat bags. Used four bags recently and had to go like the clappers and scrape all me tools and tubs afterwards. Bags are in date and off a fresh pallet from Travis Perkins.
I found that also, the normal bonding was setting quickly ,suited me

I suppose the fact that plasterers don't use much cement these days has opened up a market for this Bonding 60.
Now as I remember it from the mine tour, BG have to put stuff into all the gypsum plasters to slow down their setting. So does that mean that BG are charging more for putting less of something into the Bonding?
Agreed. Handful of cement bobs your uncle (actually bob is my father) I don't think I'll ever buy the 60 stuff it's expensive when cement works just fine

I always carried cement around in an old 25litre paint pot... so to be honest it was never an issue

Ccf £11.50 plus vat mate I know it’s a tad to expensive there but wanted a bag for a bathroom job , apparently £8.50 ish at wickes though , some stores have it stocked regularly now
I get the idea of using it, it saves you hanging around waiting for small patches to go off and so saves money but bonding used to go off pretty damn quick years ago, you had to wash your shovel etc after two or three gauges

I get the idea of using it, it saves you hanging around waiting for small patches to go off and so saves money but bonding used to go off pretty damn quick years ago, you had to wash your shovel etc after two or three gauges
Others have said it’s lovely to skim over and I agree tbh , might sound daft but the skim just feels right when going over it , saying that though maybe that’s just how it does feel as I’ve got so used to skimming over complete crap all the time on reskims, if you know what I mean,

Tbf I should fill out more than I actually do on most jobs with bonding or equivalent that’s needed, I’d even critique myself that I’m bad for not doing that enough

Others have said it’s lovely to skim over and I agree tbh , might sound daft but the skim just feels right when going over it , saying that though maybe that’s just how it does feel as I’ve got so used to skimming over complete crap all the time on reskims, if you know what I mean,

Tbf I should fill out more than I actually do on most jobs with bonding or equivalent that’s needed, I’d even critique myself that I’m bad for not doing that enough
Re skimming is crap isn’t it but it’s all part and parcel I guess, we don’t fill out like we should quite often fill chases etc with multi then stick jute scrim over the top, cheating I know but it works

Now as I remember it from the mine tour, BG have to put stuff into all the gypsum plasters to slow down their setting. ...
And cement manufacturers put gypsum in cement to stop it flash setting...so..cement slows gypsum plaster setting and gypsum slows cement setting. Sounds like none of the damn stuff should ever set!

Since when has cement slowed the setting time of light weight gypsum plasters? It always used to make it go off quick and bonding made sand and cement go off quick although obviously you shouldn’t do this as it will anull any help from British gypsum etc if something goes wrong and they find out