rising damp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucious says of tubes; This product has been advertised in the Sunday broadsheets for many years dont know if it works but something must be right to afford that kind of advertising as far as i am aware there is only one company what does it.

The something that is ‘right’ might simply be the power of advertising. The effectiveness of the Doulton Wallguard system was demolished by Barry Richardson in a book titled The Remedial Treatment of Buildings published the 1980’s. They didn’t sue him and Doulton Wallguard as I recall went bust.
The system was invented by Schrijver in Holland before WW2 . Although an old idea I couldn’t find a B. B. Agrement certificate for it. Richardson’s argument as I recall was that the pores in the tubes would fill with salts over time and thus be ineffective after a few years. Today's products might have overcome this as the advertising suggests. .

Last edited:
don't think they were ceramic though dutch.jpg

don't think they were ceramic thoughView attachment 928

The ones I was talking about were round. I seem to remember a rep bringing them round a job we were damp proofing (lol) in the late 80's ?

You has to drill an approx 50mm hole into the brickwork and stick them in. Every couple of feet i think. Apparently the dampness was dried up by circulating air.

Status
Not open for further replies.