Rendering onto block and steel beam

Members online

berneslai

I'm about to externally render part of a modern property that is largely block work but has a small area of epoxy-painted steel beams that I need to cover. This is a brand new property so the painted metal surface is perfect and the area to be rendered that is metal is only approx 2m x 2m.

If I have no concerns about the condition of the substrate, am I OK going ahead and using something like rendagrip? Or do I need to somehow treat the paint first to generate a better mechanical key?

As per owls comment.... then mesh across the junction between the boarded element and block work.

The metal may expand and contract due to hot and cold conditions, where block work will not...

If the steel is large or long, better to leave a gap as a movement joint between the elements

Also, if the steel has been painted with an intumescent paint, there needs to be a gap between the steel and the back of the board to allow for the intumescent coating to activate in the event of a fire.....

Thanks guys. I've been asked not to use board due as they don't want the render to protrude too far (I assume to save cost) but I think I can get away with 6mm.

Your own semen mate ?
seamen GIF