Rendering over plastic mesh?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiwakeblue

I was advised i needed the plastic mesh on my house before it could be rendered, we had it done and now almost all of the render is cracking. Could this be the mesh? Or is it something else?

The cracks vary in size but they are all over the house.

Thanks for any advice you can give...we are seriously worried.

It is a very slow process and needs good experience, three coat work , with 7 days between each coat whilst keeping it damp, fibres would help too in the scratch, tell us the process that was used, I have done it successfully a few times but not done a lot of it..
ps the mesh needs to be well fixed to help with rigidness

not quite sure what you mean, do you mean they rendererd incorporating the mesh within the render ? what render was used? condition of substrate etc way too many variables, can you post some pictures

Thanks guys, I'll stick some photos on tomorrow. The mesh was well fixed every 12" with stainless steel bolts. Then they did the scratch coat on top of this and once set did the top coat. They did it last October/November so the weather was terrible, but they didn't work if it was too cold. It started cracking within a few weeks and has just got worse.

So it was an embedded mesh ,that makes more sense, what way did they do it. I will bow out now, not my area really ..

:-0................You mean your not Copy & Pasteing anymore?...........................................:RpS_crying:

Hello there could be a number of reasons it's cracked and blown eg if the background was
dry and dusty , if they applied it to thick , if it dried out to quick I could go on best bet is to have it taken off and start again patched render never looks wright no matter how good you are at plastering .

what is the background ? Sounds like it could be timber with a sand n cement render and some complimentary mesh thrown in ? Maybe im wrong ?

steel bolts to fit scrim:RpS_scared: - maybe you mean insulation fixings like a mushroom plug sometimes metal ?

was it a renderer/plasterer who did the job ?

from what i can make out its either that **** basement stuff that is like big plastic bubblewrap that isnt worth a wank going over and always caused problems or someone has fixed fibremesh onto the background and then just lashed it on. either one of those are borderline hackoff job. cant think what else it could be? theres no other mesh that is plastic as far as i know. and if fibremesh has been put on first, wear a hardhat when entering and leaving the building

Last edited:
mesh is a good material in rendering adds strength works like a big roll of scrim, i don't understand held in place with bolts ?? if there's nothing behind the mesh there will be movement there needs to be a thin coat applied push on the mesh an then scratch coat on top, good stuff around loose bricks or lintel where it tends to crack if it's used correct

K rend u put mesh in the 1st coat troweled flat in while wet inc the plastic mesh beads they should of used. If the mesh was bolted on then k rended over that's 3 coats hanging off the plastic mesh POP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.