Retirement

Members online

As the long standing members will know I'm coming up to 38...2 years off retirement age. Just wondering if anyone is still plastering over 40 and how it feels...because ever since 36 I get funny aches and pains everyday, some the same some new...and I think I'm getting slower and more expensive.

Has anyone managed to (or plan to) do anything else when they hit 40?
Are you having a laugh ??

• Funny
Reactions: 000
Not VAT registered and all are paid via CIS.
Ok … NOT YOU @ your customer pays them direct @say £250 + 20% on top for you = £300 / then @ they give you back the 20% / You then pay 20% on what they have to give you back …How you taking the 20% thru CIS when customers pay subbies .

Ok … NOT YOU @ your customer pays them direct @say £250 + 20% on top for you = £300 / then @ they give you back the 20% / You then pay 20% on what they have to give you back …How you taking the 20% thru CIS when customers pay subbies .

Ground work for ‘ the man ‘ .
Good boy

What he said

CIS doesn't apply if subbies are paid direct by customers

CIS doesn't apply if subbies are paid direct by customers
I am going from YOUR info posted :You said deductions through CIS .

The whole Fuxin scenario sounds like your talking shite(tripping your self up all over )
&\or on the the fiddle … THE END .

The whole Fuxin scenario sounds like your talking shite(tripping your self up all over )
No that doesn't sound at all like FreeD. No not at all.

If you pass contact details to a customer of someone in the trade and they contact them direct, employ them direct, and pay them directly then CIS does not apply.

As the long standing members will know I'm coming up to 38...2 years off retirement age. Just wondering if anyone is still plastering over 40 and how it feels...because ever since 36 I get funny aches and pains everyday, some the same some new...and I think I'm getting slower and more expensive.

Has anyone managed to (or plan to) do anything else when they hit 40?
I’m 53 been at it now going on 34 years and being totally honest I don’t get through any day with out pain killers and anti inflammatorys definitely the body is breaking down pain is just an every day thing now you just get used to it

I’m 53 been at it now going on 34 years and being totally honest I don’t get through any day with out pain killers and anti inflammatorys definitely the body is breaking down pain is just an every day thing now you just get used to it
Painkillers really aren't a long-term solution mate.

Painkillers really aren't a long-term solution mate.
No there not, but unfortunately sometimes you need them.
After 40 year's my shoulders are f**k*d. I've had injections in both shoulders and prescriptions for naproxen but it's been a losing battle and I'm throwing in the to(r)wel.
Finish up in December and that's it no more.
Do feel a bit sad that the decision has been taken out of my hands. Apart from my shoulders there's nothing to stop me going on.

After 40 year's my shoulders are f**k*d. I've had injections in both shoulders and prescriptions for naproxen but it's been a losing battle and I'm throwing in the to(r)wel.
Do feel a bit sad that the decision has been taken out of my hands. Apart from my shoulders there's nothing to stop me going on.
Can you let us know the exact date you're stopping plastering mate? Obviously your membership will cease forthwith, @ChrispyUK won't stand for any non spreads on here you know.

Snap,doing it over 40 years,went part time last year. But over last 6 weeks both shoulders are done. Tried naproxen but doesn't really help. Was thinking of going to doctors but know this is a common plasterers condition in later years. Thought I would get another few years but like you don't think I will manage.
Good luck.

• Damaging the rotator cuff, frozen shoulder and arthritis are all shoulder injuries that can be experienced by plasterers. Anything that’s a repetitive action is going to place stress on the shoulder
  • A lot of injuries caused are when skimming ceilings, over time the joints start to wear when you twist and move in peculiar ways and the pressure is always on to get the ceiling finished
  • Driving a long distance sitting in the same position and then moving suddenly and twisting as you begin plastering can cause injury
  • With an ‘itus’ or inflammation it’s about resting it
  • Plasterers can suffer from Plantar fasciitis because of incorrect footwear and being up and down ladders
  • Plastering is a hard job, you need to keep fit and get into a routine of doing something every day

• Damaging the rotator cuff, frozen shoulder and arthritis are all shoulder injuries that can be experienced by plasterers. Anything that’s a repetitive action is going to place stress on the shoulder
  • A lot of injuries caused are when skimming ceilings, over time the joints start to wear when you twist and move in peculiar ways and the pressure is always on to get the ceiling finished
  • Driving a long distance sitting in the same position and then moving suddenly and twisting as you begin plastering can cause injury
  • With an ‘itus’ or inflammation it’s about resting it
  • Plasterers can suffer from Plantar fasciitis because of incorrect footwear and being up and down ladders
  • Plastering is a hard job, you need to keep fit and get into a routine of doing something every day
I'm absolutely convinced that the prevalence of larger trowels has exacerbated many of the injuries suffered by plasterers.
When it comes to ceilings the end of fully decked rooms was only going to lead to a worse outcome for our bodies as well.

I'm absolutely convinced that the prevalence of larger trowels has exacerbated many of the injuries suffered by plasterers.
When it comes to ceilings the end of fully decked rooms was only going to lead to a worse outcome for our bodies as well.
Done repetitive sheeting of ceilings for years when I started,heavy lifting,,,50 kg bags on shoulders,probably all adds up.
I'm actually quite fit otherwise, occasional issue with back. It's fully decked system i still use. Some lads to large ceilings off steps,don't know how they manage it.
Some knock plastering,it's not a easy life.
But I have enjoyed majority of it.

Done repetitive sheeting of ceilings for years when I started,heavy lifting,,,50 kg bags on shoulders,probably all adds up.
I'm actually quite fit otherwise, occasional issue with back. It's fully decked system i still use. Some lads to large ceilings off steps,don't know how they manage it.
Some knock plastering,it's not a easy life.
But I have enjoyed majority of it.

Personally I prefer a tower on wheels for big lids...just get the lab to push you around like in a shopping trolley.

Decking out is a waste of time and ballache transporting all the trestles, boards atc not smart

Every plasterer I have seen who has a big one leaves a sh*t finish

Personally I prefer a tower on wheels for big lids...just get the lab to push you around like in a shopping trolley.

Decking out is a waste of time and ballache transporting all the trestles, boards atc not smart
It's what I served my time with, I have different board lengths for room sizes,don't have a lab, not had for 20 years. Each to their own.

Snap,doing it over 40 years,went part time last year. But over last 6 weeks both shoulders are done. Tried naproxen but doesn't really help. Was thinking of going to doctors but know this is a common plasterers condition in later years. Thought I would get another few years but like you don't think I will manage.
Good luck.
Thanks mate
I had hydrocortisone injections in both shoulders and physiotherapy and that did help a bit but once it's f**k*d it's f**k*d if you know what I mean.

It's what I served my time with, I have different board lengths for room sizes,don't have a lab, not had for 20 years. Each to their own.
Used stilts 99% and find it way easier than a tower on wheels ....find that a right stress and stilts you're always getting a better finish imo

Also find on stilts set at the right height it takes alot of strain off the shoulder as well