sand and lime on gyproc ceiling wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.

davy

alright lads first post on here. i,ve been a plasterer for 22yrs and thought i,d seen everything good and bad in our line of work.my m8,s a painter n long story short asked me if i,d have a look at a ceiling he,d stripped paper off as some of the plaster was loose and cracked.i cut out a section 2 discover a lime finish over sand and lime base coat onto gyproc no skrim on joints f##k knows how thy got the base coat 2 stick:RpS_lol:.jst wonderin if any fellow trowels had ever came across this?

Cheers for the welcome lads.stripped the old shitty plaster off and re-plastered it !!manky job but somebody has 2 do it eh lads!

should have just artexed it couple of years and youll have the job again to skim it flat

Lathe board, iirc you fix it with a gap between the boards and the backing/skim folds round the edges so no scrim needed. I one one spread who likes to put a clout nail between his plasterboards so as to leave a small gap for this reason (scrims them of course).

Penny gap I think we called it, not seen them 16" boards for yonks, not fkin bothered either :RpS_thumbup:

Pretty sure Bang & Screw sells them - they had them the last I went in there.
Never used them myself tbh

never heard of em rhys
Strawboard walls, held together with brackets. Supposed to tape the joints and skim but the skim crazed like mad so they had to be boarded. Apparently they were introduced as a cost effective walling system instead of stud walls + insulation. They weren't much cop.

Status
Not open for further replies.