Removing tiles from plaster board

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve28

My mate has said that he may need my services soon as he's taking tiles down in his bathroom (which is completely tiled) and he says that the walls are d&d. (1) Is this likely to leave the plasterboard in a right mess? (2) Whats the best way to remove the tiles to limit the damage?
He was wanting me to repair any plasterboard so he can retile, (3) has anyone done this? if anyone has, (4) what can I expect?
(5) Could he not just tile on top of the tiles if he wanted to save him a job?

best thing 2 do is over tile..or u might as well rip all the boards off the wall and start fresh..
done it b4.

once tiles are off simply bond out the boards to give you a nice smooth surface to tile on

there's a tool out that might help reduce damage to wall called tile removing trowel. ridgeons stock it. about £20.

there's a tool out that might help reduce damage to wall called tile removing trowel. ridgeons stock it. about £20.

Is there any other shops stock this? B&Q, maxwells, focus etc. I cant seem to find one.

id personally never tile straight ontop of other tiles as you dont know how well they are fixed in placed by the previous tiler etc, could be ready to fall off, and those plus the tiles you are adding will more than likely exceed the recommended weight limit, should imagine if the boards are too old and ruined by moisture etc they'll just rip off the top layer of paper, bond up the gaps, make sure its flat and tile away :cool:

or for a really good guarantee against youre work rip the lot off board/dabs .......everything and redo it :cool:

aye rip the whole lot off and do it again, jsut make sure the boards are put on nice and plumb and square, floor tiles especially will look odd if the walls are far off square

Status
Not open for further replies.