salt suddenly appearing in my brickwork???

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeyspread

Hello Spreads. I just noticed tonight my gable end has suddenly started to show salt chrystals. its even under the bay window. The house is a hundred year old and i have had it for 10 years. This is the first sign of it...what do you reckon has started it and what would you advise me to do?

Cheers fellas

could be to do with the recent hard winter, the old house is breaking up a bit mate:RpS_thumbup:

thanks for your advice fellas...can you tell this is my first go on here? im not very technological. will get the hang of it soon i hope. OVER haha

Unusual to happen after all this time sounds like the pointing is failing and salts are leaching from the lime morter.

Thanks for the help everyone. Maybe i should grind the joints out and re point them? ...saying that, its actually secreteing through the brick face. Ive done a bit of damp work before but this one puzzles me. Hmmmmmmm

Hi Chris, Yeah first signs. been in the house a decade. its literally all of a sudden. coming through (or maybe spreading across) the face of the brick.

Thanks for the help everyone. Maybe i should grind the joints out and re point them? ...saying that, its actually secreteing through the brick face. Ive done a bit of damp work before but this one puzzles me. Hmmmmmmm
If the joints need grinding out it dont need repointiing, i would say this amount of time any salts would have long dispersed but as has been said common on old buildings something ive never seen , what bricks are they?

haha! i will ask her to take some photos when she has finished boarding the kitchen cieling for me.
serious though...i will take some photos and up load them asap. ps fellas... does anyone know the difference between a camera and a sock?
one takes photos, the other takes five...BOOM BOOM!

is the roof leaking near the gutter line or have you coping stones on a parapet wall? or just a row of headers on a parapet wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.