Quality of work in England

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys before I start I ain't saying I'm the greatest :RpS_cool:
I have been working down south for the past 3 weeks in and around Birmingham doing the full sto system i have seen some things working with guys that can't lift a trowel.
But Jesus christ the finished article they are leaving from polish and english tradesmen is without doubt the worst I have ever seen in my life.
i have been on a job today in Doncaster and they have a squad of dashers that are using there hands to put pebbles on the wall yes you read that right.
shambles
oh by the way I'm not the greatest and don't claim to be but if I was leaving the standard of work these guys are leaving I would put my tools in the bin.

This is all cuz the powers that be are too tight to pay proper rates for proper tradesmen....cuz everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

When will it end?

I think it depends of the grit finish your putting on the outside - 1mm or smaller and you will see trowel marks,etc.....

a wavy basecoat will be seen regardless of the finish - especially in the wrong light....

I think it depends of the grit finish your putting on the outside - 1mm or smaller and you will see trowel marks,etc.....

a wavy basecoat will be seen regardless of the finish - especially in the wrong light....

A badly applied base coat will never be concealed properly , regardless of the grain size- possible exceptions being R grains

I agree I have seen some f**king diabolic work this year. I looked at a job yesterday, house re rendered didn't see the back but damp penetrating internally. On the front they had roughcasted over paint, and it was coming away in sheets. Internally my god..cracks running through all the walls where too much suction in badly prepared background had made it craze, 3mm or so lips at all angles where it hadn't been brushed in. pits in the skim.

I've been seeing this all year, some areas of Bristol you drive around and the render has come off the houses and just been left.

I can't understand it why are people cutting corners on work? So many quotes I've done and people just don't f**king listen all they care about is cost.

I thought the recession was supposed to get rid of the cr*p tradesman, but they seem to be thriving.

I agree I have seen some f**king diabolic work this year. I looked at a job yesterday, house re rendered didn't see the back but damp penetrating internally. On the front they had roughcasted over paint, and it was coming away in sheets. Internally my god..cracks running through all the walls where too much suction in badly prepared background had made it craze, 3mm or so lips at all angles where it hadn't been brushed in. pits in the skim.

I've been seeing this all year, some areas of Bristol you drive around and the render has come off the houses and just been left.

I can't understand it why are people cutting corners on work? So many quotes I've done and people just don't f**king listen all they care about is cost.

I thought the recession was supposed to get rid of the cr*p tradesman, but they seem to be thriving.

What's this "brushing in angles" malarky?
Crap "tradesmen" if you want to call them that often thrive in a recession, it's often the good guys who decide to get out of the trade all together because of the rubbish rates caused by...........I'm not going there again.

7yr or so ago i worked for a guy doing refurbs to studant accom in leeds.these were teraced houses,turning them into flats.we were getting about 2grand per house.a firm were doing the same for the developer in the next street....the''spreads'' were charging 1grand,the walls were one coated then when dry sanded with an electric orbital sander:RpS_scared:
the developer didnt care,walls were sort of paintable,and they saved money.

I think it was JFE who said it first.......... tick over for a few years, then there will me tonnes of refurb work for the quality tradesmen!

Ticking over is not so easy when you have a unit, van, insurance, etc etc

Andy what I mean is brushing internals, I always use a 1 inch brush to finish and leave nice clean lines.

Runwithscissors, I put in a quote for that job, aquaboard, thin coat top. Price to high, same old story. Says hes going to clad it now lol.

Ok guys before I start I ain't saying I'm the greatest :RpS_cool:
I have been working down south for the past 3 weeks in and around Birmingham doing the full sto system i have seen some things working with guys that can't lift a trowel.
But Jesus christ the finished article they are leaving from polish and english tradesmen is without doubt the worst I have ever seen in my life.
i have been on a job today in Doncaster and they have a squad of dashers that are using there hands to put pebbles on the wall yes you read that right.
shambles
oh by the way I'm not the greatest and don't claim to be but if I was leaving the standard of work these guys are leaving I would put my tools in the bin.

Which site was it in Donny , we were asked to do some dashing at Dunscroft , what a **** hole, site agent was an ex copper , no gear on the jobs and the quality of the work was diabolical as were the rates, we left that same morning and never went back, the contractor we were subbing to also walked a week late i think.
They had loads of guys doing the board work and base coat n mesh but no dashers, but 90% of the work was well below standard even pebble dashed reveals that wouldn't allow for the opening of windows, spoke to one householder and he had not been able to open his windows for a week

At least you didn't drop you're price fair play

No m8 just emailed him and said its a quality, long lasting product that looks fantastic and would be ideal for this application. And good luck with finding an alternative.

Andy what I mean is brushing internals, I always use a 1 inch brush to finish and leave nice clean lines.

Runwithscissors, I put in a quote for that job, aquaboard, thin coat top. Price to high, same old story. Says hes going to clad it now lol.

Sorry FreeD you mean you use a 1in brush to wash of a hard wall when working up to it? If so I use my 6in brush, I don't even own a 1in brush.

Which site was it in Donny , we were asked to do some dashing at Dunscroft , what a **** hole, site agent was an ex copper , no gear on the jobs and the quality of the work was diabolical as were the rates, we left that same morning and never went back, the contractor we were subbing to also walked a week late i think.
They had loads of guys doing the board work and base coat n mesh but no dashers, but 90% of the work was well below standard even pebble dashed reveals that wouldn't allow for the opening of windows, spoke to one householder and he had not been able to open his windows for a week

Disgrace m8

I had a gang of 8-10, from north east, start with us doing EWI..............

What can i say other than ............unbelievable... They are now destroying homes in the northwest.

The list of their shortcomings is too great to mention........plus I'm just getting over the nightmares they created:RpS_scared:

Sorry FreeD you mean you use a 1in brush to wash of a hard wall when working up to it? If so I use my 6in brush, I don't even own a 1in brush.

Yes or for doing wet on wet after corner trowel. Just the way I do it m8, used to use a bigger brush, but use a fine Dulux 1 incher and it gives me a perfect finish every time.

I just don't see the problem, it's never warm enough to want to open the windows up there is it. Or was it to let his pigeons in?

Yes or for doing wet on wet after corner trowel. Just the way I do it m8, used to use a bigger brush, but use a fine Dulux 1 incher and it gives me a perfect finish every time.

But if you're running a brush down after the corner trowel aren't you then getting a brush finish down the internal rather than a nice smooth corner trowel finish?

Sorry to hear about that Freed....... It beats me when people choose to do work on their own house, or build their own house, start off really well and then when it comes to finishing it off (with the things that everone if going to see when the visit) they cut costs and change their mind to make good...... That is internals and externals.......

decide what you want as a finish at the beginning of the job, put in a budget for the work and don;t eat into it! Then get it done right!

FYI - I will always be happy to talk to, or given time, visit potential opportunities (or arrange for a colleague if easier) to assist you in getting the right products and applications used..... (sometimes having a supplier back you up makes the difference)

Here to help guys - some of you know that and have taken advantage of the offer.....

That said - some people have a budget and will do what they want within that budget...... you all see what happens then....

Good Luck going forward Freed - hope to meet up soon....

Status
Not open for further replies.