rendering indoors

Status
Not open for further replies.
the wall is bent like a banana so need to lay it on quite thick hard wall only around 10 11 mm thickness. was thinking sand and cement but just not too sur on the correct mix for breeze blocks

I think he means you have loads of time using sand and cement meaning its got no chemical set time like hardwall but i could be wrong , get down with lingo mate i understand oasis just dandy. safe.

Plus sc is harder to rule off , hardwall is alot easier the only time i would use sc is on external walls without cavitys or stonework then i would prob only use it as a scratch then float it over with dry coat or limelight. bit more pricey but most people would rather spend a little more on materials if you give them the choice.

Sand /cement and a shovel full of lime is the perfect material for just about any job as long has you can handle it , ok it's a bit heavier to put on but the benefits far out way hardwall or other lightweight plasters. It is the perfect renovating material on older property's susceptible to damp etc

bodplasterer said:
Plus sc is harder to rule off , hardwall is alot easier the only time i would use sc is on external walls without cavitys or stonework then i would prob only use it as a scratch then float it over with dry coat or limelight. bit more pricey but most people would rather spend a little more on materials if you give them the choice.

I'd rather work and rule S&C than hardwall any day of the week, even if I'm hodding my own gear upstairs!

webber do a product where spraying it inside a new lidl store its ocr 3 gives you loads of time where spraying 2 120 m2 hits with it loads of time to rub up

Ive used a lot of OCR 3 its the same as 6:1:1 good stuff, Never have any trouble ruling it either, wooden rule for mortar i find works best.

warriorupnorth said:
Sand /cement and a shovel full of lime is the perfect material for just about any job as long has you can handle it , ok it's a bit heavier to put on but the benefits far out way hardwall or other lightweight plasters. It is the perfect renovating material on older property's susceptible to damp etc
essexandy said:
bodplasterer said:

I'd rather work and rule S&C than hardwall any day of the week, even if I'm hodding my own gear upstairs!
as above

sorry i was trying to say that it will take alot longer to use S&C as it would be a 2-3 coat to dub out if thats what it needs.

How often do you get a new build spec with s/c nowadays? none because its crap and gets random shinkage cracks a few months down the line.

bodplasterer said:
How often do you get a new build spec with s/c nowadays? none because its crap and gets random shinkage cracks a few months down the line.

Over the last decade I have done over 500 houses for one developer all with S&C with no problems. Last week got the go ahead from another builder for 14 houses and another 9 to follow all with S&C, these houses were due to be dot & dab until the contract manager heard I was interested in taking them on. I also have another 4 houses priced and 29 more still to price, all S&C.

andy when you s+c a whole site do mix on site or do you ( or can you ) get the render pre mixed like the brickies do with their compo

Always mixed on site Carlos, it's just so much cheaper to supply that way. £3 for a bag of cement, £12 for a ton of sand and a while ago B&Q were knocking out Feb plasticiser for £2 a bucket so I bought 20.

sorry to sound like a t**t but have never worked on jobs of the size you talk of. so what do you have a gang of labs mixing and barrowing the gear around for you?

£12 a ton thats bloody cheap were paying around £30 and the sand we are getting is far too fine nowa days, it used to be a bit of grit in it.

there is ment to be a bit of grit in plastering sand I thought to help binde it all together to give a hard render. the sand I used to use aways had grit in it but the sand I am getting now is real fine. It does make lovley gear really smooth and rubs up a treat.

carlos said:
sorry to sound like a t**t but have never worked on jobs of the size you talk of. so what do you have a gang of labs mixing and barrowing the gear around for you?

Each house is done by either a 1:1 or 2:1 gang depending on how they like to work and each gang wil have a cement mixer to mix their own muck, basicly the same system whether there are 100 houses or a one off to do.
I do buy the sand 20 ton at a time Bod

I think this is why it tends to crack alot more, i done my front garden walls early this year and i layed them on all together only took 2 mixes so it was a small job, but the front of the wall has cracked and gone hollow but the rest is solid and spot on ??? i just cant get my head round why this is, i used all the same mix 5-1 scratch 6-1-1 top and did it all the same time the only thing i can think it is the vibrations from traffic as it is right on the steet.

Status
Not open for further replies.