Render over Pebbledash

Members online

Shamrock78

Hi Folks,
Just wondering if it is possible to render over Pebbledash without having to remove the Pebbledash. Th pebbles are quite small and they are not coming loose unless you use a bit of force. It is on a bungalow and all the walls are sound with only a few hairline cracks around windows. I'm thinking a smooth coloured finish but I don't know the best product to use.

Attachments

• 20200417_160627.jpg
    20200417_160627.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 499
  • 20200417_160618.jpg
    20200417_160618.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 1,040
Yes

As long as its sound and well keyed to the substrate.
The dashing is a fantastic key to go over.

What look are you going for, coloured render, tradition s + c etc......?

Yes

As long as its sound and well keyed to the substrate.
The dashing is a fantastic key to go over.

What look are you going for, coloured render, tradition s + c etc......?
Hi Bobski,
I think a coloured render, or S+C and then paint it. I've only ever done S+C in the past but now there are so many products to choose from. Yes its all sound with no movement.

Hi Folks,
Just wondering if it is possible to render over Pebbledash without having to remove the Pebbledash. Th pebbles are quite small and they are not coming loose unless you use a bit of force. It is on a bungalow and all the walls are sound with only a few hairline cracks around windows. I'm thinking a smooth coloured finish but I don't know the best product to use.
No problem just wash the walls

I'd 5 + 1 sbr and see how it reacts.
Stones will obviously be non porous.
Sometimes the muck can suck, if the glue sits nice for a little while, good to go.

No
You already have cracks

Can by a breaker from toolstation
£120
Skip £150

real pro job

Your welcome

I’m always dubious about going over dash, the thicker the render the more chance of delamination. If you using through coloured render no manufacturer will warrant it, if your going over dash like that,through coloured renders are heavy. sand cement that’s your call I guess with it.

Give it a fungicide wash and if its a modern render then a base coat like rend aid or micrgobetis to kill and even the suction. Round my way a whole Council got a modern render and dash over the old but the base coat was fully meshed and pinned.

Dash is usually a weak top coat...wouldn't do over it...remove it back to the scratch coat...hopefully that will be solid and go over that.

I have just seen a product online that goes over existing pebbledash. Its called one coat dash cover, which can be applied by machine or hand. Maybe look into that.
Thanks for the feedback

Hi Folks,
I replastered a bungalow years back that was pebble dashed the pebbles were solid so I gave it a good pressure wash then a good scud (slurry) coat two scratch Coats the second basically just to straighten it up then a top coat float and sponge finish I pass the house quite regularly and it still looks good

Each to their own,I was always told to hack it off.It may become hollow otherwise.

Got to be sure it hasn't been dashed over the top of something else. You should go round the gaff and tap the walls with your shillelagh to make sure they're sound. :birra:

I do cast overs all the time.. products designed to go over in a one coat system then dashed with stones. Giving the original is sound of course. I don’t however go over it with a smooth finish as this needs more then one coat an could put to much strain on the original scratch coat unless you pin an mesh. Anymore then two top coats on a scratch coat is a risk but everyone to there own I guess.

Most of the dash I've removed has been a weak as f**k mix...the scratch coat is usually rock solid.