Rendering onto thermalite blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old man use to do grano,use to lay the grano in the morning and go back later in the evening to trowel it up to finish it

Assuming the blocks were pretty clean I wouldn't bother with any of the above ******* about! Two coats of the right strength gear with added fibres job done. Done miles of rendering on lightweight blocks without issue.

First time I rendered thermalites would be 30 years ago Andy and I wasn't aware of fibres being available then.
I've always used a splatter-dash coat if I've thought it necessary and I've never had any issues either :RpS_wink:

Years ago when architect used to specify mix ratios etc, I (or the subby I was working for) would get the architect to sign a disclaimer saying we had queried advice and recommended scudding.
after a lot of render failures the architects seemed to start listening :RpS_biggrin:

Years ago when architect used to specify mix ratios etc, I (or the subby I was working for) would get the architect to sign a disclaimer saying we had queried advice and recommended scudding.
after a lot of render failures the architects seemed to start listening :RpS_biggrin:
Some job to get the to sign anything these days.

I'm no authority on rendering but when I have, I've done a slurry coat (sbr/water/cement), allowed to dry. Then, I lay the scratch onto a second, lighter coat of slurry whilst tacky....gives the key. I suppose this is the same principle of skimming onto bent walls with a fair amount of pull.....

Maybe why im not the most effective and **** at laying large areas alone, but seems to work ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.