Sbr

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peg

Whats the best way to render onto SBR?

Tech spec says mix with cement, one coat let it dry then another, render while tacky. I was told the same from techical manager from a leading chemical company. Bloody messy though as when mixed with cement it dries black and goes everywhere, nightmare to remove.

Some guys i know SBR with nothing in it, let it dry then render onto it.

Asking this question for rendering over existing render and areas that have been stripped due to render failing or old.

use rendiad instead gets about the same coverage you can trowel it on then lightly scratch it or stipple with stiff brush

Tech spec says mix with cement, one coat let it dry then another, render while tacky. I was told the same from techical manager from a leading chemical company. Bloody messy though as when mixed with cement it dries black and goes everywhere, nightmare to remove.

Asking this question for rendering over existing render and areas that have been stripped due to render failing or old.

If your going to go the sbr/cement route then spray it on with a tyrolean gun and if it does dry before you get on it with your render then it has a good key without doing any thing to it, alternately use a pre-rend as monk say's but generally you need 24hrs before going over the top of these

As far as i'm aware SBR is used to control the suction of your substrate, so it goes on the walls straight from the tub. i've heard people sayin they add it to the mix, but why on earth would you?? Feb mix is all i've ever added to s&c and synthetic hair to add tensile strength, never had any problems.

As far as i'm aware SBR is used to control the suction of your substrate, so it goes on the walls straight from the tub. i've heard people sayin they add it to the mix, but why on earth would you?? Feb mix is all i've ever added to s&c and synthetic hair to add tensile strength, never had any problems.

SBR has many uses, and not just suction control, it's a product designed too improve adhesion and bonding, has excellent resistance to water/moisture (extensively used in tanking and render used under hydrostatic pressure) , improves the workability and strength of a mix, reduces the need for additional water, and reduces the the risk of shrinkage and cracking to name a few:RpS_cool:

use the tyro gun as warrior says, if you use rendaid leave for min 3 days before you overcoat just to be on safe side.

I use sbr mix with cement it turns a blue colour then render over when its tacky but its only messy as you make it!!
Old bucket and old 6 inch brush and hardboard for the floor just make sure if you get it any ware you dont wont it to wipe it of asap coz once its dried you ant got no chance

Hi, I plan to use a home made Tyrolean mix with a flicker gun to cover a block wall, with an idea to add colouring. Can anyone advise me about the type of sand I should use and type of colouring I could use? Do I need to water proof this also? Can I use latex/unibond to help it stick? How much? I can not use a ready mix because It is not available in the country I plan to use it and I would not pay the prices they ask anyway. Any tips would be most helpful as I have a lot of wall to cover. Many thanks, Lawrence.

SBR has many uses, and not just suction control, it's a product designed too improve adhesion and bonding, has excellent resistance to water/moisture (extensively used in tanking and render used under hydrostatic pressure) , improves the workability and strength of a mix, reduces the need for additional water, and reduces the the risk of shrinkage and cracking to name a few:RpS_cool:

listen and learn

When SBR is applied neat to a wall its probably a high suction background which needs holding back.

Not sure if its neat m8 maybe watered down, but I have seen lads whack it on the wall before scratching, to control suction.

Last edited:
Never heard of it being applied neat? only neat as addmix in S/C gauges.

May have been watered down m8, but it used instead of pva to control suction, seal dust on surface before rendering. Think you can also use waterproof pva. Although i would use SBR.

To be honest I always just dampen the background before scratch, but can't see it doing any harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.