Sand / Cement Render for soundproofing

Members online

geeovana

Hi,

In a bit of a muddle / most stressful period of my life and hoping for some advice on here.

Moved into a 1930's Semi a few months ago and we have been in rented accommodation so we have decided to renovate prior to moving in. We got significantly carried away when we discovered a lot of the plaster was blown and decided to rip all the plaster and ceilings out (Lathe and plaster) and have the entire house plaster boarded. The night after the plasterboard was skimmed I walked in and instantly heard the neighbours very loudly which I hadn't previously to my knowledge. Cut a long story short, I read about the 'drumskin effect' and ripped the dot and dab off all the party walls and had them wet plastered to remove the cavity created by the dot and dab. This has had a someone positive effect I think, however we can still hear the neighbours quite loud. General low level TV, talking , coughing etc. It seems to be emanating mainly from the lounge alcoves. The neighbours have had a large extension on the back of the house which looks to be open plan with the original lounge area, tiled floors etc. which obviously will not be helping. The plasterer used Hard wall + skim and has done a decent job (visually) and the walls obviously feel very dense when knocked compared to the plasterboard walls. I am looking at removing the dot & dab off the walls that tie into the party walls and having these wet plastered as well as I think there is a lot of flanking noise going on. I have attached a photo below of the plaster that was on there previously which I believe was a lime plaster mix if someone can confirm? Looking on the Gypsum website the weight given for Hardwall is 8.8 kg / m^2 at 11mm thick which I work out to give a density of approx. 800 kg/m^3. I have worked out the density of a 1:6 cement / sand render would give a density of approx. double that. I am wondering if I need to remove the Hardwall from the alcoves and replace with a Sand / Cement mix to add some mass back to the walls in these areas? I'm trying to replicate what we had before as best we can if anyone has any thoughts . . . ?

Attachments

• IMG_20220418_190304635.jpg
    IMG_20220418_190304635.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20220418_183420673.jpg
    IMG_20220418_183420673.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 108
Hi,

In a bit of a muddle / most stressful period of my life and hoping for some advice on here.

Moved into a 1930's Semi a few months ago and we have been in rented accommodation so we have decided to renovate prior to moving in. We got significantly carried away when we discovered a lot of the plaster was blown and decided to rip all the plaster and ceilings out (Lathe and plaster) and have the entire house plaster boarded. The night after the plasterboard was skimmed I walked in and instantly heard the neighbours very loudly which I hadn't previously to my knowledge. Cut a long story short, I read about the 'drumskin effect' and ripped the dot and dab off all the party walls and had them wet plastered to remove the cavity created by the dot and dab. This has had a someone positive effect I think, however we can still hear the neighbours quite loud. General low level TV, talking , coughing etc. It seems to be emanating mainly from the lounge alcoves. The neighbours have had a large extension on the back of the house which looks to be open plan with the original lounge area, tiled floors etc. which obviously will not be helping. The plasterer used Hard wall + skim and has done a decent job (visually) and the walls obviously feel very dense when knocked compared to the plasterboard walls. I am looking at removing the dot & dab off the walls that tie into the party walls and having these wet plastered as well as I think there is a lot of flanking noise going on. I have attached a photo below of the plaster that was on there previously which I believe was a lime plaster mix if someone can confirm? Looking on the Gypsum website the weight given for Hardwall is 8.8 kg / m^2 at 11mm thick which I work out to give a density of approx. 800 kg/m^3. I have worked out the density of a 1:6 cement / sand render would give a density of approx. double that. I am wondering if I need to remove the Hardwall from the alcoves and replace with a Sand / Cement mix to add some mass back to the walls in these areas? I'm trying to replicate what we had before as best we can if anyone has any thoughts . . . ?
be easier to use gypsum sound coat, 15mm sound block boards and skim

If you search the internet there are many companies offering so called sollutions to reduce sound transmission, some horrendously expensive. I've worked in lots of modern apartments that have them and not yet come across any that work well enough to recommend.