Refina Sponge Floats

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Refina

If you managed to read the first one, then here is another! Again can we please hear your input.

Sponge floats are for levelling and smoothing plaster before the final set. They can be used with a water brush to bring back the plaster. They take a bit of stickiness out of the plaster
Customer comments
“Sponging the plaster allows use of the s*p*r*lex skimming spatula again; wait till plaster has firmed up a little bit; mist and sponge the walls or ceilingsâ€￾
“I prefer apply two coats and to sponge even over skim work as the finish looks a lot better i.e. no water marks and one uniform colour. Allow 3-5mins until sponge lines are not so wet and have started to firm up again; don’t flatten it in while still really wet as you will just take it offâ€￾
“I get a good laugh at reading some of the comments on the old trowel finish verses sponge finish. I find it hard to believe there are still some plasterers out there that don’t like the sponge. I know plenty of very good spreads that won’t use it; the sponge wins almost every time for me and the only time it doesn’t work for me is when its used on Knauf skimming, or in very small areas, pipes plugs where you cannot get the sponge inâ€￾
“For people that want to get into using a sponge don’t forget there are generally two kinds of sponges, one rough and one smooth. I use them in different ways. When working alone I would knock one bag to one and half bag mix of multi on a re skim, this for me is usually comfortable. I would apply two coats and use the smooth sponge. The difference is the smooth or finishing sponge, tightens the skimming in better, but it takes longer to rub up and this sets it faster, so I can get away with one less trowelling if I wanted to. Now for the rough sponge, I use this when putting a bigger batch on, that is one and a half to a two bag mix of multi. This is my maximum as I still like to two coat and get two thirds on as quick as possible. I rough sponge then get the other third on, It can be sponged very quickly using the rough sponge, and this seems to hold the skimming back giving me plenty of time to get over the bigger batchâ€￾
“If you are a good plasterer there should be no difference between trowel finishing or sponge finishing, one coat or two makes no difference. The one or two coats in my case is only down to setting times and its just I prefer to two coat; really its just one coat and a lay in 80% of the time to make life a little easier nowadays. As for the better job, for me it comes down to the sponge can knock one hour off a six hour room, with less stress on the elbow; itjust makes skimming that little bit easierâ€￾

Wickes sponge floats half price this week around£8 i think get in there boys.

Mate surely thats not a customer comment thats Refina giving a tutorial on cowboy finishing.

unfortunately not! is the review really useless? do you use the sponge floats? if so, would love to hear your comments on how its used. the more information the better

The glue is not good enough on your sponge floats, the sponges always peel away from the float after about 4 weeks. We fix them with contact adhesive which is not a massive problem but shouldnt need to be done

The glue is not good enough on your sponge floats, the sponges always peel away from the float after about 4 weeks. We fix them with contact adhesive which is not a massive problem but shouldnt need to be done

yeah we have actually had a few sponges recently that have come away from the float before they have been sent anywhere. the boss is going to see our supplier later this month to raise this issue. I'll give him a reminder and see what feedback we get. 4 weeks is appaulling!

yeah we have actually had a few sponges recently that have come away from the float before they have been sent anywhere. the boss is going to see our supplier later this month to raise this issue. I'll give him a reminder and see what feedback we get. 4 weeks is appaulling!

So I take it that in the mean time you won't be selling any sponge floats, as you wouldn't want to be sending potentially faulty goods would you?

So I take it that in the mean time you won't be selling any sponge floats, as you wouldn't want to be sending potentially faulty goods would you?

luckily we check all your products before they go out! so the faulty ones are kept behind. One day i might come on the forum to a positive comment for Refina haha

I think ur arite refina. You sell a massive range of products and i used to keep ur book in the bog in the old days i ended up at one point having every bit of kit you sold for plasterin ( that i wanted) even the pointless bead crimper and shitty 110 v sander for rasping that the rasp wont stay on and u get vibration white finger all over ur body from five minutes use

luckily we check all your products before they go out! so the faulty ones are kept behind. One day i might come on the forum to a positive comment for Refina haha

harry i think your the best....................:RpS_thumbsup:.............will that do marra??

I think ur arite refina. You sell a massive range of products and i used to keep ur book in the bog in the old days i ended up at one point having every bit of kit you sold for plasterin ( that i wanted) even the pointless bead crimper and shitty 110 v sander for rasping that the rasp wont stay on and u get vibration white finger all over ur body from five minutes use

gadget man!

Would appreciate someone's positive guide to use of Refina's Finishing Spatula & the use of a Sponge Float on plastering a ceiling & walls.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to raise a new question on technique.
Thanks.
Wayne

have a dig around some older posts marra. im sure this question has come up loads. Welcome to the forum...................:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.