Retarder for next day scrapes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, everyone is always asking about accelerator to prolong same day scrapes this time of year. But what about adding retarder to Mono so that it's more workable for next day scrapes?
It wouldn't matter when using Parex or other slow setters but Weber can be murder to scrape off next day unless it's absolutely freezing, in which case you probably shouldn't be applying it anyway.
Is there an equivalent of the wickes accelerator recommended by @Rigsby that is suitable for Mono even if it's not the official product?
Cheers

You've kind of answered your own question. It's either to Cold so shouldn't be done or if you do it at the right time it will be good to scrape next morning.

Because as he said if it's to cold it's the wrong conditions anyway and if you get the timing right it should be fine.
I see the point in an accelerator to achieve same day scrape I don't see the point in a retarder.
I know ever build do a retarder for cement to answer the question so that could be used I assume.
There accelerator is pretty good, I use that when wickes are out of stock.

The Retarder from Parex is not quite the retarder we think it is.

If you look it up on the Parex website it re***ds the 'open' time but not the initial set.

I have only used Weber without an accelerator in cold conditions where it is under 10c, late as in the afternoon and back there before sunrise to scrape back. The others are more forgiving for overnight.

There's never retarder needed,
Tip 1, if it's new blockwork put a primer on to kill the suction.
Tip 2 if it's domestic,get them to leave the heating off overnight to stop any heat on the wall.
Tip 3 give the rendered wall a hose down with water before you leave site,just a gentle setting it will hold back the set, from fully skinning over for a while longer.
Works with pral m in my experience.
Or go the other way accelerate it for a same day even in December you get a good 6 hours of daylight.

I always switch to Parex this time of year on my own jobs as I find it nice to scratch up next day but we do a bit of subbying and they give us weber all year round. There's not really enough money in the job to be using primers etc because I'd have to supply. Also it might get complicated with specs on the big sites and they might not let us use them, but out of interest which primer would you suggest?
I've tried wetting the walls down, and even on new properties with no heating on I just find weber a nightmare the next day.
I think adding a retarder would simply make weber a nicer render to use through winter, but I just need to find a suitable one.

Andy, whatever you do, dont use Microgobetis to kill the suction if your using Weber pral as your crossing manufacturers and the render gods will never forgive you.

I know of a lad using free flow to slow down Weber for next day, says it works well too

Trouble with FreeFlow is although you are getting a retarder you are also adding plastisizer and a waterproofer.

May be upsetting the balance of chemicals all ready in pral m.

Anyone know of an accelerator on its own?

I have located one but it has a plastisizer in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.