rendering nobache

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufweder

been plastering 20 years every now and again a rendering job rears its uglyhead i live in yorkshire not that much call for it here.anyway tried it a few differnt ways eg thin scratch two really thin top coats ,then scratch one thick and derby it off then sponge it im either chasing me arse to finish it or stood twiddling my thumbs.never seem to be happy with it.like i say i hate rendering but not alot seem to want to do it .ican plaster with my eyes shut but everytime i take on a rendering job 2 hours in i wish i had never would have started.any help please

Think that's plastering in general auFweder the scratch coat doesn't want to be thinner than the top coat mate the rest is probably the weather conditions

Do you want to know why they do not do rendering ?? I will tell You they fecking dont no how to .

dont know were you are in yorkshire, but theres a lot of rendering about in the north and west granted not the dales tho.i make a living from mainly rendering of all different types.

if your sand cement rendering its about controling the suction to suit and getting your correct mix ratios
as spunky says the scratch doesnt want to be thnner than the top coat nor the mix weaker than the top. if your using additives ie correct ratios of water proofer or sbr or lime or polymer fibres you cant really go so far wrong.

admitingly tho i use very little sand and cement on projects these days.

cheers mate when i said not much call for it i meant i lived in devon for a while where most buildings r rendered where as here they r mainly brick.u obviosly know what your talking about its just i class myself as a very good plasterer but sick of looking at my finished rendering jobs and thinking that looks s**t especially when the sun catches it.my ratios r correct im aware of weather conditions .but when u apply your gear do u treat it as say u would browning ie thick then derby it off or several thin lears ie free hand.when i said thin layers i dont mean letting each layer set i mean keep laying on until u get to desired thickness.

i dont mean this as an offence mate but it sounds like mabey you should stop doing rendering, if you dnt like the look of ya own work............well wat im getting at is if you wouldnt want to put it on ya own house is it fair to put it on someone elses somone who could have possible saved up for a long time to be able to afford it.
my suggestion would be to sweet talk owls into letting you come down to some of his jobs and learn how he does it, IF he will agree to it (sorry owls it was just an idea).
or find someone else who can render and everytime you take on a rendering job learn from then untill you feel your finish is top notch, then you can do it on ya own again.
AGAIN i mean no offence by this post its just and idea from reading your posts

The sun will do that to any finish even internal plastering hold a halogen against any wall you think looks good and it will tell you a different story and thats all the sun is doing but if your finish is looking rough on your render then its prob a case of trying to finish too soon plus theres always tyrolean.

you made me feel terrible now making out some poor family handing their life savings over to me for a bad job while i speed off down the road laughing. its not like that i never had comeback on any job im a bit of a perfectionist and like to be as good a renderer as i am the rest of the trade thught somebody mite be able to give me some pointers to acheive this with skimming over the years i got my routine perfect but wi rendering not done that much so dont get that chance to perfect it

i diddnt mean to make you feel bad mate i was just reading the post and the impresion i got was you wassnt happy so i naturally put my self in the clients position.
i was just saying if your not happy mabey find someone who is s**t hot at rendering and work with them for a while to get the work tippy top, rendering is more of an art than plastering so it takes alot more practice,a nd thats all your problem is, just practice, thats all, so i was giveing you a tip......get practice in with someone who is shite hot.
there was no offence ment by my post mate, it was just an idea:RpS_thumbup:

same principal as any floating give it two passes rule and fill,get your scratch flat as possible with no slacks.
like any other plastering you get a feel for the depth your putting on with experience.

i bloody dnt haha i like internal rendering but hate external, dnt know why i just do

u dint make me feel bad only kidding i appreciate your comments u have also got to understand its not easy to ask for advice amongst other plasterers i know as its usually them who come to me for work .thats why im on this site chheers tho mate

no worries mate sorry again for any offence it wassnt ment, i can render quite well but im proberly not as good as quite a few on here, in my mind everyone has a weak point and mine is external rendering, as i said i can do it to a high standard but if i can i always try to get the price for a mate of mine then i go with him and learn more off him as we go, know one will ever know everything and everyone is always learning form what i can see, so even though my rendering work is good enough not to worry it cannot hurt to get it better can it:RpS_thumbup:.
good luck with it though mate hpe you get the results your looking for

The bulk of my work is rendering, although it's predominantly roughcast work and k-rend.

Everyone is different in regards to rendering and ratios etc especially when it comes to sand and cement especially with the finish aspect for instance on a smooth render cannot bare seeing a sponge getting used just a personal bug bear.

Status
Not open for further replies.