Rendering Over Painted SOLID Render.

Members online

roryston

Evening guys been a while, hope your all behaving!

I'm in a bit of a predicament.

A bloke in doing a lot of work for has asked me to render a sort of porch/vault/doorway in a basement.

Its 4 walls on already painted render, its hard as hell but isn't flat or a "nice finish" he wants it all squared up and float finished.

Now what are the options for me getting a scratch coat over this without it going hollow ? The paint is solid also.

I always hack off to brickwork very rarely do I go on painted surfaces as in my opinion you cant guarantee it, I have rib lathed a lower part of a house but didn't trust the hollow sound, I've also 1 part sbr to a scoop of cement slurred some areas, It worked but I haven't seen the job in a few years so don't know how its holding up!!

What do you guys advise? Its not a massive area but id like it to stay there!

Yeah agree with Bobby, that's what we do also. Parex is good s**t, whack a coloured thin coat finish on it and job done.

If you want to use s and c sbr and cement mix and go into it wet, but I'd rather trust the parex.

Not the correct way I know but everbuild render grip rolled on then tight coat of weber ocr might be cheaper option.

Wouldn't bother with the base coat, whack a coat of micro over the paint then OCR or Mono. I've done it a few times never had a problems. These render companies over specify to make more profit.

Yeah agree with Bobby, that's what we do also. Parex is good s**t, whack a coloured thin coat finish on it and job done.

If you want to use s and c sbr and cement mix and go into it wet, but I'd rather trust the parex.

Its only as good as the paint though...

Wouldn't bother with the base coat, whack a coat of micro over the paint then OCR or Mono. I've done it a few times never had a problems. These render companies over specify to make more profit.
I done this on my own garden wall but with mono 3 years ago and it's still sound, paint was flaky as well.
I wouldn't do it for a paying customer though.

Not the correct way I know but everbuild render grip rolled on then tight coat of weber ocr might be cheaper option.
rendagrip is more for shuttererd concrete and unstable surfaces - dont think they approve it going on paint -though may be wrong