Render advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I`ve used ocr and think its a really good product used on the right job.although if your pricing a job and there a few more spreads pricing also(which is most jobs )you will be at least 2 quid a m2 more just on the materials.
surely there will be another firm making it fairly soon,hopefully cheaper though!!!
Totally agree with you there, priced 2 jobs last week and suggested getting you down to spray them til I started discussing cost and new it wouldn't be viable. Sprayed Ocr would have been ideal

I`ve used ocr and think its a really good product used on the right job.although if your pricing a job and there a few more spreads pricing also(which is most jobs )you will be at least 2 quid a m2 more just on the materials.
surely there will be another firm making it fairly soon,hopefully cheaper though!!!

yes its more expensive, but I sell it as a better product etc, and customers will pay it, same with mono etc, its more expensive but people seem to want this.. and I do believe its a better product than sand/cement.. not hating on s/c.. ive used a shed load of it, but its not up there with OCR... you got to sell to the customer in all plastering jobs...

Totally agree with you there, priced 2 jobs last week and suggested getting you down to spray them til I started discussing cost and new it wouldn't be viable. Sprayed Ocr would have been ideal
I pay about a fiver a bag.. thats a fiver a metre ( more if rend aid is needed ) finished same day..

Why do you think OCR is better than S&C long term John? I drive past outsides my old man worked on years before OCR was even on the market and they still look great.
Don't get me wrong I'm not anti OCR in any way other than economics on the right type of jobs.

Only because its a tad less brittle but mainly the constant mix being exactly how it should. You know its not often these days to find a proper mixed site mix. Not with all the one bottle does all add mixes out there and variants in sand plus the mistakes that can be made mixing by human error.

It should be a little more breathable too.

That said you can mix sand and cement good enough to last 100 years. Just rare to find someone who can and does or will when the bag is available.
Thats the problem

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Plasterers Forum mobile app

Disagree, its easy to mix and organise a lab to mix properly, you start the measure from the first few mixes, show the ratios of sand cement and additives, our world is not cerebrally challenging

yes he is...
Not being funny mate but you are sounding a bit like a 15yr old, I haven't ever met Andy or Essexandy and have only been in Essex 8yrs. I know that sandon plastering has a great reputation and has worked on sites for a long time probably longer than before you took your plastering course!!!
we can all claim to be hero's but let's face it there will always be a better spread than you.

Not being funny mate but you are sounding a bit like a 15yr old, I haven't ever met Andy or Essexandy and have only been in Essex 8yrs. I know that sandon plastering has a great reputation and has worked on sites for a long time probably longer than before you took your plastering course!!!
we can all claim to be hero's but let's face it there will always be a better spread than you.

fuk me mate, take his cock out ya mouth....lol.. ive done replying to essex boy anyway.. took my course u mug..lol..

so basically most agree with essexboy that s/c is better than OCR ?? oh dear.. I have been plastering 32 years and some of you must know ur talkin bollox ?? its admirable defending essexboy.. but have a listen to urselves...wtf...

Disagree, its easy to mix and organise a lab to mix properly, you start the measure from the first few mixes, show the ratios of sand cement and additives, our world is not cerebrally challenging

Thats time wasted right there j just showing that. Sand cement lime sbr fibres etc etc.

If u got a lab thays mustard on that send him to me I will take him

Thats time wasted right there j just showing that. Sand cement lime sbr fibres etc etc.

If u got a lab thays mustard on that send him to me I will take him

Have to agree a bit good labs are getting rare as hens teeth

Go back to the late 50's early s
60's when houses was plastered in sand and lime. Then came pre mixed gypsum backing plasters. Took a few years to catch on because it costs a lot more. By the 70's there was more carlite on the walls than sand & lime.

Hopefully this will happen with rendering. It will be the norm to buy pre bagged but at the moment there are hard up rendering companies out there undercutting the more up to date more modern renderers by using the old methods. But if you have a cheap enough and fit enough lab then can we blame em? I have got to the point now that I am not giving customers a choice but pricing for the modern methods or find someone else.

I have a competitor near me who still works off towers, hacks back to scratch coat, pva,s and uses 50/50 washed and building with hardly any beads. A bit cheaper than me but makes a hell of a lot more ££££ than I do. How he gets away with H&S i don't know! With any luck he will fall of his staging board and breaks his legs in 6 places.

Go back to the late 50's early s
60's when houses was plastered in sand and lime. Then came pre mixed gypsum backing plasters. Took a few years to catch on because it costs a lot more. By the 70's there was more carlite on the walls than sand & lime.

Hopefully this will happen with rendering. It will be the norm to buy pre bagged but at the moment there are hard up rendering companies out there undercutting the more up to date more modern renderers by using the old methods. But if you have a cheap enough and fit enough lab then can we blame em? I have got to the point now that I am not giving customers a choice but pricing for the modern methods or find someone else.

I have a competitor near me who still works off towers, hacks back to scratch coat, pva,s and uses 50/50 washed and building with hardly any beads. A bit cheaper than me but makes a hell of a lot more ££££ than I do. How he gets away with H&S i don't know! With any luck he will fall of his staging board and breaks his legs in 6 places.

You got the satisfaction that your doing a better job tho pal... yes its easy to be rough but we got pride.. and maybe these rough arses dont even know their being rough ? they just dont know any better..

Thanks for the kind words mate.

so basically most agree with essexboy that s/c is better than OCR ?? oh dear.. I have been plastering 32 years and some of you must know ur talkin bollox ?? its admirable defending essexboy.. but have a listen to urselves...wtf...

You've got so carried away slagging people off on here that you've sight of the discussion. At no point did I say or imply that S&C is better than OCR. What I've said is that used properly S&C is to all intents and purposes equal to OCR but cheaper.
Smaller one off jobs, OCR makes perfect sense.

I've had many labs over the years, most I considered to be not up to the job but I can't think of more than a couple that couldn't bring me decent consistent muck once shown how.

A good labourer is just as important as a good plasterer. You can spot pretty quickly if they have no attitude problems and plenty of movement about them. But they are hard to find, if we advertise for labs the phone never stops but a lot of lazy gits out there. when you get good ones pay and treat them well and show them respect, and in return they deliver.

It's like all of the new products, they are all to expensive which basically will price the average joe out of the market.

with all new products, if there better than the old, you sell that to the customer.. it doesnt cost you anymore, depends which market you work in.. and if whatever product your using, if it produces a better job, I will use it.

It's like all of the new products, they are all to expensive which basically will price the average joe out of the market.

Premixed products are a rip off. effectively your paying 4 quid for a paper bag.

60 quid for texture its like twice the price of Johnstone exterior paint. And half the bucket is silica sand.

I sieved a bucket of weber sil today. Only half the bucket was paint the rest grit.

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

Status
Not open for further replies.