Quality of finish advice

Members online

They came round to have a look today, they seemed to think the job was ok!

They have agreed to come back and level the walls and re skim the whole room next Friday.

I was very clear that if there were any further issues i would be taking further action. I think a do need to give the a chance to fix it even though im not particularly happy about it.

I will post an update once the work has been done, but thanks for all the advice.

Will definitely be better equipped to find a tradesman for any future jobs.

They have agreed to come back and level the walls and re skim the whole room next Friday.

I was very clear that if there were any further issues i would be taking further action. I think a do need to give the a chance to fix it even though im not particularly happy about it.

I will post an update once the work has been done, but thanks for all the advice.

eh?

that's a shyte job even from the images must be horrendous in the flesh and they seem to think it was ok?

that says it all about them

sorry to say pal you've been well and truly @Casper ed

If they think its ok , put there name up on here, bit of advertising for them...
Fek um, don't be shy

So there's going to skim on Bonding on skim on Bonding on pva'd bricks. What could possibly go wrong?

Come on boys . Who's near Darlington. .
Hi the work is of a very poor standard once it’s painted it will look even worse for a good plasterer to correct that your looking at around £200+ the thing with theses sites like check a trader I’ve never used them I know of many a bad plaster be on there . Not saying there are all bad but always best to get recommendations I’m always busy never quite & lucky enough to pick & choose my builders be good clean fair & quick helps good luck

Hi All,

We are currently renovating our first house, we started with the smallest room (a single bedroom about 2x3m) in November. We had an electrician in for a rewire and found that the plaster in the house is very poorly bonded to the brick with significant sections completly blown.

As I enjoy DIY we decided to see how much we could get done ourselfs. I Iemoved all the old plaster and bonding back to the brickwork on three of the walls , cleaned any loose plaster off and applied PVA. The 4th wall was mostly ok as it is of block construction and for whatever reason the plaster was not blown.

Thats as far as i got when in late November i fractured my back in a car accident. We needed to get the room finished so we could start making use of it again.

We got a highly rated plaster (check a trade) in to finish the job. They came round and assessed the job and quoted us £600 to float and set the walls. We thought this was a little high but needed it done and would have been happy if the quality of work was high.

They did the job in one day, and it did feel like they were rushing. We had a a look and got some snaggs fixed before they left but.

the day after they plastered i noticed the following,
- plaster not level, placing a 1.8m straight edge on the wall reveled shallow patches and maybe a 10-15mm gap vertically from top to bottom.
- multiple bristles from a brush left on in in the surface of the plaster.
- plaster is not flush to the back box for the light switch, to the point where the switch will not sit flush with the wall.
- multiple small rough patches and nicks.
- under the window and in the window relief the plaster has started to craze
- in one part a nail is sticking out of the plaster.
- other cosmetic issues.

They are coming back to discuss the issues next week but as i have no experience with what a quality job looks like i don't know if i'm being to picky, Am i expecting to much from them?

Any advice would be great,

Cheers

Luke
hi been a plasterer for fifty years in 5 weeks still love my job ,should have used bluegrit and in this day and age dot and dab as there is no browning anymore,should have been halve that price

tell them you consent for the images to be uploaded to checkatrade as exemplars of their work