Sand and cement render bathroom walls

Members online

HarryUK147

Hello all. I would like to render my bathroom walls with sand and cement. Can someone here tell me the mix to be used? I was thinking 4:1 plasterers sand and cement for scratch coat, and 5:1 top coat. Is this correct? The wall is brick double skin cavity.

Thank you

Probably 4 shovel fulls of sand and cement per mix. Is there a way to measure, or will a cap full per mix be ok?

Probably 4 shovel fulls of sand and cement per mix. Is there a way to measure, or will a cap full per mix be ok?
Don't do four shovel fulls of each mate. It's four of sand and then one of cement! Just a squirt of fairy liquid or morning fresh should be okay instead of the plasticizer. About the same amount as when you do a sinkfull of dishes.

Hello all. I would like to render my bathroom walls with sand and cement. Can someone here tell me the mix to be used? I was thinking 4:1 plasterers sand and cement for scratch coat, and 5:1 top coat. Is this correct? The wall is brick double skin cavity.

Thank you
Don't do four shovel fulls of each mate. It's four of sand and then one of cement! Just a squirt of fairy liquid or morning fresh should be okay instead of the plasticizer. About the same amount as when you do a sinkfull of dishes.

Fair enough mate. I'm just trying to help. I was just going by the last thing he said that read like he meant four of each.

I know mate. Am just taken the piss. Fairy in the mix i like to use it. Makes it easier to push the s@c up the wall. Not a thing worng using it. (y)

Try it makes life a lot easier. Am surprised you have never used it. I put a bit in to each mix with plasticiser just a small bit.
Never heard of it clemo..ive seen brickies use it just never asked..only do rendering wen needs must prefer internal work

used to use washing up liquid all the time,, if we ran out we just looked under the home owners sink and used theirs

Ha fairy liquid. Takes me back to the 80's mixing for my old man, we'd use use it because it was cheaper than feb mix plastisiser. It worked just as good so couldn't knock it.

I Always use the old fairy liquid for dry dashing it goes on and sits beautiful. Some will knock it but as the saying goes don't knock it til you've tried it.

I've never had any problems with it. I remember we were doing the Belle Vale centre years ago and we were pulled for using it. Funny enough it was doing some toilets. The shithouse gang they used to call us because we did all the toilets. Funny. Brings it back. We used to get a lift there off some spark who had an old chiller van. The door was broken on the back and we had to take turns holding it shut with a piece of rope. It was freezing in there.

It wasn't Belle Vale actually. That was way back. I think it was the Pyramids in Birkenhead in the nineties. I don't think you can say one is right and one is wrong to be honest. If it works and results are fine then I can't see the problem. I think the Romans used animal fats and animal blood and their buildings are still standing and I remember I was in Puglia in Italy and I saw some local builders using what looked like lard in their mix.

Building inspector old brickie that's all he ever used,prefer apple makes room smell fresh and remind me of strongbow,happy days