riseing damp cured for good

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

henry

Private Member
there are a few firms in my town who say riseing damp cured for good, this is done by inserting a plastic strip at dpc level. This may be a true. I have only seen this this work been done a few times by one of these firms and they take the bricks out up to the first header course then lay the plastic strip and re lay the bricks up to the header course again and pack brickwork with slate for a tight fit.
Something just tells me this packing with slate is just not right you would think a grout of some sort would be better. And also how will this stop damp on a party wall.

it is a good way to do it but very labour intensive! plus they can also clean out the cavity whilst they do it because thats what causes alot of the damp! i do dpc,s and no mater how good you inject the walls they will stay damp if the cavity is full of muck past the height of the dpc!

on random stone walls its a waste of time injecting, we either put up a stud wall in front of the damp interior wall, insulate, vaper barrier etc or tank the wall from floor to ceiling

there are a few firms in my town who say riseing damp cured for good, this is done by inserting a plastic strip at dpc level. This may be a true. I have only seen this this work been done a few times by one of these firms and they take the bricks out up to the first header course then lay the plastic strip and re lay the bricks up to the header course again and pack brickwork with slate for a tight fit.
Something just tells me this packing with slate is just not right you would think a grout of some sort would be better. And also how will this stop damp on a party wall.
Its curing something that doesnt exist so cant come back, and when they get the call they may then cure another problem for extra money which will fix it like ie vents, gutters or a leak. :)

HOLY SHITE HERE WE GO AGAIN!!zzzz

suppose it depends on what kid of party it is, if its a foam party they can get very damp indeed

Where's Slimeysteve when you need him?

Maybe we could shine a batman style (but with a big S) lamp into the sky of southern France to attract his attention........then wait a week for him to type the reply. :RpS_biggrin:

Where's Slimeysteve when you need him?

Maybe we could shine a batman style (but with a big S) lamp into the sky of southern France to attract his attention........then wait a week for him to type the reply. :RpS_biggrin:

I live in northern France and the house has been full of Londoners all evening so I haven't had time to look at this thread. But thank you for thinking of me. I'm here now and perfectly capable of typing fast and providing an immediate response ... try it.

Hahaha hows this?

Lets start with Flynnyman. There is no scientific basis for claiming that rising dampness does not exist. There are those who say it is a rare wevent but that is something different. In any event I thought this topic had been flogged to death. There is p[lenty of, or was rising damp in Batley I know I spent years there combating it. Thats why it is a rarer event these days to see it.

Lets start with Flynnyman. There is no scientific basis for claiming that rising dampness does not exist. There are those who say it is a rare wevent but that is something different. In any event I thought this topic had been flogged to death. There is p[lenty of, or was rising damp in Batley I know I spent years there combating it. Thats why it is a rarer event these days to see it.

Yes, well done. Your statue has been commissioned and is being sculpted probably as we type. The Imam's have decreed that it be placed under the upsidedown bats on Hick lane, I hope this pleases you. A DPC will be placed under each foot just incase.

Yes, well done. Your statue has been commissioned and is being sculpted probably as we type. The Imam's have decreed that it be placed under the upsidedown bats on Hick lane, I hope this pleases you. A DPC will be placed under each foot just incase.

Pretty good response for this time of night but a little slow in thinking it up

Steve my question was, What possible damage or not does this kind of damp course do to a property. Where Iam parts of the town are really bad to moisture problems and also parts of the town are called east marsh west marsh the clue is in the names. And further more why do we build modern houses with a dpc strip fitted if there is no riseing damp.

Eddie it;s just of late I am doing a lot of dpc works so more aware of this problem and why these houses have moisture problems in certain area's of the property.

The majority of jobs ive been to look at which are shown signs of damp very rarely have i need to inject a new DPC. its normally pentrating damp or lately people who have had cavity wall insulation installed are seeing damp type problems. but if you have salts in the plaster it needs replacing anyway..IMO

Steve my question was, What possible damage or not does this kind of damp course do to a property. Where Iam parts of the town are really bad to moisture problems and also parts of the town are called east marsh west marsh the clue is in the names. And further more why do we build modern houses with a dpc strip fitted if there is no riseing damp.

If it’s well-executed by a decent brickie it might be visually acceptable but the structural integrity is weakened. But short of an earthquake where the vibration might move the house along the slip-plane created by the plastic dpc of I can’t think of a practical structural reason to argue against. The house will drop a little (as when underpinning) due to packing but adjusting door frames and doors eliminates the problem of doors not closing.

And to further the point more, why do we fix the stop bead above the dpc?

Where I live they don't use stop bead and the finished render runs down to the ground. The house I live in, 1974 construction has no dpc, no stop bead and no signs of rising dampness.

Thats a good point Henry can the people who say rising damp does not exist offer an explanation pls?

Graham Coleman run a test over several years showing rising dampness in brickwork.
One reason to pursue this issue is for the apprentices who look at this site. I can see them going to building college and telling the lecturer that rising damp doesn't exist cos they has read the same on the plasterers forum.

Eddie it;s just of late I am doing a lot of dpc works so more aware of this problem and why these houses have moisture problems in certain area's of the property.

Every house is different. A large proportion of what is said to be rising dampness is caused by other problems. Salesmen posing as fair inspectors see a building defect and diagnose a problem which requires a damp proof course which by chance their company installs. Diagnosing rising dampness when it is not there is probably a criminal offence under the Theft |Act.

I used this system 35 years ago on a windmill on Kent which was being converted to a habital dwelling but we used slate not DPC not a problem with it as long it is done properly and dry packed securely with the right tools.

I've done 6/7 diagnosed rising damp lol jobs since the last thread. I'm happy to say all the houses recovered and are now nice and dry.
Only one was injected.
One lady INSISTED on injection despite being told it was not needed.

The extra £450 I charged her came in very handy for Paddys week :razz:

Well its a bit like quantitative easing for you eddie rising damp injection print your money :RpS_thumbsup:

Lol, yeah, Henry. The same lady asked me would I be able to lower the water table.
Some muppet said he could do it for a grand :RpS_lol:

To true Henry.
They get fed this 25 yr guarantee thing and think they've got some comeback.

What gets me is when you pull up outside a house and see the 'bullet' holes on the plinth and ask why they don't they get the company that injected it to come back.

Pound to a penny they've gone bust, but they still would prefer it injected again with another piece of worthless paper. :RpS_cursing:

I do a bit of subbing for a damp company been in the game for 30 years .They done over 160 surveys in the last 6 weeks ,so damp is out there in some form ,but most is as all you guys say is not rising ,and to hear the surveyor say on the phone today "its condensation " thats why they are still here today ,and yes they deal with call backs .Don,t tar them all with the same brush

Where I live they don't use stop bead and the finished render runs down to the ground. The house I live in, 1974 construction has no dpc, no stop bead and no signs of rising dampness.

Well this sounds like a prime candidate for rising damp. Why isn't there any rising damp? no rain?

Status
Not open for further replies.