Question for the domestic lads

dsdave

Just got a skim only job on a large Grade 11 listed building (every ceiling and wall ). Some of the walls aren't the best ,so was thinking about bedding render mesh into first coat. Have any of you lads tried this ???. Any feedback much appreciated . Dave DS Plasterers

Just got a skim only job on a large Grade 11 listed building (every ceiling and wall ). Some of the walls aren't the best ,so was thinking about bedding render mesh into first coat. Have any of you lads tried this ???. Any feedback much appreciated . Dave DS Plasterers
I never have or do mate

No but have thought about it. Alternatively you could just skimming cracks and add fibres to the mix. Small ones obviously tdp make some and they pretty good on moody lathe and plaster.

done it loads mate just make sure your first coat is quite thick don't lap any of it either and have some of them cut to length first when the mesh is on trowel it back as tight as you can or itcould grin through then a decent second coat mate

Done it a fair few times when they don't want to pay for full replacement.

I actually plastered the victorian house I recently bought and embedded JUB mesh in to some very nasty cracks. Sound as a pound - cracking like f**k above the rads but...the painter can sort them out!

Yes I've tried this numerous times mate very time consuming though so price in for that.. plus you have to let that first coat set quite a bit before applying second as the suction is quite high. I've had no call backs from it after going over minor cracks

Yes lots of times bud, for them jobs where there's cornice and not enough room to overboard, works really well and flattens in lovely, fresh mix for second coat and as everyone says leave it to pull in before doubling up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback,will give it a try.its not every wall just half a dozen that's hair line cracked.

on very poor walls and rakes were it it is an odd shape to overboard. we have applied pva then bedded the scrim into a coat of bonding. this does tighten the areas up.

Agree with Spansky, it flattens really well, I actually like laying on with the stuff, good grip. As mentioned cut to size before hand and away you go. First time I did it I thought it would be a nightmare covering it all without bits poking through, but strangely enough and I still can't work out why, it's easier to cover than thin shitty scrim.

I've tried it with bonding, multi and also airless plaster bit fiddly when bedding to a ceiling on your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if you look at it this way it's saves mess it's a lot cheaper than hacking off and re boarding or roughing out.
Buy decent mesh though because it's a pain in the ass when it frays.
As far as cost it's time consuming not just putting on but waiting longer for it to set for the second coat add half a day wages in

Useful info lads, I had wondered whether to try it. I will have some grotty walls to overskim in a month or so, I'm thinking of laying mesh into a coat of bonding. This post has helped me make a plan.

How much more would you charge for doing it or would you just charge for materials

Just materials. I find if I can do something during a hit then I won't charge. Cutting strips is quick and surprising how much you can cover when you get the hang of it. I love the stuff.

Just materials. I find if I can do something during a hit then I won't charge. Cutting strips is quick and surprising how much you can cover when you get the hang of it. I love the stuff.
No chance, I charge a fortune for doing it as it's a pain in the ass

Yes I've bed mesh in finish before, worked a treat. Grade 2 listed! I wouldn't touch it with anything other than lime, the building at least deserves to be treated with the correct materials given its construction method

Yes I've bed mesh in finish before, worked a treat. Grade 2 listed! I wouldn't touch it with anything other than lime, the building at least deserves to be treated with the correct materials given its construction method
Good point tbf

No chance, I charge a fortune for doing it as it's a pain in the ass

Horses for courses, lot on here say PVAing is nothing (see unifinish debate) whereas I hate it and always charge for it. I find on dusty Victorian walls, PVA then stick up mesh, no need to even bed in. Piece of piss.

Horses for courses, lot on here say PVAing is nothing (see unifinish debate) whereas I hate it and always charge for it. I find on dusty Victorian walls, PVA then stick up mesh, no need to even bed in. Piece of piss.
You just stick the mesh to the pva?

Yup defo the way to go I've been doing that on pretty much every reskim these last couple of years as peace of mind with no comebacks