PVA question

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

i was just wondering what you guys do in regards to PVA for re-skimming existing plaster. I normally primer coat wait to dry then adhesive coat which is fine for what I'm doing just now as I can crack on with other stuff waiting for priming coat to dry but what do you do if you're going to a job that's just skimming one wall, do you prime coat the night before or just hang about for it to dry before adhesive coat?

Maybe a stupid question but last few years I've been normally renovating flats so its never really been an issue.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice
what??? you primer then wait till it dries then pva it? :RpS_lol: this has got to be some c**t messing about!! come on who is it???

i think he means he puts a coat of pva on to seal the surface then a tacky coat after ian, god:rolleyes):RpS_lol:

god????? dont get ya mash!! dont think he ment that!! '' I normally primer coat wait to dry then adhesive coat'' primer = primer .. adhesive must mean PVA
if he ment PVAprima and wait till dry then give it another coat hed spend all day sat on his shitta doing the suduka
why would anyone 'primer' pva or not then do it again unless its very dry but surely the bloke hasnt spent all his working time on very dry walls :RpS_drool::rolleyes)

god as in for gods sake IAN
i reckon he ment one coat of pva followed by another one primer coat (sealer) then adhesive coat (tacky for skiming)

i know what you ment ya numpty:rolleyes):RpS_biggrin: lol i was asking why you said god, nar thats not what he ment or hed have said that and even if he did why the fnck would he do that or in fact why would he do either of the opinions ???

it's the best way as far as i'm concerned,do the same with artex....gives a better finish in my opinion.

i'm not paid to rush but to do a decent affective job.....but yes i do spin-it out:RpS_thumbsup:

Just roller pva on with a lambswool roller, sit down and have tea then skim it when tacky.
Artex just the same if its a light pattern, bit heavier and will three coat skim. Sometimes if doing a couple of ceilings will pva and bond coat one day then pva and skim the next. Real heavy Artex gets over boarded and skimmed.

I've never 3 coat skimmed anything,and never seen an artex that's need over boarding.scrape then 2 coats has always done the job for me.

I always use pva on re skims ,just make sure that what you are re skimming is sound and any loose plaster has been sorted out ,then apply pva and when tacky skim away .Don't see the need to pva the day before .

That is what we do on reskims, never had any bother, have never applied Pva the day before think its a totally unnecessary waste of time

I've never 3 coat skimmed anything,and never seen an artex that's need over boarding.scrape then 2 coats has always done the job for me.
We've put one coat on then flattened it to fill out them skimmed as usual - used the extra coat instead of bonding.
Also we've had a couplmofmjons where we've nearly finished the ceiling, just a dry trowel needed and noticed a small bubble and ended up scraping the whole lot off including the Artex. It appears the Artex hasn't bonded in

or just use the british gypsom uni finish !!!!!!!
Thistle Uni-Finish
NO need for PVA and only 1.5 hours setting time 10m2 per bag
mite save a bit of time waiting for the glue to dry.

hold on if theres no waiting for glue to set that meen you bunch of pervs wont have time to try and poke the lady of the house

If you want pva to go off quicker use hot water, a chemist who works at a factory who makes it told me this.

Status
Not open for further replies.