Sand cement with lime

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack88

Already done a 4:1 scratch coat with SBR + Feb added and mesh bedded in. The top coat they want colour matched to the pointing mortor which is 5:1:1. Bit apprehensive as i've not used this mix before, always use feb plasticiser. Is there anything to watch out for when adding lime (hydrated) to S&C mixes guys?? shrinkage cracks etc and any tips on preperation to avoid this happening. thankyou:RpS_thumbup:

Adding lime will make it more flexible and less prone to cracks.

It will also makes it a lot easier to rub up

It's important that you don't put too much lime in or it will crack with expansion. As a guide 1 volume of lime to 6 sand 1 cement. So a 4 sand 1 cement would want 2/3 of 1 lime etc.

Don't forget that most cement dyes have a platiciser included so reduce the Febmix accordingly.

its not gone well at all, never used hydrated lime in my mixes before and it was covered in cracks the next day..managed to close them up ok...customer was happy..but i was'nt...i've used dedicated non hydraulic lime systems and hydraulic lime systems with no problems...with s&c mixes, i'll be sticking with S&C with added feb in future, never failed me as yet..thanks for the advice all the same!!

Used to do that Bubbles dont think anyone bothers nowadays, hydrated lime in a mix needs to stay in the mixer for a good 5 minutes whereas if you done that with Feb it would probably put to much air in and make it all fluffy.

Status
Not open for further replies.