• to screed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • or not to screed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Freerider_2009 said:
always use screeds, may take longer laying them to begin with but so much quick to rule off and far less (french word)ing about to get the wall straight.

If your the sort of spread that dont give a (german word) if the wall is all plumb and level then free hand is alright, but I was always taught to straight a wall out!

sometimes you come across walls so bent/curved/bricks at all different depths that without screeds you really are just making life (french word)ing difficult for yourself in my opinion! Ive watched the two other spreads I know floating and they do it free hand and it just doesnt look anywhere near as proffessional, the only time I reckon it works is on site where the block work is all BANG ON, then its a piece of (french word) to lay an even amount over the whole wall.

But thats just my opinion :D

Spot on Free, this week I've had another spread (a member on here) work with me for a couple of days and he used the freehand method and it was definitely not quicker. His walls were straight and upright but it was a fair bit slower and troublesome on the shite blockwork using his method, and his render wasn't closed in as nicely as mine because of the suction on the Celcons.

church said:
Use a draper plastic float that will sort it , who was it Andy anyway ?

It was Terry, he's a nice guy and like I said his work was straight enough. He did use a poly float to scratch up the same as I do but because he was putting on big areas before ruling off it had gone a bit dry and couldn't be closed in with a featheredge whereas by using screeds I was only putting on one or two m2 before ruling off which meant that I was always ruling off nice fresh gear which could go straight back onto the board to be reused without the need for wetting it up and the walls were nicely closed in with the edge so not needing to much work with the float. I know that you know all of what I've just said Church but thought I put it there for those that don't know the advantages of using screeds, not just to do a better job but to also make things easier for ourselves.

church said:
Didnt know Terry was from Essex way , do you work Saturdays Andrew ?

ANDREW!!!!!! I just knew it you're my mum using a sudaname aren't you :D

Very, very rare for me to work Saturdays Church, why you got so much on you need a hand?
I've also just taken another lad on from here (don't know his user name) as a labourer although he can plaster, he's another real nice chap and I think we'll work well together.

essexandy said:
Freerider_2009 said:
always use screeds, may take longer laying them to begin with but so much quick to rule off and far less (french word)ing about to get the wall straight.

If your the sort of spread that dont give a (german word) if the wall is all plumb and level then free hand is alright, but I was always taught to straight a wall out!

sometimes you come across walls so bent/curved/bricks at all different depths that without screeds you really are just making life (french word)ing difficult for yourself in my opinion! Ive watched the two other spreads I know floating and they do it free hand and it just doesnt look anywhere near as proffessional, the only time I reckon it works is on site where the block work is all BANG ON, then its a piece of (french word) to lay an even amount over the whole wall.

Spot on Free, this week I've had another spread (a member on here) work with me for a couple of days and he used the freehand method and it was definitely not quicker. His walls were straight and upright but it was a fair bit slower and troublesome on the (german word)e blockwork using his method, and his render wasn't closed in as nicely as mine because of the suction on the Celcons.

You'd never be able to use screeds on site though surely, you would never earn any money?

What, you evan use screeds if your floating a whole house out? i thought it was just done for the odd wall, that needed to be perfect for worktops or squash walls!!

s.p.t plastering said:
essexandy said:
Freerider_2009 said:

Spot on Free, this week I've had another spread (a member on here) work with me for a couple of days and he used the freehand method and it was definitely not quicker. His walls were straight and upright but it was a fair bit slower and troublesome on the (german word)e blockwork using his method, and his render wasn't closed in as nicely as mine because of the suction on the Celcons.

You'd never be able to use screeds on site though surely, you would never earn any money?

What, you evan use screeds if your floating a whole house out? i thought it was just done for the odd wall, that needed to be perfect for worktops or squash walls!!

I use screeds on every wall on every job apart from those that are so small that I can put the whole wall on rule both screeds and the bit between and it still be soft enough to use the muck taken off. It just isn't a slow way of working and almost all my work is site work.
If I do work any Saturday I'll give you a buzz Church, I reckon we'd work well together and we could rip the piss out of all the other mambers ;)
My screeds tend to be about 300-350mm wide, I find that by keeping them narrow there's less chance of being out of square with the wall.

Ok Andrew . I use screeds about a meter in width depending on the size wall , if the wall is under a meter wide i dont :D

How do you do screeds?

Iv'e seen a few defferent ways, is there any videos anywhere?

I wouldn't attempt it on site for £5 a meter, but for my own stuff i price.

How many meters a day do float essexandy doing it this way?

Always use screeds,2 virtical then 2 horizontal,rule them,get level on them,make sure all is plumb,fill in your boxes and rule off useing your screeds,horizontaly then verticly,job done.Easy and quick

s.p.t plastering said:
How do you do screeds?

Usually between 80-100m2 with sand & cement

flynnyman said:
nothing wrong with screeds but once you master the art of using a feather edge you wont need them.

chancer, you can just eye things in and expect them to be perfect mate, if you could then people would not bother with spirit levels. if they did and everyone had the same opinion what would the building sites of the future look like? ;D

essexandy said:
s.p.t plastering said:
How do you do screeds?

Usually between 80-100m2 with sand & cement

Bloody hell mate....You serious?.....And with screeds?

Are we on about the same screeds here..lol...Where you put up guides plum/level, and rule off between them...

If so, how the hell do you do that so quick?

it can be faster than not using them because instead of ruling a whole wall you only have to rule thin strips then when you flank in it only takes mins because you have got nice level guids to work off. the only time you have to wait is whilst they set but if you are doing a whole house then by the time you lay them all then the first ones are set anyway. also at the end of the job you know every wall is spot on :)

kirk johnstone said:
it can be faster than not using them because instead of ruling a whole wall you only have to rule thin strips then when you flank in it only takes mins because you have got nice level guids to work off. the only time you have to wait is whilst they set but if you are doing a whole house then by the time you lay them all then the first ones are set anyway. also at the end of the job you know every wall is spot on :)

That's what i mean, you would have to wait ages for all the screeds to set..

What do you use to do it?... i seen some one useing timbers before...

If u do NVQ 2 you'll be tought to use dabs and screed. If your self taught u'll just feather edge to a half decent standard. Personally i screed where ever possible. Like Captain Kirk says if your doing a few rooms by the time you finish screeding your second room your 1st walls will be ready for ruling and it's no slower than freehand. Can slag the bloke off for wanting to do a plum wall (Is that not what we're meant to be doing?).

thougt the brickies were meant to get the walls plumb,was once told i had done a wall 30mm out of plumb told the guy that must have took some doing using the 12mm you are paying me for.

Not all walls are brand new, believe it or not some houses are old and suffer movement! if your on site put your biig level horizontal across a new block wall and it will prob be out, put it across at an angle and i guarentee it'll b out!

[quote

chancer, you can just eye things in and expect them to be perfect mate, if you could then people would not bother with spirit levels. if they did and everyone had the same opinion what would the building sites of the future look like? ;D
[/quote]

there you go again mouthing off to and about someone you dont know

On a job where gaffa wants stone Walls rendered with sbr, then apply tanking slurry, then finish off with limelite base and skim.
The Walls aren't too bad, but can see i'm guns have to harp the scratchcoat on... anyway, my question is should I use screeds on render or just eye render in, slurry then screed limelite?

irish_spread said:
im gonna buy one of those level things and try it out. Where do they sell these tools of the devil?
i need some new bubbles for my level any one now ware u can get them ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.