Retire

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah maybe worth mentioning the new pensions rules as it would affect a lot of us.

If you didnt pay your stamp , worked abroad , worked cash etc etc
You now have to build a pension to claim the basic state, you need to contact them and see how many years you have and how many you need to accumulate , you have then the option to top up if your behind.

Once the current run of elderly voters die off , we are all screwed , be food banks and misery :)
At the very least check on where you are at with the basic state one ( if there will be such a thing)

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/overview

No pension is my lot so far :(
I know so many tradesmen got screwed with the pension scheme years ago , paying a fortune in and lost the lot.

On age of retirement , i know a guy was plastering into his 80's !

Suppose its down to how you think of it

retire and work PT in B and Q , work 25 hours at min wage taking crap off all sorts of managers and customers , clocking in and out etc for the princely sum of £150

or skim a wall or two at your own pace with no hassle £200

ill work till im 80 too if my body allows me
Iv z I'd like a steady wage when I'm 50 but the thought of young arrigant lad throwing his weight about in b q or somewhere telling u what to do I think I mite stick to the tools til I drop lol

Clemo,
If you don't mind my advice.
I fecking hated plastering too , despised it to be brutally honest.
So I went and did something else for around 8 years.

I dunno what happened but i started taking a few more jobs over the past year and kinda putting it out there that im doing a bit more.

I work part time at a few things that i really enjoy so I have enough money for the day to day things.

So in regards plastering , domestic and small builders. I really enjoy it now , I respect how much i have learnt over the years and i find the clients now have more interest in different methods and materials etc so are great to work with.
I work to my own schedule and pace to suit each job with the aim being quality and no stress esp in domestic.
Turn down anything that instinct tells me is hassle , if someone phones and says "reckon there is 2 days in it" i dont even bother going to look at it , i decide how long each job takes when i look at it , not the client, im the expert!

Suppose positive thinking , not all jobs work out the way you think etc , but when its not going great i think of how lucky i am to be good at a skilled trade and get good money for it , how im healthy and well and try to put some of the money into holidays etc so im having things to look forward to.

I worked in a very different environment and its no fun either for various reasons!

Main thing that worked for me was to get off the hamster wheel , downsized my home , scrapped every DD and only took the ones i really needed, all that sort of thing to figure out what i really needed and not what i thought i wanted etc.
Weekend millionaires we are and it gives a false sense of money :)

I know from your posts your a good plasterer and there aren't too many of them left in Ireland, pick your work and maybe take a part time handy job to get a bit of steady cash but once the work starts rolling in you wont need it!

One thing for sure , its not a dress rehearsal , only one shot at life and no point wasting it doing something you dont like!

Your right john. Its just me losing the head lol. It's just lads not paying up. Out of the last 5 jobs i did I've only been payd for 2 of them. All different people. Its hard enough doing the work. There is 1 guy it's only €200 but did the small job over 3 months ago to give him a dig out he is a plasterer. He won't pick up the phone when I call. So i called to his house no one there. I got my business card and nail it to the door of his house. It was a nice door to. I get a text off him 2 hours after I nailed the business card To his door. Text saying can u give me 2 weeks to get u the money am broke. Another bloke owes me 2000 at least he answers the phone and lies to me lol I know ill get the €2000 off him he is just a late payer. I think I just got a bad run of it lately. Might go back to work tomorrow.

Your right john. Its just me losing the head lol. It's just lads not paying up. Out of the last 5 jobs i did I've only been payd for 2 of them. All different people. Its hard enough doing the work. There is 1 guy it's only €200 but did the small job over 3 months ago to give him a dig out he is a plasterer. He won't pick up the phone when I call. So i called to his house no one there. I got my business card and nail it to the door of his house. It was a nice door to. I get a text off him 2 hours after I nailed the business card To his door. Text saying can u give me 2 weeks to get u the money am broke. Another bloke owes me 2000 at least he answers the phone and lies to me lol I know ill get the €2000 off him he is just a late payer. I think I just got a bad run of it lately. Might go back to work tomorrow.
Hate it when you get a run of it like that.
Chin up mate. Keep at it, it'll turn around.

I hear ya there , did a job a few months ago, knew from i stepped on it there would be hassle.
only £700 on it and the C++T started on the last day looking to knock money off ! Usual money grabbing builder , still not paid!
Worst part of the job , start court proceedings and forget about it.
Hope it picks up for ya , nice few handy ones wouldnt go amiss!

y not m8 it hard graft and u come to a certain point in life that u think I should slow down just take it easy enjoy the work enjoy life to .Thers more to life than work and money.Thers a saying in welsh don't know if u say it what the point of winning the world and in the end to loose your health an soul .In other words f**k your self with killing your self

when I was younger I smashed the house bashing on site and earned a lot of money, I was young so blew a lot of money too but invested enough to take care of my future, I know I won't have to be on the tools when i'm 50-60 years old so now i'm happy ticking over. I enjoy rendering and I even if I go on site I can earn more in a couple of days than I could house bashing all week so i'm working smarter instead of harder.

when I was younger I smashed the house bashing on site and earned a lot of money, I was young so blew a lot of money too but invested enough to take care of my future, I know I won't have to be on the tools when i'm 50-60 years old so now i'm happy ticking over. I enjoy rendering and I even if I go on site I can earn more in a couple of days than I could house bashing all week so i'm working smarter instead of harder.
That the way I enjoy the work when I'm not killing my self take pride in th work just plenty to pay the bills to make money in this game uv got to graft hard and should b done in your 20s im 40 this year iv got a house to sell in 10 years I'm not wishing my life away but I'm looking forward to the 3 4 day a week and choosing the handi jobs if my body will b up for it

I bust my balls 5 /6 days a week I would pack being a builder in no problem ...

I buy / refurb then let houses ,part time usually buy one, every two years ,& end up doing them on a weekend ....
I'm pig sick of busting.,my balls for customers .i reckon I've got 20 yrs left grafting if I'm lucky lol .My plan is to develop full time

I honestly think that if you can prove you've worked in the building game all your life you should be able to retire at the same age as firemen, policeman etc.I'm 55 and I can't wait to retire.Maybe if I got a few more private jobs it wouldn't be so bad but site work is hard graft now that's without all the crap with hs.

My dads 65 and still at it.
He must b fit m8 good for him loves his job
I bust my balls 5 /6 days a week I would pack being a builder in no problem ...

I buy / refurb then let houses ,part time usually buy one, every two years ,& end up doing them on a weekend ....
I'm pig sick of busting.,my balls for customers .i reckon I've got 20 yrs left grafting if I'm lucky lol .My plan is to develop full time
nice one m8 that the way to go I think I mite stick to the one iv got sell in 10 years il b 50 enjoy the money and invest in a mother one for when I'm 70 lol

This is a bit of a depressing thread but a good reminder of how we simply have to plan ahead and get finances in order early in this job. Not many can keep up with the demands of this job 5 days a week into their 50's and 60's.

I honestly think that if you can prove you've worked in the building game all your life you should be able to retire at the same age as firemen, policeman etc.I'm 55 and I can't wait to retire.Maybe if I got a few more private jobs it wouldn't be so bad but site work is hard graft now that's without all the crap with hs.[/
This is a bit of a depressing thread but a good reminder of how we simply have to plan ahead and get finances in order early in this job. Not many can keep up with the demands of this job 5 days a week into their 50's and 60's.
Yes m8 it is bit deppressing lol but that life I'm 40 this year but I feel much better after c lads in ther 60 70 and one gentlemen
80 still at it they must love the job and fair play to them I think u just pase your self when u get older and have bout 5holiday a year if u can afford it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.