SBR Peeling off wall (substrate and old finish)

Travelcard

I applied a 50/50 SBR mix and left it for a day. Applied the first coat of multi finish this morning and noticed it was grazing and cracking really bad.

Decided to remove all the plaster I'd applied and then found all the SBR peeling off (see photo).

Any ideas?

Attachments

• sbr peel.jpg
    sbr peel.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 57
I applied a 50/50 SBR mix and left it for a day. Applied the first coat of multi finish this morning and noticed it was grazing and cracking really bad.

Decided to remove all the plaster I'd applied and then found all the SBR peeling off (see photo).

Any ideas?

That 1 coat, moved dust and s**t around and remained unstable.

If you had done a 5 or 3 to 1 first, then a 2nd coat of 50/50, she'd have held.

That 1 coat, moved dust and s**t around and remained unstable.

If you had done a 5 or 3 to 1 first, then a 2nd coat of 50/50, she'd have held.

I've called it a day on the multi finish, up goes the tile backer board. Time to move on. Finish the poxy job and take a vowel never ever, under any circumstance touch another bathroom refit :(

I've called it a day on the multi finish, up goes the tile backer board. Time to move on. Finish the poxy job and take a vowel never ever, under any circumstance touch another bathroom refit :(
It was just too dry mate, if you'd sponged it down first the problem wouldn't have occurred !
Bathroom refits ain't to blame, they are shite though TBH ! :confused:

It was just too dry mate, if you'd sponged it down first the problem wouldn't have occurred !
Bathroom refits ain't to blame, they are shite though TBH ! :confused:
I put plenty of water on just prior to plastering.

From the feedback on this thread, I had another untouched wall I decided to experiment on.

I cleaned the wall so I could lick it and not one piece of dust or other detritus come off the wall. Gave it a 4:1 SBR, let it dry then a 3:1 then a 1:1. I checked how long it would absorb water, cleaned it down then plastered with the rest of the multi finish (use by June 24). The plaster stayed nice and wet gently drying out over 24 hours. Then cracks started to appear (see pic)

That leaves two issues : Bad Multi Finish or me. I can't see the plaster being at fault, so I've declared myself a s@i# plasterer and will in future stick to tile board :(

Attachments

• Fail 01.jpg
    Fail 01.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
  • Fail 02.jpg
    Fail 02.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 27
I put plenty of water on just prior to plastering.

From the feedback on this thread, I had another untouched wall I decided to experiment on.

I cleaned the wall so I could lick it and not one piece of dust or other detritus come off the wall. Gave it a 4:1 SBR, let it dry then a 3:1 then a 1:1. I checked how long it would absorb water, cleaned it down then plastered with the rest of the multi finish (use by June 24). The plaster stayed nice and wet gently drying out over 24 hours. Then cracks started to appear (see pic)

That leaves two issues : Bad Multi Finish or me. I can't see the plaster being at fault, so I've declared myself a s@i# plasterer and will in future stick to tile board :(
FFS Mate !!! Sorry to hear that , :confused:

Any ideas?
It sounds like evaporation crazing, sealing the background is one thing but killing the suction altogether is a Nono surely. Page 1

I rarely use SBR internally mainly stick to good old PVA and prefer to plaster when it's dried.
But when I use SBR I never plaster when it's dried, I always plaster over it wet or tacky.