Render advice

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Went out and picked up 3 bags of ocr and a tub of k-rend accelerator today. had the test panel up by 10am , rubed it up about 3 hrs later and finished with a sponge. This stuff is fantastic. the guys loved it and the fine finish is top knotch. 16mm in one hit , no sags, water bleed or any problems. It definatley needed the accelerator as it was only 5 degrees but it was hardish by 5pm . ordered another 170 bags, and scraped the sand and cement route. I think material wise it will be about 40 % more than s/c but their will be a big saving in labour. Thanks to those who suggested OCR

I reckon using OCR will cost you over three times as much as S&C. IMHO OCR only works out cheaper on small areas where you complete the area in one day. The finish of OCR isn't any better than a decent mix of S&C used by decent tradesmen.

OCR is great, I dont use sand/cement much now, everything is in the bag, just bang it in the mixer, no gauging gear out, lovely jubbly, I just pass the cost to the customer, so doesnt cost me anymore... no impurities in it aswell.... finishes beautiful aswell..

It's the cost that stops me using ocr

When you work it out tho John, sand,cement, plastisicer, waterproofer, then you got to scratch coat, then top coat... OCR bang it on and finish same day, no leaves or dog **** going in the sand..lol

​probably has its uses, but it won't suit large areas cost wise, when I mix sand and cement I mix it to suit the background and additives to suit this as well, I never used OCR so I can't argue pros or cons about it, sometimes render is upto 30/40 thickness in sections so a scratch coat sorts that out..

I reckon using OCR will cost you over three times as much as S&C. IMHO OCR only works out cheaper on small areas where you complete the area in one day. The finish of OCR isn't any better than a decent mix of S&C used by decent tradesmen.
each to their own.. I charge more because OCR is technically better than S/C... my customers will pay for that.. which decent tradesman does yours for ya...lol..

each to their own.. I charge more because OCR is technically better than S/C... my customers will pay for that.. which decent tradesman does yours for ya...lol..

How'd you work that out? There's nothing wrong with S&C used properly. Perhaps that's why you get on better with OCR all the time whereas I chose whatever material will give the desired finish most economically.

Year OCR is a fantastic material i am used to working with velvac windows you only need to do your revels first slip the windows in ,cover them then spray your OCR be very careful not to scratch them as they mark very easy as they are pre finished you could have used a monocouche render and then sealed it after to stop water marks and dirt makrs a couple of years down the line ,please don't let a few bad mono jobs sway the way you feel about the product when done correctly it's the best looking render out there with no need for face filling and painting costs as with any render be careful who you use as it is the first thing you see on a rendered house ,good luck with the project
putz

For straight rendering with no colour hand application I still dont think there is anything as nice to work with/use as sand cement mixwd properly. Ocr is the closest I recon

I think ocr is a better job long term but usability by hand its sc

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Plasterers Forum mobile app

Why do you think OCR is better than S&C long term John? I drive past outsides my old man worked on years before OCR was even on the market and they still look great.
Don't get me wrong I'm not anti OCR in any way other than economics on the right type of jobs.

How much is everyone paying for it(OCR).5.85 is what I paid last time.also what size beads would you use,10mm?

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

Why do you think OCR is better than S&C long term John? I drive past outsides my old man worked on years before OCR was even on the market and they still look great.
Don't get me wrong I'm not anti OCR in any way other than economics on the right type of jobs.
I've not used ocr myself but I guess it eliminates the fact that your labourer has been on the beer the night before and lost his count forgot the lime , waterproofer etc etc

we go for sand and cement for render, we can choose the sharpe sand that gives us the finish we require. we can use additives or leave them out so that we can finish the wall at the time we choose.
i have seen ghosting ,where the blockwork shows through the render when ocr has been used and thats a problem that i do not want.

I use 15mm beads, if applied at the correct thickness you shouldnt get ghosting, OCR has all the elements in the bag, no need to guess each shovel full of sand/cement ,additives etc... I have used tons of sand cement, and if thats what was on a job its no problem, just that OCR is a better product.... architects are specifying OCR more and more.. you can go on a course Essexandy if ya not comfy with it mate... not sure what I pay a bag to be honest, but I just finished a stack... OCR ( 4 bags.. 4xx 15mm beads. 3 15mm stop beads.. scaffold 4 lifts and a 13ft needle into the stack.. 1 x rendaid ) cost 185 quid.... charged 900 quid for the job, customer was very happy, as was I... I find the job site is cleaner aswell, just put the bag in the mixer, no sand/cement all over the place.. i mainly work on high end properties and not building sites, so the cleanliness is important .. i find OCR easy enough to hand apply, never sprayed it tho...

How'd you work that out? There's nothing wrong with S&C used properly. Perhaps that's why you get on better with OCR all the time whereas I chose whatever material will give the desired finish most economically.

I used to harl ( look it up on Google..lol ) castles for the Scottish national trust when I lived in Aberdeen mate... we would have used more sand /cement on one castle than you.ve used in your career...lol...

a
I used to harl ( look it up on Google..lol ) castles for the Scottish national trust when I lived in Aberdeen mate... we would have used more sand /cement on one castle than you.ve used in your career...lol...

love doing work for the national trust or similar groups, they often require the DISTRESSED LOOK FINISH which is a plasterers dream. Bang it on rougher looking the better, and you get paid better prices for doing it. :confused:

a

love doing work for the national trust or similar groups, they often require the DISTRESSED LOOK FINISH which is a plasterers dream. Bang it on rougher looking the better, and you get paid better prices for doing it. :confused:
Not sure about that mate..lol.. remember doing one castle.. took 4 of us about 8 months to wet dash// fuk knowss how many tons we put on that.... massive...

I use 15mm beads, if applied at the correct thickness you shouldnt get ghosting, OCR has all the elements in the bag, no need to guess each shovel full of sand/cement ,additives etc... I have used tons of sand cement, and if thats what was on a job its no problem, just that OCR is a better product.... architects are specifying OCR more and more.. you can go on a course Essexandy if ya not comfy with it mate... not sure what I pay a bag to be honest, but I just finished a stack... OCR ( 4 bags.. 4xx 15mm beads. 3 15mm stop beads.. scaffold 4 lifts and a 13ft needle into the stack.. 1 x rendaid ) cost 185 quid.... charged 900 quid for the job, customer was very happy, as was I... I find the job site is cleaner aswell, just put the bag in the mixer, no sand/cement all over the place.. i mainly work on high end properties and not building sites, so the cleanliness is important .. i find OCR easy enough to hand apply, never sprayed it tho...

All that proves is that you know nothing about my career and that you think OCR is superior because there's "no need to guess each shovel full of sand/cement, additives etc". We don't all guess cassie.

I remember the castle nisus done!!!!
Traditional style too! He posted pics..lovely Job.......didn't take 8 months tho?.:RpS_scared:

All that proves is that you know nothing about my career and that you think OCR is superior because there's "no need to guess each shovel full of sand/cement, additives etc". We don't all guess cassie.

Your a prick mate... ok.. so you gauge your sand in a bucket screed the top off level, same with the cement, lime if using it.. so the gauge with the damp sand is the same as with dry sand/ ?? see why I know ur a prick ?? do you gauge the waterproofer/ plasticiser or just glug some in ?? or do you use fairy liquid... with OCR you add the 5lt of water and the bag of OCR.. same every time.. and Im pretty sure Ive put more sand and cement on than you,ve had fuks off ya boyfriend..lol.... i dont need to know about ur so called career.. i can see by ur replies you have ltd knowledge...

Your a prick mate... ok.. so you gauge your sand in a bucket screed the top off level, same with the cement, lime if using it.. so the gauge with the damp sand is the same as with dry sand/ ?? see why I know ur a prick ?? do you gauge the waterproofer/ plasticiser or just glug some in ?? or do you use fairy liquid... with OCR you add the 5lt of water and the bag of OCR.. same every time.. and Im pretty sure Ive put more sand and cement on than you,ve had fuks off ya boyfriend..lol.... i dont need to know about ur so called career.. i can see by ur replies you have ltd knowledge...

PMSL I'd call thirty two years doing the same job a career wouldn't you?

Why the need for abuse just because I don't think OCR is the answer foe every job?

Oh and of course we gauge the waterproofer/plasticiser, doesn't everyone?

PMSL I'd call thirty two years doing the same job a career wouldn't you?

Why the need for abuse just because I don't think OCR is the answer foe every job?

Oh and of course we gauge the waterproofer/plasticiser, doesn't everyone?

That it ??? lmfao...

b.e.l.l.e.n.d.

I`ve used ocr and think its a really good product used on the right job.although if your pricing a job and there a few more spreads pricing also(which is most jobs )you will be at least 2 quid a m2 more just on the materials.
surely there will be another firm making it fairly soon,hopefully cheaper though!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.