Removing Tyrolean Render thin-ish coat

Members online

Rhys Allison

Hi all,

I'm no plasterer, the most experience I have is drylining and getting someone in to skim over.

Our house has a tyrolean render to the front elevation, it seems like a thin coat as you can see the joints of brickwork through the finish.

We would love to expose the brickwork completely but we know they'll be extensive repairs required After removal.

What is the best way to remove the tyrolean without causing damage to the bricks? We'll be doing it ourselves so we have as much time as needed.

From experience with removing plaster, hand and chisel is preferred than using power tools.

Would shot/sand blasting cause damage?

Attachments

• IMG_8176.JPG
    IMG_8176.JPG
    863.2 KB · Views: 888
  • IMG_9119.JPG
    IMG_9119.JPG
    816.4 KB · Views: 583
You would need to remove the render first...

Then shotblasting to tidy up...

Then have it re-pointed most likley

Are you absolutely sure that the front is rendered at all?
Personally I think that looks like one of those textured spray coats that several firms, used to/may still punt about as the 'cure all', solutions to homeowners.
I'd imagine that they'd be a nightmare to remove.

Are you absolutely sure that the front is rendered at all?
Personally I think that looks like one of those textured spray coats that several firms, used to/may still punt about as the 'cure all', solutions to homeowners.
I'd imagine that they'd be a nightmare to remove.

You're right, it's not a thick render it's one of the spray on coats similar to tyrolean or k-rend.

Any suggestions on how to remove it?

Last edited by a moderator: