Render done with no drip/angle bead - did i get conned?

Ci3

Starting to feel like a bit like i have been 'done'… can you advise? The render on my new house has been started as a thin coat Cerecit system, the render guy has done the base coat, mesh and covered it, and is now waiting for the weather to improve to do the final spray coat of silicone… but he hasn't put in a drip bead at the bottom of the render where it meets a brick plinth, and the brick is still pretty wet on the north side of the house. My brickie says i've been done, and the renderer hasn't put in a bead to save money, he says the water will run down the render into the bricks and it will never be dry. The silicone coat will peel off if the render stays wet. Any advice? Should i get stroppy and get the renderer to put the angle bead in, which is not easy now i imagine. Did i just get coyboy-ed? The guy is small outfit, not a big company.

Many machine guys on here will give you info. Personally, I always bead on the second coat, but then again, I only hand apply sand and cement.
My advice for now is not to panic, from what you say so far it sounds like he's used all the elements of the system you chose.
Good luck.

Without seeing it maybe the the brickie left to much off a step for the render fill up to after all it is a thin coat system your having and not a sand and cement one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best thing is to put some pictures up. I have done jobs before without a drip bead but really it is correct practice to use them.

Only really not used if you are rendering down to brickwork. Can look really s**t ascetically. So some clients don't like them.

Just ask the renderer why he hasnt used beads and im sure he'll explain it and then you can decide if the explanation is valid or not or come on here and ask if the explanation sounds valid....you'll get it sorted quicker by talking to him instead of talking to everyone else

Just ask the renderer why he hasnt used beads and im sure he'll explain it and then you can decide if the explanation is valid or not or come on here and ask if the explanation sounds valid....you'll get it sorted quicker by talking to him instead of talking to everyone else

Liked

Very true

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

@ Lodan.... Wisest advice... Its weird that this post has come up now, my first job of 2017 is an outside render on a 5 bedroom new build. On that I wont be using bell-cast beads as the low third of the building is remaining brickwork, so I just have to render down to it.

Cannot really see any other reason for not using them, your best just asking the spreader as Lodan says.

I'd say you've been done - we all know beads are £500 per length so I can see why he's reluctant to use them.

Good luck.

Thanks, here are a couple of photos. The render was finished to this stage in September. It is still looking damp in places on the north wall of the house.
IMG_2943.JPG

I am wondering if i can use a different top coat, instead of the silicone version? Are things like K-rend so sensitive to damp walls?
IMG_2939.jpg

From the photos you put I would say definitely bell cast or stop beads should of been used there.

The brickwork has no lip to work down to, very strange. For the sake of what it costs and attachment of the bead I would say definitely have a word with the spreader. Also I'm not being a prick, but the finish doesn't look to great, a bit monkey TBH.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh stop saying F*****g spreader!!!!!!!!!!

Its a plasterer also referred to as a spread!!!

I repeat not a fooooookiiinnnn spreader!!!!!

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Spread, Spreader, Fixer, Tacker, Dust-Monkey, w**k*r, t**t, c**t, Knob-Ed, Dishcloth.

All used on a weekly basis where I come from.

With a drop of that height thin coat bells won't make much of a difference anyway. They don't leave much clearance to sweep water away anyway but they should still go on really.
If you're concerned about the bricks getting wet then coat them in Stormdry. Problem solved (y)

Easy problem to overcome.

Easiest is to use an angle grinder and create a drip on what you have.

The other option is to use a 4mm thin coat bed stuck on with the edge only protuding 2-3 mm. Use thin coat material and mesh, feather in.

Thanks for the advice. The renderer (is that the right term?!) said i didn't need bead, he said it was redundant. I went along with what he recommended …just started to worry about it with the render looking damp still.
Rigsby - yes i did think about running round the house with an angle grinder, its only about 45 meters round… sigh…
Rossi46 - that was my next thought - just coat the bricks.

Does the bead do anything else other than get the water off the bricks, (and look neat) does it have any other functions?

It's a neat finish and it's supposed to sweep the water away from below damp course.
He should have used 10mm bell beads. With the finish being completely water repellent, when it rains heavy a lot of water will run down the wall and the bell would help stop the water tracking underneath the bead and running down the brick.
The fact the render is still wet is nothing to do with the beading. It's just wet from rain. It'll need to be dry before the finish is applied. There should be a coloured primer before the finish too.